My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Gravelyyard.com
5,922 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I finally went and picked the 58 L with ganged reel mower. It's awesome! I ran it around the yard it really had the grass flying! I wasn't sure it it would even run, but when I got there, it cranked right up on the first spin! No smoke, the starter gear didn't wobble, not bad for a 52 year old tractor. The snow blower looks like it was hardly used, the rotary plow was used 3 times, the rubber on GRW looks new. The tractor was repainted and it leaks from the rear seal, but it sure runs strong.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
5,137 Posts
Very nice!

Looks like you got a 210 in addition to the dog-eater.

Interesting to hear how well the reel mower works. I've wondered whether it was worth getting one of those.

·
Gravelyyard.com
5,922 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Very nice!

Looks like you got a 210 in addition to the dog-eater.

Interesting to hear how well the reel mower works. I've wondered whether it was worth getting one of those.
:sidelaugh No, that my 38" rider blower/trailer weight! I loaded it on the trailer to sell it at the mow-in in Delaware, but nobody wanted it. I took it to Antrams and nobody wanted it. I got tired of loading and unloading it, so I left it on the trailer when I went to pickup a tractor. I realized the trailer rode a lot smoother with it on there than empty, so it lives on the trailer. It went to the mow-in in CT and nobody wanted it! I guess it will go to Antram's this year. It's missing the chain drive crank and it rusty, but the gear box and augers are perfect. You can turn the splined shaft with two fingers! Well, actually, one finger and a thumb if you want to get technical.

The reel mower did good. I was hitting some tall grass and it didn't do well with that, but I didn't expect it to. I'll hit the lawn with the 50" and then hit it with the reels when it needs it's next cutting. I've only mowed part of the yard in the last two months, but we've gotten some good rain in the last week, so the grass (what's left of it) has come back to life. I'm eager to see what it will do when I get the tall grass (8" to 12") out of the way.

Attachments

·
Gravelyyard.com
5,922 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
The reel mowers look like they totally rock. ...until you have to sharpen them?
If you don't let them get too dull, you run them in revese with valve lapping compound on the blades and it will bring them back to sharp. At least that's what i've been told. Never done it before. These are pretty sharp. The PO maintained them well. He gave me the lapping compound and instuctions on how to do it.

·
Gravelyyard.com
5,922 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Shes a dream Ron!
The story was that the PO's neighbor bought it in 1958, mowed with it one summer, got transfered and could not take it with him, so the PO bought it in 59. He's used it to mow and move snow since. It's lived in his garage for the past 52 years. He used it until last fall when he was disabled last winter so he's getting rid of stuff he will never use again. I figured the "used it last year" was just another "it was running when I parked it" so I brought my jumper box, ether and other starting tools, but when I got there, he said it should start and it did! Drove it on the trailer and, after topping off the oil (no dip stick), mowed the yard with it.

Most of the tractors I bring home need major surgery just to look like something you would haul to the scrap yard musch less use. This one just needs a rear oil seal and a paint job.

·
Registered
172 Posts
Wow, that's a great find. Finds like that are very hard to come by down here.

·
Old Iron Connoisseur
2,785 Posts
Wow, that's a great find. Finds like that are very hard to come by down here.

Ahh ha...Competition! Just kidding... it is hard to find Gravely items here in the south east.

·
Premium Member
2,732 Posts
The story was that the PO's neighbor bought it in 1958, mowed with it one summer, got transfered and could not take it with him, so the PO bought it in 59. He's used it to mow and move snow since. It's lived in his garage for the past 52 years. He used it until last fall when he was disabled last winter so he's getting rid of stuff he will never use again. I figured the "used it last year" was just another "it was running when I parked it" so I brought my jumper box, ether and other starting tools, but when I got there, he said it should start and it did! Drove it on the trailer and, after topping off the oil (no dip stick), mowed the yard with it.

Most of the tractors I bring home need major surgery just to look like something you would haul to the scrap yard musch less use. This one just needs a rear oil seal and a paint job.

Ron - it's quite obvious by looking at the pictures, that you grabbed up some very nice stuff. I would agree that "it ran a year ago" often translates to "it hasn't ran in 7-8 years and won't for a while." In contrast to that, your seller obviously took great pride in the care of his equipment. To find an older tractor, GRW's and a complete reel mower setup in that condition is truly uncommon.

Congrats on picking up your new gear - no basket case items there! :fing32:

·
Gravely bug bit.
8,735 Posts
Nice find!!! I have a old reel that Im iching to use, but its REAL dull, and the early non reversing style.. Gotta find someone to do a grinding on it before I hook it up.
One job I hate, sharpening reel mower reels. And even more so on ones that don't reverse.

·
Super Moderator
12,796 Posts
Looks nice. I like the reels. And I did'nt know that they could be reversed for sharpening. It'll be good for you if they really can be sharpened that way.
Just wondering, what is the aprox. swath of the whole thing?
It looks like gear reduction wheels/tires too? They'll be nice to have this winter.
Sounds like you're putting a lot of mileage on that blower...

·
Gravelyyard.com
5,922 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
:ditto:

Is this the one that's going to be painted green Ron? Or did Lindy approve getting this one?:fing32:
If you go by the serial number, it would be the right year, but if you go by the Manufacturing number, it's too old. But It's in a million times better shape than the one that I'm planning on painting green. I guess I could switch the serial number plates! Wait, one's a LI and the other is a L.
:fing20:
yes, she approved. She helped me load it on the trailer. :fing32:

·
Gravelyyard.com
5,922 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Looks nice. I like the reels. And I did'nt know that they could be reversed for sharpening. It'll be good for you if they really can be sharpened that way.
Just wondering, what is the aprox. swath of the whole thing?
It looks like gear reduction wheels/tires too? They'll be nice to have this winter.
Sounds like you're putting a lot of mileage on that blower...
Yes, the reels have a setting that will allow them to spin in reverse. You just apply grinding compound with a brush. I've never done it. They are a 72" cut. You would have to go to a 24-G to get that wide of a cut. Plus, the gangs will follow a lumpy yard better than a ridged deck. And I have plenty of lumps.

I run GRWs on my 62 LI with a square chute. I haven't clogged it yet. Of course, it's not the machine to use if you are in a hurry.

Yes, it's the most traveled 38" in history. It's going to quite valuable some day. :praying:

·
Super Moderator
12,796 Posts
I can see the travel log photos now. 38" at the statue of liberty, 38" at the grand canyon, 38" at the eiffel tower...
You could probably sell it in europe as a giant cheese shredder or a whole hog (boar) meat grinder. "Just connect to your 2CV"

1 - 20 of 28 Posts