My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
3,087 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I suppose some of you may already have seen this on ebay. I've always wanted one of these Case 180's and was offered one from Steve Guider two years ago for $1500 that was complete, but turned it down thinking that was to much.

It was in Parsons Kansas 14 and 1/2 hrs and 891 miles away :swow: . Well I always wanted to go to Kansas, that way if I ever had a problem/issue (and trust me I have plenty of them) all I had to do is click my heels together and say "I wish I were back in Kansas, I wish I..." :D .

I had an offer from Ray Wilson through Rol Farrar to get it to Rols place. So I contacted the OP and he said "heck I'm coming that way, and I can get it to Portland IN during the show there this week for a fee of $25 - and its a mere 4hrs, 240 miles from me, so I jumped on that deal. The only problem was now I can't click my heels and I was looking forward to shaking Rol's TLB down :D , I'll have to make a point of getting over there in the near future.

·
Registered
3,087 Posts
Discussion Starter #2 (Edited)
Anyhow, I made arrangement with the OP to meet him there, however wherever I looked I couldn't get an exact address, I knew it was across from the fairgrounds in Portland, so I stopped in town at an Advance Auto and they pointed me in the right direction.

The problem you see is this show was massive, and I did not have the OP's cell #, he had mine and I told him I would be there between 1:00 and 2:00. Now I enjoy a good show but hadn't planned on spending a great deal of time there as I needed to get back home, I walked and walked and prayed he would call me, but then from some distance I saw that tractor in the first photo and wasn't certain until I got closer - bingo!

He told me "you have no idea how many times I could have sold that today, I've had guys all over it and they know what it is".

Well certainly I could understand that but didn't think much of it. As I entered the grounds with my truck I spotted something else that caught my eye an MTD 990 (I have a plan for one of these that I'll go into on the MTD forum at a later time) with no engine so I thought when I finish loading I'll double back and have a look.

After I loaded it I went back and got out of my truck and went around the front and talked to the guy who had it he wanted $175, which I thought was to much. But I noticed as I got out of the truck there were guys already swarming the truck, as I made my way back one guy was all over me "was it for sale was it - was it?" as we leaned against the box of the truck looking at it (I had not looked these guys directly in the face at this point) I turned and looked at the guy to the right of me (keep in mind them gears of mine turn ever so slowly) I recognize that guy, it took me second (PB Blaster in either earlobe works wonders) it was Steve Guider.

Steve said yeah to his friend "this is the same one we seen earlier today he's just picking it up and the other guy hauled it here for him". Then Steve told me I seen it on your truck and started pointing at it for him (his friend) when we got here I recognized your truck and then I seen you and then told my friend "forget it he won't sell that". The guy knows me to well. :D

Notice the ammo box behind the tractor - makes you kinda wonder how the front got that way huh? :D

·
Registered
3,087 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Now if you look at these two pics you will see that rod obviously goes in that hole on that lever and connects to the hitch.

Steve told me his don't have that (it has the hitch) and he knows nothing about it, but that it looked factory.

·
Registered
3,087 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
This is the 180 coming home, just a mere 891 miles.

Now if you look at these pics you can see the front return line wasn't capped and for some reason being on the back of the truck like that must have created a vacuum and sucked oil out of the axle and lubed my truck, if you look at the pics of it on his trailer - theres no oil on it. Notice even the seat got it.

·
Registered
3,087 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
And here is a mock up, CGTOO you'll have to forgive me as I could not find a yellow seat, so I hope a yellow wheel will suffice. :D

·
Registered
4,744 Posts
I had been watching that auction, just to see what that unit would bring. The Seller sorta shot himself in the foot, as I see it. Your series of pictures slowly revealed part after part that wasn't even shown or mentioned in the listing. I had no idea that the oil cooler came with it, let alone the original engine. I'm not sure if both fenders were in the listing photos or the hood and grille. I do remember that one front wheel was missing but that was no big deal.

I'm pleased to know that this tractor went to someone who will restore it, rather than just part it out and I'm even more pleased that you are the one who got it. Congrats, Frank.

I look forward to seeing a series of resto photos as the process begins and continues.

·
Registered
77 Posts
Nice find. I can't wait to see the finished product.

·
Registered
3,087 Posts
Discussion Starter #10 (Edited)
Thanks so much guys, yeah I'm sorta geeked on this, it will be my priority this summer as funds allow right now I'm pretty tapped out, I already have new AG's for it and will be putting tri-ribs on the front.

CGTOO he told me about finding the engine after I bought it and wanted an additional $50.00 for it so I went for it, the bummer is it doesn't have the shroud. I'll email him and let him know if he finds it I'm willing give him a few bucks for it.

I also got some other misc pieces that I forgot to get pics of, the air cleaner, the front pto shaft with a pully, a bracket (unknown where it goes) and misc hardware.

I thought $1500 was to much for Steves, but in hind sight perhaps not as it was complete, these things are getting so hard to find, I didn't know if I would ever own one, but I do now.

One thing I forgot to mention, on the night this was auctioned we had a real big thunderstorm here in MI and I was without power. I went down the road to see the damage and there was a tree the size of the Titanic laying acroos the power lines. Well I knew the power wouldn't be on in time to bid on this, so I called my sister and she had power so I went over there and we went to dinner. While out my lady friend called me from my house and the power was back on, so I dropped my sister off and headed back home. On my way back my instincts told me to check in so I called my lady friend up and had her check - there was 8 minutes to go. I told her I'm more than 8 minutes from home so I needed her to do me a favor... . She called a few minutes later and said its yours. What a womanzzz! :bannana: :dancingpa :bannana: A short time later I lost my Comcast signal - it didn't come back on until the morning - I guess some things were meant to be.

I'm still missing the pump and valve, the two side shields on the grill (if I had to I could make those) and a dash tower shield on the right, along with a front wheel, I guess I'll be calling Jim Daenzer up. :D

·
Registered
4,744 Posts
Don't go running off in that direction until you download the parts books for the entire 100 series. While it is true that the 130/180, 150/190 and 155/195 were all quite different when it came to "build specs", there are some parts that do interchange. If I were you, I'd begin with an inventory of the missing parts on the 180 and then see if any of them cross over to the later models, especially the more common 155/195's. Joe Hemmi parts those out on a regular basis and some of that stuff goes for ninety-nine cents plus shipping.

The pump isn't a big deal. No one is going to chide you for not having the original one. A new AA pump or A model is less than $200.00. The travel valve may be one of those items that interchange. As for the engine tin and miscellaneous parts, you should be able to find an old Kohler at a local swap meet that will provide all that you need.

·
ROJ
2,183 Posts
i like it Frank,i would like to find another pre 400 series.sounds like we talked you into a 990 project too,i cant wait to see that one also.

·
Registered
2,237 Posts
Hello Frank,
It is great when a plan starts to fall into place, and it would appear this one has! Will make a nice addition to the newest "Case Collection." I agree that it is nice to see someone acquire a piece like this who will put it back together properly!

Along with everyone else, will be watching for pictures as time goes by!

Anytime you get over in my neck of the woods, you know how to reach me! The LBH will almost surely be here!

·
USMC
19,146 Posts
Very nice and I'm looking forward to the finished product. The yellow wheel sure set's it off:fing32: . Good luck with the project and please keep us updated as you progress. slkpk

·
Registered
3,087 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Hello Frank,
It is great when a plan starts to fall into place, and it would appear this one has! Will make a nice addition to the newest "Case Collection." I agree that it is nice to see someone acquire a piece like this who will put it back together properly!

Along with everyone else, will be watching for pictures as time goes by!

Anytime you get over in my neck of the woods, you know how to reach me! The LBH will almost surely be here!
Rol,

I almost contacted you before I left, but I wanted to get back, but I'll take you up on that.

Guys, I'll definetly being posting pics as the project progresses, first order is to make room in the garage as there are just to many tractors in here - man how these things seem to just multiply - their worse than rabbits!

·
Registered
1,877 Posts
Rol,

Guys, I'll definetly being posting pics as the project progresses, first order is to make room in the garage as there are just to many tractors in here - man how these things seem to just multiply - their worse than rabbits!
Yea, I know how they multiply--first, they took over my garage, then my equipment shed and now they are spreading into my neighbors' barns.

·
Registered
20 Posts
That rod you mention in pic 3 is part of the upgrade kit for the belt PTO. Look on page 18 of catalog 39 (colt compact tractors, rotary mowers and dozer blade catalog) I like you wanted that 180 also but got the Colt Rancher 12 instead. Mine has the original belt pto and has not been upgraded like yours has.

Should look nice when you get it finished!

Darren

·
Registered
3,087 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
That rod you mention in pic 3 is part of the upgrade kit for the belt PTO. Look on page 18 of catalog 39 (colt compact tractors, rotary mowers and dozer blade catalog) I like you wanted that 180 also but got the Colt Rancher 12 instead. Mine has the original belt pto and has not been upgraded like yours has.

Should look nice when you get it finished!

Darren
I have no idea Darren, I do have a book I'll have to look at, it goes to the hitch I assumed perhaps it was to raise the hitch to the level position if you were backing into a cart or tool of some sort.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts