My Tractor Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just as the title says, my L130 seems slow, and doesn't want to pull up inclines. The reverse is the worst. It is very slow, and has no power at all.

I believe the drive belt was changed last year (not 100% sure).

Is there an adjustment for the drive belt to tighten it up?

·
Registered
15 Posts
Seems its the transmission. You could try to change the oil in transaxle. If it doesnt help you could order repair kit for your k46 transaxle. Just contact Tuff Torq company they will guide You to the proper repair kit and oil change and etc.
I bought mine X300 with little over 300 hours and immediately changed the oil in transmission now its got about 50% more power and torque.

·
Registered
412 Posts
The k46 transaxle needs to be serviced or replaced. There are threads on this forum that cover both procedures.

·
L120/G110 Hybridizer
1,185 Posts
There is no real adjustment for the drive belt. An idler plate underneath the right side provides tension to the belt with a V-idler and a flat idler. It should rotate freely and will swing out of tension when the brake pedal is pushed. Properly adjusted, pressing the parking brake should first release tension on the drive belt by letting the plate swing around and then apply forward force to the brake rod on the left. So, short answer is that there is no adjustment but the tension plate should be free (not rusted in place).

Having said that, it does sound like your hydro may be the issue, not the drive belt. Reference the many articles on this forum on K46 maintenance, repair and replacement. Use the search boxes at the top and bottom of this page and look for k46, wally2q, stladrill, etc.,.

Paul

·
Registered
388 Posts
The first thing that I would do is prove to myself that the drive belt is in good condition.

Assuming that it is ----- then look at the transmission. Symptoms are same as those that appear when the drive belt is shot -------

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks for the replies.

So what is your suggestion on my next step?

Should I try an oil change, or just go ahead and order the repair kit? (assuming the belt is in good shape)

·
Registered
209 Posts
I always try the cheap fixes first.

Assuming you have ruled out the drive belt, try changing the oil. It is labor intensive, but not very expensive. Look up a guide to it, but basically you pull the transaxle from the tractor and drain it upside down before refilling it.

·
Registered
1,544 Posts
I don't know why Tuff Torq continues to make the K46 and I don't know why JD and others continue to use it on their lawn tractors... especially the X300. Tuff Torq should be ashamed to put their name on that transaxle. Why not replace it with something better since they know its a lemon of a transaxle? I mean its pretty bad when it wont even hold up mowing a slight hill.

·
Tractor Nerd
3,240 Posts
I will agree with you javjacob. k46/k51 are piles of junk. I can make a axle powered by rubberbands that are more durable. When looking at riders (light duty cheap mowers) today. Wither it's a deere, cub, husqvarna, or, simplicity. I would rather get the geared version and stay away from the k46 lemon. The k46 is nice for a couple years if you are lucky. Then you run into issues, or calling turf torq for their pile of crap k46 rebuild kit. Which last another 2-3 years. Do yourself a favor, if you have sloped or hills, or tow a bigger lawn sweeper. Get a garden tractor with a heavier turf torq rearend. Or get a tractor with gears.

I almost bought a D170 this year. I like the looks of it, the 54" deck. Really everything on the tractor is sweet. But when I asked about the rearend, the dealer said it was a k46. I asked if the D170 came with a geared rearend option because the k46 was very light duty. He said no, I told him it's a pile of crap not interested.

·
Registered
4 Posts
I have a JD L130 that has about 650-hrs on it. I just replaced the fluid in the K46 transaxle and it moves better than before I replaced, but still not up to par. Is the K51 a direct replacement for the K46? I know someone giving a Scotts brand tractor away and it has the K51 rear end. I do not have the funds to buy another tractor, or that would have already been done. I know some of the JD L-Series and Scotts brand lawn tractors were VERY similar and was hoping a part out/swap would work. Just wondering...

·
Registered
2 Posts
Just as the title says, my L130 seems slow, and doesn't want to pull up inclines. The reverse is the worst. It is very slow, and has no power at all.

I believe the drive belt was changed last year (not 100% sure).

Is there an adjustment for the drive belt to tighten it up?

·
Registered
2 Posts
My L-130 done that and it was the fan on the transmission!All of the blades were broken off. I pulled the rear end put new oil in and put a new fan on there and run great!Without that fan the transmission runs hot.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts