My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,307 Posts
That is really neat. I wonder if that was an original hitch setup, or if it was custom built out of an old horse drawn rig?

I have an original Gravely hay rake, with the original steel wheels and everything. It was only about 48 inches wide, and had 16-18" diameter wheels. I remember actually using it once, being pulled behind my Grandad on one of the tractors. It's in pieces in the loft in my shed, awaiting a restoration, but it is a lot smaller than the one in the video. Wish I had the time and patience right now to get that project going, but I still have to finish my roller project. Everything is there except for one missing main tine. One of these years.

·
Registered
2,477 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
yeah the old horse drawn units are huge. Mine actually has a smaller rake , about the size of a gravely rake, that attaches behind the wide rake.

Looks as tho he added a gravely hitch to the horsedrawn unit in the pic.

·
Registered
2,534 Posts
The last time I rode on one of those it only had 2 horsepower. The exhust blew right in your face!!!

·
Super Moderator
31,818 Posts
Cool. Hey... You know.. I have used mine before. :D When I first got my land I pulled it behind the tractor to pick up all the cuttings!!

MAN that walkbehind he is using is sure a copy of a Gravely isnt it?

·
Registered
2,477 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
MAN that walkbehind he is using is sure a copy of a Gravely isnt it?

I'll have to ask him, but I beleive it is a Gravely, from sweden. The hood is the thing that throws me. Looks like a gravely except for that. He posted the link to the video on 2 groups I belong to, including the yahoo Gravely group. And the title is Gravely with hay rake.

The same guy has a cool log splitter on a newer Gravely.

·
Registered
2,477 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
That is really neat. I wonder if that was an original hitch setup, or if it was custom built out of an old horse drawn rig?
here is what Kenneth had to say about the hitch

"My rake was designed for horses to. I bouth it from or village blacksmith, Egon his 85 now still doing some small work.
The hitch is the Belos hitch model. I just welded a steel pipe on to the rake. works realy fine."

I'm waiting to hear about the tractor.

·
Registered
2,477 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
here is what Kenneth had to say about the Gravely.

"
It's a swiftamatic chassi with an Swisse MAG 4 stoke engine.
I found the chassi behind a shed at a cemetery and I got the engine
on swedish e-bay."

a video of the build. The last minute or a little less is all black. Other than that it is a cool video.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YUPuxzpNdzU&feature=channel_page

·
Premium Member
1,307 Posts
here is what Kenneth had to say about the hitch

"My rake was designed for horses to. I bouth it from or village blacksmith, Egon his 85 now still doing some small work.
The hitch is the Belos hitch model. I just welded a steel pipe on to the rake. works realy fine."

I'm waiting to hear about the tractor.

Stonykill

Thanks for the info. It's definitely a neat old hay rake system. While I'm not above making changes to equipment, I generally like to keep it as close to original as practical for a working tool.

·
Registered
251 Posts
"The last time I rode on one of those it only had 2 horsepower. The exhust blew right in your face!!!" :thSick: Funny stuff there. Cute old rake!

Ron

·
Registered
2,477 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Stonykill

Thanks for the info. It's definitely a neat old hay rake system. While I'm not above making changes to equipment, I generally like to keep it as close to original as practical for a working tool.
not me, oem means nothing to me. Having a tool I can afford to perform a task, now thats priceless.

·
Registered
2,951 Posts
I don't think that rake behind the Gravely is a Gravely either, the subject was
hay rakes after all. Just thought the video was awesome, there's nothing being
built like that in this country that I know of.

·
Registered
2,477 Posts
Discussion Starter #15 (Edited)
I don't think that rake behind the Gravely is a Gravely either, the subject was
hay rakes after all. Just thought the video was awesome, there's nothing being
built like that in this country that I know of.
true, it's a horsedrawn rake, but adapted to a Gravely. Now if a Gravely was pulling the machine in your video, it would be on topic. But your video really belongs in the Barn, not the Gravely forum.

posting rule # 1 from the posting do's and don't sticky is below

Some simple Dos and Don'ts

Do's:

* Post threads in appropriate forums.

therefore everything in the subforum Gravely Ariens should pertain to either a Gravely or an Ariens. I know I wouldn't post pictures of my cub cadet in the John Deere sub forum.

·
Registered
2,951 Posts
I'm so very sorry I posted that in the wrong place. I've seen hundreds of threads
take turns but not much hand slapping going on but I guess it happens over
here at the Gravely forum. I come here several time a day and click on "New Posts"
99% of time I don't even look at the what forum something is posted in so I
see one marked Hay Rake and it gets my attention and didn't even see it was in
the Gravely section. If it had said, "My kind of hay rake pulled by a Gravely"
chances are I would never have wasted my time looking at it but seeing as it
was a rake that was nearly identical to one my Grandfather had I thought hey
that's neat, what it was pulled by never really caught my eye. It could have
been pulled by a dog and probably wouldn't have noticed anything but the
rake. Please accept my apology and I'll try to make sure I stay on topic and
not break any more rules.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts