My Tractor Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Retired Super Moderator - Deceased September 2015
26,672 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi Gents! Finally Green and proud of it. Got a '82 317. Has a Series1, rebuilt less than a 100 hours ago. Very quiet and no smoke. Hydro is strong. Paid what I thought was a fair price. Won't say what that was so we don't get a bunch of useless posts of "I can get them for half that price all day long"!
I have a bunch of dumb questions, and I have a Manual, but alot of times it isn't as clear as you guys can explain things. Soooo you will just have to put up with my dum questions. Oh, you could put me on your ignore list, but being a Mod, I don't think you can!:biglaugh::biglaugh:
Ok, dumb question, I know the deck height can be adjusted high so the deck doesn't lower, but I take it the rockshaft cylinder still moves and therefore the need for the lockout link? I ask because I am looking for a 54 blade to put on it.
Thanks
SonnyT

Attachments

·
Registered
2,252 Posts
That is a good looking 317 you got there Sonny. :fing32:

·
26,672 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
You need a lockout valve to shut off fluid to the rockshaft cylinder
Yes maybe, but JD parts shows a lockout shaft to it to be used with a blade, although NLA I can make one easy enough and save the LO Valve pennies to help buy a Blade for now. I think anyways?:trink40:
Had to even buy a Green Carhart Coat! On Sale of course!:fing32:

·
Premium Member
8,196 Posts
Oh how I want the 317 that lives up the road from me.... Good looking sonny!

·
Tractor nut, general nut
461 Posts
Nice Deere, KATT will be proud!

·
Banned
12,901 Posts
Sonny.. Very nice machine.. I'm a huge fan of the 317.. even the series one is a great machine i have two of em.. The valve is 35 bucks to buy plus a few fittings. Don't use just any valve as it is high pressure.. I tired finding a inexpensive electric valve so i could just add a switch to the dash. This would make it so you don't need to reach up under the machine to shut the valve off.

Enjoy that beast.. It will do much more then a person thinks.. you just need to ballast it properly...

·
Registered
1,546 Posts
Sonny: When you put the blade on you remove the mower deck. As far as the "lock out valve" its not mandatory to have one. The inside lever operates the up and down on the blade so that lever has no effect on the rock shaft. The outside lever operates the "Angle" It will still work but the rockshaft go thru it travel then the blade will angle. All the lockout valve does is speed up the process a little. Now all this info is for a tractor with 4 ports on the front.:thThumbsU Now if you only have 2 hyd ports up front I am not sure on that because all of mine are 4 hyd. ports................Gary

·
26,672 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Not working today Gary? I got to find a Blade that I can afford and I will then take off the deck for sure. Yes it has 2 levers and 4 front ports. I am just gathering info. I just saw a 54 in Grain Valley on CL for $395 but it is set up for a 420. :banghead3

·
Registered
181 Posts
The cylinder lock-out doesn't prevent hydro fluid from traveling to the rockshaft hydro cylinder. Instead, it locks the cylinder in one position.

One of the tractor's front port (left hand side, I think) is connected in parallel to the rockshaft. Hydro fluid will take the path of least resistance. The lock-out link makes the rockshaft hydro more difficult to move. So the hydro fluid will travel to the front port instead.

The other option is to connect in a flow diverter. This is a valve, and can be operated from the driver seat. It allows switching between the rockshaft and front port.

Neither is available from JD any more.

·
Premium Member
10,304 Posts
As mentioned above, the 54" blade will work without the lockout valve, you'll just wait a moment before it angles. I haven't tried to put a lockout valve on my 317 yet but as I understand it, it is more complicated than installing one on a 318.

Good luck with that great looking 317!

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.