My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Tractor newb
259 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So monday i was out mowing the lawn when the mower decided it didnt want to move any more. So i pushed it back to the house took the seat pan off and realized the drive belt had snapped. Looked like normal wear over 25 or so years, no big deal.

Went to my JD dealer and asked whats the easiest way to replace that belt, he told me to take the PTO off and undo the steering and drag linkage and feed the belt through. He also stated that the bolt holding the PTO on was reverse threaded.

Well first off their suggestion of taking the steering linkage apart. isnt a very good one, the tension pully is up next to the frame and cant be easily accessed without taking the seat pan off. once the pan is off its easy to route the belt through the steering linkage. then following his directions proceeded to take the PTO off. I managed to not only snap two of the fins off the fly wheel but the bolt was NOT reverse threaded so it snapped after a bit of force.:fing20:

i got the broken part of the bolt off of the shaft and I have a replacement bolt. My main concern are the two broken fins on the fly wheel, is it going to throw it off balance or should I be fine with it the way it is.

I have two JD dealers close to me and both of the are rubbish. next time I will just get on here and ask my questions or use google. I seem to get the correct answers online rather than from a dealership.

·
Certified Master Tinkerer
3,045 Posts
Ah 100 series. As you know now PTO bolt is not reverse thread. I'd try running the motor to see if its out of balance from the two missing fins. I guess it will depend on how much total mass you lost (big pieces of the fin or small?). I'd guess most of the mass is lower. And all you need to do with the steering linkage is remove the bolts on either end of the steering arm mount and thread the belt through but you probably know that now too.

·
Tractor newb
259 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
lol I lost two whole fins, when I get home from work tonight I will get that bolt installed and fire her up, I am not thinking it will do too much in the way of throwing it out of balance. if it is I will make it over to ebay and purchase one off there i am sure there is at least one on there for sale.

the thing that bothers me is the guy made sure I knew the bolt was a reverse thread. If I had been told correctly i would not have had to put the force I did to get the bolt off and damage my flywheel. The broken part backed out with ease thankfully.

other than buying parts from them I am done with talking to either of the JD dealers in my area. On a side note I did get a free hat and t-shirt :)

·
Premium Member
9,754 Posts
And you had " Herd of Deeres " here, too bad you didn't ask here first :sorry1:
Makes you feel :thSick:

·
Tractor newb
259 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
well my interwebz have been down at my house for the last month for "upgrades" so coming on here to ask wasnt as convenient as asking the "repair professionals" at my local JD dealership. lesson learned i guess.

·
Registered
190 Posts
In general bolts holding a clutch or whatever loosen in the direction the motor turns if the designer thinks loosening is a concern.

·
Super Moderator
35,878 Posts
Sounds like you got some bad info for sure! I think I'd have me a little discussion with the guy at the dealership about giving customers bad information. And next time I'd make them read it from the manual in front of me! Good luck with the flywheel situation!

·
Tractor newb
259 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Sounds like you got some bad info for sure! I think I'd have me a little discussion with the guy at the dealership about giving customers bad information. And next time I'd make them read it from the manual in front of me! Good luck with the flywheel situation!
what is done is done, no sense in going back and making it out to be bigger than it is. I take it as a lesson learned. Now I will know not to trust the advice of a desk tech. The scary thing is I saw him go back to the back and look something up on the computer. I assumed it was advice coming from the manual so i didn't think anything of it. I have a nice bonus coming this coming monday I think I may invest in a service manual for the tractor.

Unless someone already has it in digital form that they would want to share :thThumbsU

·
Registered
618 Posts
I have a nice bonus coming this coming monday I think I may invest in a service manual for the tractor.
IMHO,that is the best "tool" you could own for working on your tractor:fing32:

Greg

·
Just Have a Little Faith!
9,271 Posts
I met a man who is a chef. He told me it bothers him when people ask him for a recipe. After all, it's how he makes his living. So, he gives them the recipe, but intentionally changes the proportions.

Do you see where I'm going with this?

·
Registered
1,044 Posts
IMHO,that is the best "tool" you could own for working on anything:fing32:

Greg
Fixed. No matter you tractor, car, truck, washing machine, etc... It is the best tool in your toolbox, bar none. Well, that and forums like these.

Hope you get it fixed. :fing32:

·
Banned
587 Posts
Many years ago I busted couple flywheel fins off a JD 185. After some cursing and got down to thinking, I bought some JB Weld---the extra strength stuff. I made a batch up (JD Weld) and cut two small roofing flashing so they would fit between the flywheel fins. Taken to cloth pins and applied the JB Weld to one side of the flashing and took the other flashing piece and put where the broken fins where. Let it set for 24 hours and removed the flashing. Had to take a file and shape the JD Weld the same size as the other fins. I used that JD 185 for another five years...no problem.

·
Registered
1,398 Posts
If its only a small part of each fin missing maybe you could grind the rest to match the broken ones?:duh:

Good Luck!
dave

·
Super Moderator
35,878 Posts
Yep, having the tech manual is a real plus when working on the tractor. Picked one up on disk after buying the 318 then printed one for the garage!

·
Bring on old man winter.
670 Posts
what is done is done, no sense in going back and making it out to be bigger than it is. I take it as a lesson learned. Now I will know not to trust the advice of a desk tech. The scary thing is I saw him go back to the back and look something up on the computer. I assumed it was advice coming from the manual so i didn't think anything of it.
As a courtesy to the next guy, maybe the tech would like to know he screwed up. The next guy might not be fortunate enough to have access to the awesome wealth of knowledge that is MTF. Just a thought.

·
Registered
3,535 Posts
I would replace the flywheel for 2 reasons.1 because I think you will find it will throw it out of balance.2 because the fins are on there for a reason.To cool the aircooled engine.

I also would not try to reattach them or make new ones using any sort of Silly Puddy.Because if they fail there going to want to take off at a high rate of speed.Maybe the shroud and hood will hold them from sticking in your forhead?But do you really want to take the chance?

·
Premium Member
5,415 Posts
The guy sitting at the counter with clean hands probably isn't the one you want to get tech advice from :fing32: Just my opinion sorry :sorry1: Now if you want to know the price of a new mower he's your man.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts