My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This past spring I bought a house. Needless to say it has a very long driveway, about 1200' of pavement. I was able to pick up a Jacobsen Turfcat II that a local college had used for a while. It is a rear steering, hydrostatic drive and hydraulic PTO, 4 cylinder gas tractor. It had been sitting for a number of years, considering it's age it wasn't in bad shape, but it did need some attention. It came with a 6' cutting deck and a 52" snow blower.

This past summer I used it to cut the grass. It is a near zero turn mower, so it is surprising the tight spots I can get a 6' deck into. During the course of the summer I went through it mechanically to get it running well. I rebuilt the carb due to an accelerator pump leak. I completely took it apart, let it sit in chem dip, set it to factory setting and tuned it a little from there. I replaced all the fluids including the 5 gallons of hydraulic fluid. I also rebuilt the ignition, new rotor, cap, condenser, points, plugs, and wires. I also put a new battery in. It needed a lot of smaller things like a new fuel filter, new vac and fuel lines, new belts, etc. While all of these things sound simple, locating parts can be quite a challenge. The engine is a continental engine, but they actually bought it from Renault. I had to get most of the parts from the UK. Although I have been able to source quite a few NOS parts from ebay. Jacobsen parts are unbelievably expensive so finding other sources is pretty much a requirement if an individual owns a machine like this. Most of the time it is golf courses, businesses, and gov organizations that buy this sort of thing.

So on to the pictures. Go here for the full album, but most of the pics are in the thread
http://s192.beta.photobucket.com/user/rommayo/library/Jacobsen Turfcat II ;

Here it is with the snow blower on it before I started painting it this fall.

The snowblower was first.

There was more prep work done, then it was wiped down with acetone and a tack cloth was used to get the rest of the dust. John Deere enemel primer was used.

Gloss was sprayed in the second stage area as well as the chute. All spraying was done outside AWAY from the corvette!

First coat of john deere blitz black flat black paint

Here is it finished. I replaced all of the fasteners with stainless as well.

Next was disassembling and prepping the tractor.

Some primer

Some color

Adding mounts for a heat and electric switch panel

New lights, (6) 48 watt led flood lights, 2800+ lumens each

New seat

Canvas dyed

Lettering came in

Panel back together, stainless used on all bolts that were replaced

Roof and lights on

Let there be light!

I got a great deal on a new power broom from the manufacturer of the snowblower

I finished just in time for the snow. I started with the blower but the snow was so wet and heavy it clogged the chute after it started to rain. I switched to the broom and it worked perfect!

·
Registered
66 Posts
It looks real nice. And it should work awesome. My brother-in-law had the same mower as yours with the 4cyl gas Continental and the day he bought it we went out in my pasture and mowed down some wet grass about 14" tall (it was raining) and it didn't even leave a streak.

I just sold my T422D which is basically the same as yours but a diesel Kubota. Mine had the 72" deep tunnel deck, sweepster sweeper. It also had the same blower as yours except it had hydraulic rotate instead of electric and hydraulic angle on the sweeper. I really liked the snowblower quick hitch and the hydraulic couplers make it a snap to change implements. I wish I could have kept it but needed the cash to pay for my CUT.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
It looks real nice. And it should work awesome. My brother-in-law had the same mower as yours with the 4cyl gas Continental and the day he bought it we went out in my pasture and mowed down some wet grass about 14" tall (it was raining) and it didn't even leave a streak.

I just sold my T422D which is basically the same as yours but a diesel Kubota. Mine had the 72" deep tunnel deck, sweepster sweeper. It also had the same blower as yours except it had hydraulic rotate instead of electric and hydraulic angle on the sweeper. I really liked the snowblower quick hitch and the hydraulic couplers make it a snap to change implements. I wish I could have kept it but needed the cash to pay for my CUT.
The cutting deck works well. I did a neighbors house this summer that had tall grass from the house being vacant before he bought it. The grass was well over a foot tall. It did have a little trouble but it was before I put new blades on it and the governor wasn't letting it rev to full rpm at the time. I'm sure if I did it again with the new blades and proper rpm it would do much better.

The quick hitch is nice. It makes it a 5-10 minute process to switch from the blower to the broom or vise versa. I'm really impressed with how well the broom has been working. We have had mostly wet snow lately and the broom just does an amazing job. We had about 4 inches yesterday and it moves it like there isn't anything there. It is really nice how it gets right down to bare pavement.

I do want to add it a hydraulic angle to the broom. If I did that I may put a small hydro motor on the blower chute as well since I would already have lines and a valve. I have a spare spool valve, the same that is used for the lift, I could use that. I was thinking I could also get an electric linear actuator as well for a faster installation instead.

I have 125lbs of lead bars to add to the back between the radiator and the back cowl cover. I don't want to hang a weight box off the back and 8" wheel weights just aren't enough on their own. The rear end is so light it makes it very difficult to steer when you have an accessory on the front, if you have the accessorylifted up it is even worse. In the summer it isn't' too bad, but with snow on the ground it is near impossible to steer at times.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
The seat is just freakin AWESOME , tractor looks great as well !
Thanks! I love the seat too, it's very comfortable and it's actually tall enough to rest your head on. I had it left over from a closed dealership that I liquidated. It's an early 80's new old stock GM seat, that's all I know about it.

I used it again from the snow yesterday, all I can say is I LOVE the rotary broom. It does an amazing job in wet heavy snow.

:greendr:

·
Premium Member
1,307 Posts
OK, I'll bite, since no one else has, on your switch panel, RADAR?!? Are you planning on some hi-tech upgrades, or have you been raiding the dumpster behind the airport?

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
OK, I'll bite, since no one else has, on your switch panel, RADAR?!? Are you planning on some hi-tech upgrades, or have you been raiding the dumpster behind the airport?
I was wondering if anyone would notice that! I bought an 8 gang switch panel intended for a boat. It was the only reasonably priced one that was exactly what I needed (well almost, I still needed bigger breakers). The radar switch is actually for the roof mounted dual orange strobe. The stickers that came with the panel were all marine themed. Radar was the closest thing since it is on the roof and putsout an electromagnetic pulse haha :trink39:

·
Registered
515 Posts
I just ran across this and have to say that your project turned out really nice. You can park that in my garage anytime. :thThumbsU

Would you mind letting me know the source of your lights and are you still happy with them. Thanks!

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I just ran across this and have to say that your project turned out really nice. You can park that in my garage anytime. :thThumbsU

Would you mind letting me know the source of your lights and are you still happy with them. Thanks!
Thanks! It really worked out great last winter for snow removal. I do need some tires for this winter, the turfs just don't cut it in the slippery stuff. I need to rebuild one of the hydraulic couplers too since it started leaking this summer.

The lights are 50 watt LED flood lights. I have to say I don't regret putting so many on. In bad weather the lighting is excellent. I wanted a lot of light but I don't have a big enough alternator to support the amount of light I wanted with conventional lighting. LEDs just fit the bill although they aren't cheap. I have just under 18,000 lumen I believe in total. I didn't buy them at nothern tool, but here is a link to exact ones I have. I paid quite a but less but I bought them factory direct.

http://www.northerntool.com/shop/tools/product_200578619_200578619

·
Registered
515 Posts
Thanks for the reply and link to the lights! Really appreciate it.
You might want to consider chains instead of different tires. Short of studded tires nothing is going to beat them. The loader tractor in my avatar is a diesel conversion and I run chains and weights on it all year around. The tractor and snow blower I'm going to use this winter just received a 21.5 hp. diesel and will also use weights and chains. Any type of rubber on ice and slush will give poor results. Thanks again for the reply and good luck to you this winter :fing32:

·
Premium Member
5,415 Posts
That is very nice :fing32: Kind of like the "Stealth" Jacobsen. Can I ask why you went with JD paint? Previous good experience or are you secretly a JD nut ;)

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
That is very nice :fing32: Kind of like the "Stealth" Jacobsen. Can I ask why you went with JD paint? Previous good experience or are you secretly a JD nut ;)
I went with JD paint for a few reasons, it is pretty tough stuff and it is available locally. Also, I liked the flat black idea.

·
Registered
2,657 Posts
Looks really nice! :fing32:
How come you didn't go back with red? I really like the black though.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #16 (Edited)
I wanted to update that I finally got around to getting a set of tires better suited for winter work. The turf tires worked, but not well at all. I can't really use chains without modifying the fenders as well as spacing the wheels out further well beyond the factory location which would make the wheel track wider than the blower.

The first thing I did last year was add some weight to the rear of the tractor in the form of 125lbs of lead bars hidden in the radiator area. This made it so I could actually steer the tractor. I still couldn't steer it well, but I could point it in the right direction and the rear didn't lift up when I would lift the blower when it is loaded with snow.

The next thing is I wanted to put some better looking wheels on it along with some tires for winter work. The turf tires and rusted wheels just weren't cutting it. The factory wheels on this tractor have a pretty serious offset to set the wheels out a bit. There were plenty of options that were the correct bolt pattern but nothing with the proper offset. I decided to go with some wheels made for a UTV on the drive axle and have some custom spacers made to my design. The spacers are 2.5 inches thick and they also adapt to the unmatched hub and wheel more diameter. They are a perfect fit. For the steering wheels I decided to go with some wheels for a golf cart.

For tires I went with the stock size, but not a tractor tire. For the drive wheels I bought an ATV tire that was very highly rated in the snow. It was the Maxxis Bighorn 2.0 in the 23x10x12 size.

For the rear tires (steering) I went with a snow blower tire, the Carlisle Xtrac in nearly the identical stock size, just 1 inch narrower.

All tires were filled with RV antifreeze for weight. I got just under 2 gallons in each steering wheel and about 7 in each of the drive wheels.

Rear steering wheels: 8x7 aluminum wheels, they are a little wide for the tires but they work just fine.

The custom spacers compensate for the incorrect offset of the wheels. The tires are in the exact factory location in reference to the frame and brake components.

The result...looking great and excellent snow traction. I might add some studs to the tire lugs but I'll have to see how it does in the next storm or two. I had a chance to use it with the steering tires mounted in the last storm and the difference was amazing. The spacers weren't in yet so I was still using turfs on the drive wheels.

Another side project for this tractor was fixing the power steering cylinder that blew a seal earlier in the year. The cylinder was so worn it couldn't be rebuilt. Jacobsen no longer supplies these cylinders and I'm sure the price would have been some amazingly high cost. I couldn't find a bolt on solution that didn't require modifying the tractor or the hydraulic lines. I found a cylinder that was in fact the identical one used from the factory. I had the ports put in the proper orientation and a ball joint mounted. Perfect factory fit!

·
Registered
515 Posts
Thanks for the updates on the blower. I have had excellent results with ATV tires on the drive wheels. :fing32:

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
I got a chance to use the new tires this week when we got just under a foot of snow. It was well worth the upgrade. I didn't have to slow down at all when snowblowing. Previously I had to slow to a crawl anytime snow would pile up in front of the blower because the tires would slip badly, even worse if I was on a hill. Those ATV tires filled at RV antifreeze just powered through it. Between the drive grip it has and actually being able to effectively steer the machine even with the front implement lifted, it's like a whole new tractor in the winter.

1 - 20 of 35 Posts