My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I would normally be on Automotive Forums but the purchase odf a house with a yard required the purchase of a tractor.

I Purchased a 1972 John Deere 110 with a mower and a blower. Last summer the engine gave up the ghost. Being too busy with work I paid a small engine guy to upgrade that tractor to a kohler 14HP. it ran great. During a snow storm this past winter. The starter wire was not tight, it caught fire after filling the fuel.

That lead to a search in the winter for another tractor with a blower. I ended up with a Gravely 8163B. It is amazing.

Due to a fear of being without a tractor in the winter, I found a basket case 20G gravely with an 8163 parts tractor. I built a mower deck shell from scratch to replace a rusted one. And now have a pretty slick machine.

My neighbour bought the parts 8163 and resurected it and is using it to move heavy loads arround his place.

Anyways I hope this cuts it for an intro.

Rick

·
Administrator
21,251 Posts
Hey, Rick, welcome to MTF. Yep, you did a good job on the intro. Sounds like you had some good hands-on work with your machines. Enjoy your visits.

·
Former MTF Admin.
25,773 Posts
Welcome Rick, you did just fine with the intro, and with the purchase of your 8163B as well, was looking at one of those old workhorses online before posting and we've got quite a few gravely fans here, so good to have you with us and enjoy the forums :).

·
ADMINISTRATOR
15,733 Posts
Rick
Yes, with the small exception of :wwp:

Welcome to MTF, can't go wrong with a Gravely.

·
Premium Member
4,784 Posts
Welcome Rick!

Sounds like you did good with that 8163. I predict you'll find that that there's not a lot that old girl won't do well. I'm more of a two-wheel guy, but have been learning to love my 812 :)

Come back soon, and like tiretrx said :wwp:

·
Old Iron Connoisseur
2,785 Posts
Welcome! I'm curious to see this home made deck... sounds like something I would do.

·
Registered
463 Posts
I would normally be on Automotive Forums but the purchase odf a house with a yard required the purchase of a tractor.

I Purchased a 1972 John Deere 110 with a mower and a blower. Last summer the engine gave up the ghost. Being too busy with work I paid a small engine guy to upgrade that tractor to a kohler 14HP. it ran great. During a snow storm this past winter. The starter wire was not tight, it caught fire after filling the fuel.

That lead to a search in the winter for another tractor with a blower. I ended up with a Gravely 8163B. It is amazing.

Due to a fear of being without a tractor in the winter, I found a basket case 20G gravely with an 8163 parts tractor. I built a mower deck shell from scratch to replace a rusted one. And now have a pretty slick machine.

My neighbour bought the parts 8163 and resurected it and is using it to move heavy loads arround his place.

Rick

Sounds great. Send us some pictures.

·
10K and Climbin!
12,304 Posts

·
I Love All Color Tractors
22,321 Posts
:Welcome1:

Sounds like you did really good with the Gravely tractors.

We are a graphically oriented bunch here, so, as the others have already insisted, please post some pics. I really want to see your fabbed up mower deck.

Welcome and enjoy!

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I am testing out the mower to make sure there are no problems. Once I am satisfied off to sandblast and powder coat.

So far it all seems to work nice. The extra wheels seem to make mowing uneven terain much easier.

I will post some detailed pics when I disassemble for coating.

The shell is 1/8th inch steel with a 1/2 x 3/4 flat bar bent to follow the outer lower edge of the front and sides. It seems tough and stiff.

Rick

·
I Love All Color Tractors
22,321 Posts
Thanks for the pics.

That is some fine work! :fing32:

·
Super Moderator
12,070 Posts
:MTF_wel2: You'll like it here. I'm glad to see that you and your neighbor were able to bring back two tractors that others might have given up on. Two more Gravelys saved.
Great job on the mower deck. It looks like it will last as long as your tractors, which is a long, long time.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts