My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
145 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all

My name is Ken and I do not own a tractor yet but I am a proud owner of a AC ~ 1961 motor grader (road grader)

I am looking at buying a inline 4 gas ford 4000 with loader and backhoe, came here to ask a few questions and learn a little and try to help when i can

kenny

·
Super Moderator
32,650 Posts
Kenny, welcome to the forum! Used to have a AC WD years ago (my fathers), good luck on your quest for the 4000!

·
Registered
3,268 Posts
Welcome Ken. I have a couple of 4000 and a couple of 841,basically the same tractor so if you have any ??? just ask. There are some good people here willing to help.
Do you know if the 4000 is an Ag model or a light industrial, or a heavy duty industrial?
Do you know which loader and backhoe make and model it is? When in doubt it's alway best to post some photos if you can.
I am in Great Meadows NJ 07838. Where in Jersey are you located?

Kirk

·
Registered
145 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks all...

Welcome Ken. I have a couple of 4000 and a couple of 841,basically the same tractor so if you have any ??? just ask. There are some good people here willing to help.
Do you know if the 4000 is an Ag model or a light industrial, or a heavy duty industrial?
Do you know which loader and backhoe make and model it is? When in doubt it's alway best to post some photos if you can.
I am in Great Meadows NJ 07838. Where in Jersey are you located?

Kirk

Kirk... It is a AG model... I have pictures but would prefer to send them to you direct cause I have no idea how to post them here.

my email is m e r c 4 5 AT gmail DOT com

I do not know the numbers of the attachments but they are genuine ford attachments.

Tranny was just rebuilt, carb was rebuilt, when he was showing it to me we blew a hose for the stab arms, so he is supposed to fix that and let me come look again, if it blows another hose i will make a large deduction in price and go from there

I live in north nj - like west Milford.

kenny

·
Registered
145 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Oh hey kirk, with the loader and backhoe how big of a trailer u think I need to buy or barrow? I got a f250 with large drop hitch and 2 5/16" ball, I got prodigy electric brake controller as well.

Thanks, Ken

·
Registered
145 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
kirk, thanks for the email... My buddies trailer has two 3500LB axles but is only 16' long

Kenny

·
Premium Member
7,994 Posts
A 16 foot 7,000 pound trailer would be just a tad too small. That tractor with a loader and backhoe plus the weight of the trailer is going to easily be over 6,000 pounds, and I try to stay away from approaching the limits of a trailer. I would say a 9,000 or 10,000 pound trailer should do the trick, and I would say a 20 foot long deck on the trailer just to make sure on the length. If it's got a beavertail, then a 16 foot flat deck with a 4 foot beavertail would probably be fine.

·
Registered
145 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
A 16 foot 7,000 pound trailer would be just a tad too small. That tractor with a loader and backhoe plus the weight of the trailer is going to easily be over 6,000 pounds, and I try to stay away from approaching the limits of a trailer. I would say a 9,000 or 10,000 pound trailer should do the trick, and I would say a 20 foot long deck on the trailer just to make sure on the length. If it's got a beavertail, then a 16 foot flat deck with a 4 foot beavertail would probably be fine.
Thanks, I think ill be looking for a trailer then, right now i have a 7500 LB drop hitch, but what i should have bought was the large pintle drop hitch setup where I can atttach the ball / pintle set up - its good for 10K lbs.

I just spent 250 on this solid bar drop hitch i feel like i really screwed up on this one

kenny

1 - 10 of 10 Posts