My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Premium Member
10,400 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guys, my sister begged for the STX black deck we got done with last fall / winter. Well they called last night to report a large flame out pipe and death! :( Went down and checked if it was seized,it wasn't. Tried to start it, runs wit ha loud clunk that isn't rod sounding? Towed it home and will check it out. Wonder if the valve seat ( s ) worked loose? Can feel the clunk in frame even when you crank it with starter? Engine is smooth running as in no miss, just real loud and scary sounding, or should I say expensive sounding!? :( :Disgus:
Any ideas what to look for? It is a STX 38 black deck Kohler CV13S from my older forum posts. Thanks guys!

·
Bikes/Tractors what else
1,461 Posts
Sounds like they are related to my BIL, DorkMan aka GunBoy. He has destroyed more tools than most people ever own. I don't lend the idiot ANYTHING.

·
Registered
1,777 Posts
The only person I will loan power equipment to is my Dad. Anyone else is SOL

Sounds like rod knock to me if you can feel it going through the frame. I dunno what else would cause such a bang. Engines can still run smooth as far as missing and whatnot with a rod knocking. Sounds like you better crack it open before it comes loose and runs through the block :00000060:

·
not quins. but sextuplets
15,241 Posts
if the rod is knockin....go get nother engine & swap them...lot faster & cheaper too..

·
X530, 48 Deck/44 Blower
899 Posts
Maybe it would be cheaper to replace the whole tractor than to replace the motor (this example is less then $500). :dunno:

Seriously, I'd probably try to determine if it is a rod and if I could fix it reasonably (time and expense) and go from there. I am sure you will figure out a good answer, since you usually do, Eric. :goodl: :care:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/John-Deere-STX38-Tractor-Ready-to-Mow-/230994027932

·
Premium Member
10,400 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks guys! We restored this STX for sale, then my sister says they want to give back the nice little Bolens we gave them for the STX! Figured,ok why not. The Bolens was nicer I thought, sold it. Now this little STX is maybe dead after a total repaint and new seat, so new machine out of question! My dad has a way of taking chicken crap and making chicken salad! Knowing him, he will make two engines into one good one! We also have a good junkyard where we score good tractor parts, just bought a good used 19.5 Opposed twin Briggs for other project. snakemed, thank you! that was a nice word when I needed one! :)
johny,hope you aren't right!! :) I wondered about that, we didn't run it too long in case it is terminal. The little kohler ran so good before too, who knows how many hours it had. The PO mowed a big field with it, so could be worn. The look of it before made me think it wasn't cared for at all!

·
Premium Member
10,400 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Hi dc, if he did, he quick filled it up! Would not put it past him. The engine turned over by hand though, makes me think not. The engine was still hot ,so would have been tight otherwise I would think! I think it was something beyond our control , part of buying a tractor neglected in back yard. You never know what you are getting. It had alot of use I bet, so maybe only a hard run that my in laws yard gives it would show weakness in engine. I plan on checking it tomorrow or Sunday for sure. Curious of the cause!

·
Premium Member
10,400 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Found our issue!!! We took it apart and found the choke flap bolt backed out and got sucked in! Made a heck of a noise when cranking for a small thing! We took it out and cleaned the piston and head. Dad filed the damage best he could. Not the correct fix, but should do for in law. We will start and probably mow tomorrow with it, God willing!

·
Premium Member
3,734 Posts
Had that happen once on a 410 sprint car motor sucked a screw out of the injection butterfly. Made a lot of noise a 9000 rpm :hide:

·
Premium Member
10,400 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
This made a nice loud tick even under starter motor! Thank God it isn't terminal!

·
Three of my friends
9,000 Posts
The exact thing was wrong with my 216 when I bought it,sounded just like a rod,scared me cause I never heard it run before I bought it.

·
Premium Member
10,400 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Hi biker! Tell me about it! Sounds horrible! So happy it wasn't terminal! We worked real hard to get it nice. They didn't use the bagger we put on it from a 111. We took it off and I put on the original deflector and painted it quick. They should be happy today!

·
Premium Member
10,400 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
We got it running! Thank God. The only issue is my sister didn't tell me it doesn't charge battery!! I found out after trying it out with PTO on. Parked it, went to bring it back, dead! I used multimeter and found 12v only. Changed voltage regulator because it is easy and I have known spare, no go. Used test light, and charge lead seemed dead, new stator in future! No biggie, that is what happens when you finish tractor in winter! No debugging can be done!!

·
Registered
2,944 Posts
I take it that little screw didn't scratch up the cylinder wall?

·
Premium Member
10,400 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
LOL Yea! We never even touched those screws when cleaning it! Guess we will check them for now on

·
Premium Member
10,400 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Hi 396, NO!? I was as surprised as anyone! Thank God only damage was to top of piston and some head damage. Dad used file to clean those up and put it back together! We let is sit overnight to allow the sealant to dry on valve cover. Here is the first start,burning oil out of muffler when we were troubleshooting it!

·
Registered
558 Posts
You were lucky, indeed. I've seen that happen on larger engines where is scratched the heck out fo the cylinder wall.

Good luck with your charging system repair.

·
Administrator
12,567 Posts
Sounds good Eric, very good that it wasn't near as bad as you (or I) thought! Those Command engines run a long time and with reasonable maintenance will keep running. Very good news!

1 - 20 of 20 Posts