My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
15,000 +posts!
20,416 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Had quite a day at that swap meet today..ended up not going till today,it rained yesterday morning,was murky all day,then they had a severe thunderstorm pass through last night..

I saw a lot of things there I know many MTF members would have wanted..
I waired until it was about over before buyng much..I did very well,found everything I went there looking for and then some!..heres what I got..

A whole box full of small engine carbs and parts carbs--in the pile were 5 useable flo-jet Briggs carbs,and probably a dozen Tecumseh ones,a few Walbros,many weedwhacker carbs,and some other misc.parts..well worth 12 bucks I paid..

Two 8 HP Briggs recoils with blower shrouds--one dollar each!..now my 8M has a recoil!..and a spare!..so I wont have to "borrow" one off my other 2 Briggs engines.. :)

Got some OEM Briggs govenor springs..2 bucks..

Bought two 13" trailer rims with tires,5 lug,that will fit my Sears tractors,so I can use those 13" studded tires I got at the dump that are like new!..they had trailer tires on them,one good,one bald...didn't care,I just want the rims,hated to have 2 more unwanted tires drug home,but oh well..15 bucks for the pair!..

Them people were really packing up and the place was getting empty--time to really do some dealing..went to one spot where the guy had a "one dollar" sale,for everything on the tarp..I got:

A tailight for me stepside truck: one dollar!

FOR snowplow pistons!--two fisher power angle,two Myers..FOUR BUCKS!!

The same guy sold a Simplicity snowblower,roto-tiller,and a J-D woodchipper,all for the scrap price of TEN BUCKS EACH!..not to me though,I was broke at that point!..he also had a nice K91 Kohler with gear reduction for 50 bucks..

I also saw a "tombstone" Zenith radio from the 30's with the coveted black dial..guy said "5 bucks" when I looked at it..I walked away,but had to walk by there when I boght the carbs,so I said "take 3 bucks?..he said "take it,I was just about to pack up!..I doubt it works though!."...well,he was WRONG,I plugged it in and it not only works,I listened too it all night!..just needs a new cord on the tuner to the knob!..it even looks decent and its case aint too bad,considering its 70 years old!..it is missing the glass over the dial though..

But my best score this week was a FREEBIE off of craigslist!..2 brand new tires for a "Mule"..22 X 11 X 10",Dunlop KT869's...still have parts of the stickers on them!..they are on used rims with a 4 bolt pattern,137MM..gonna have to make adapters to fit my 5 lug 4.5" pattern,but these things will DIG I bet!.
I was shocked when I saw them when I went to get them..they will fit perfect under my Suburbans!..wish I saw some 10" trailer rims with the right 5 lug pattern at the swap meet today,but none..those would only be 6" wide anyay though,probably better off adapting the 10" mide rims that came on the tires instead..

Now all I have to do is figure out how to pay my car insurance friday,and the rest of what I owe on my new glasses this week..but hey,for 45 bucks including admission,I think I got a lot of stuff!..but finding more cash aint gonna be easy..gas also went up 25 cents in 6 days here too..

·
Registered
2,477 Posts
looks like you had a great day and got some terrific deals! It was a good day!

·
15,000 +posts!
20,416 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yeah,it was a good day--only two things I regret getting there--a sunburn on my bald head again,and a severe back acke from walking probably 5 miles!..going to be a hurtin pup for a few days..

I saw a LOT of things I'd have scoffed up if I had more cash,and didn't have to carry it a half a mile to my vehicle..like a "ZZ" Briggs and a model 23D a guy had he was selling for "whatever"..I think 20-50 bucks would have bought the both of them,guy said his neighbor was cleaning out his cellar and was about to scrap them!..I said N00000!!..at least put them on CL,someone will scoff them up!..

I also foolishly passed up a 12V hydraulic pump that had a motor that looked like a starter/generator and a small pump like a miniature one a loader would use for FIVE bucks!...guy selling it was long gone by the time I was able to sneak my vehicle in the sales area and do some real shopping,now that I didn't have to lug an ingot a half a mile!..I saw tons on 5-8 HP Tecumsehs there,some with centrifical clutches going very cheap,10 bucks and up too..
tons of Go-Carts,and several mini bikes,one with a Honda 5 HP for only 80 bucks complete,that needed a seat cover and TLC..many old motorcycles too..even saw a restored army half track for sale!--and the guy DROVE it there,its registered!..saw him leaving in it,it was cool as ****..

I just wish they had a swap meet more often this close to me,there is one at a racetrack a few times a year not too far away but its not as big,which may not be a bad thing really..the things that suck about yesterdays place is the way its set up,its way too far to walk,and it discourages people from buying,they make it a hassle to drive in to pick parts up,with jersey barriers everywhere,narrow ailes,and some that you cant go from one to the next due to drainage ditches--its a nightmare for the guys with trailers and motor homes to navigate...and I also hate the fact they let bicycles in there,people sneak up behind you on them and almost run into you,I got sick of that in a hurry..some guys think blasting music is nessasary too,but it only drives people away and makes negotiating prices difficult,when you cant hear the guy talking!..but it was fun none the less..

·
Registered
4,164 Posts
Well Robert, all in all it seems like you made out okay. Glad you got to find some stuff. You're lucky the weather was so good. ( 'cept for the sunburn )

·
15,000 +posts!
20,416 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Yes,the one at "Great Woods"in Mansfield..no wait, I mean the "Tweeter Center"--no,wait,they went out of bussiness!--It's the "Comcast Center" now!..(at least for THIS year anyway!.)..

There was a guy from CT there selling stuff like sandpaper (DA paper for 15 bucks a roll) and tools cheap that has been selling at many of the swap meets I go too for years--and not the usual China rubbish,all american made mostly..I should have bought some Starret sawsall blades for a buck apeice and a baggie full of solderless connectors for 3 bucks,but he was gone when I went to go back to his spot..wont find them around town for that cheap!..he also had cup style wire brushes for 5 bucks for a grinder,and a ton of other "deals"..(doah!)..

If I had a few hundred bucks I could have easily spent it yesterday,but with it,I could have stocked my shop for years,and bought enough things to play with to last the rest of my life..(that goes for many other swap meets too,not just this one!)..

This swap meet is OK,its mostly cause its ten miles away I like it--but the best ones I have been too are in CT at the Thompson Speedway and Stafford Springs Raceway..kinda far away though,50-75 miles is a long ride if you do buy something large and have to lug it home..but the prices and selection there is usually very good..seen some rare stuff go cheap there before..the biggest I've gone too is one at Hershey PA and Englishtown NJ..those places are incredibly large!..if you cant find it there,you dont need it!..

·
Registered
5,648 Posts
Almost went to the same flea. But the neighbor down the street wanted to put in a new lawn Saturday. Good thing, it rained in Mansfield I hear, then the sun came out. Sunday was yard work day. My cousin bought more than he sold there.
Got an old Ariens 2980 'tiller working after rescueing it from the scrap pile. Didn't think it would run. It has a reverse gear in it, too. The neighbor was grateful. My arm and leg muscles are rebelling. Back to work on Monday.
Only problem with buying more stuff, is you have no place to put it. Unless you move a tractor or 2 out into the weather.

·
15,000 +posts!
20,416 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Yes,thats is a problem--plus the more you have,the more things you must maintain and store properly,or lose them to rust and weather exposure,or just plain sitting unused...my 20x40 quonset is getting full!..my truck body I keep the small engines and related stuff is not full,but it is getting there,I also had a few "tent" garages but have not bothered putting the tarps on them,they get destroyed too fast here...and I try not to drag more stuff home,but instead only buy stuff I need for what I have now..but its hard to pass up freebies too,and I may be getting some more,having made a few new connections recently..

I must keep my collections within reason though,its not my yard,and if I had to dispose of all of it in a hurrry I'd probably have a stroke trying to move it all..getting things organized is the most difficult thing,if you can keep things in one place and not have it scattered all over the place..my junkpile is miniscule compared to the amount of stuff some guys took to the swap meet though,I can only imagine what THEIR garages and yards look like!..

I heard lightning struck REAL close to the campers at the swap meet Saturday night,and heavy rains too--had some nasty thunderstorms move through my sisters area north of Worcester too,and I heard a few barns a siolo's were destroyed in western MA near Rt.91 in Sunderland too--and a F1 tornado in northern VT!...yesterday was very windy,but nice and sunny ,not too hot..almost got blown over by the wind gusts a few times,and many things like canopies were trying to blow away,also many items for sale that weren't heavy enough to stay put too..

·
Registered
1,515 Posts
Tractor- any of those carbs a zenith that fit a Wisconsen 10hp . I found one but it's not a Z . the hole pattern is 1 7/8's mount.

·
15,000 +posts!
20,416 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I haven't had a chance to inventory all the carbs,there are some weird ones in the pile I've never seen before,and a lot of other stuff..most of the carbs are apart and missing some peices,they are mostly for parts,only maybe a half dozen could be bolted on and used..I will look and see if there are any Zeniths in the pile when I get a chance though..

The only "Zenith" I know I have is that antique radio I bought there!..(did some googling,its a 1937 6-S-128,and one is for sale on a site for 599.00!--many others going for 250 or more too!..my 1991 Antique Radio Collectors Guide lists its value at 225 bucks,if it were minty (which its not,missing original knobs ,and the tuner string broken,but hey,it works!..I think it was worth 3 bucks! :) )

1 - 10 of 10 Posts