My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
444 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Last year I cleared about 1 half acre of land and planted a special grass seed that is designed to grow tall and be cut once in a while. The grass has grown in thicker and lusher than I would ever have imagined. The grass is now about 12" high or so.

My plan was to mow the field with my deck in the raised position a few times a year to keep any trees, brush, etc from getting establilshed. Well, I tried this for the first time last night - and it did not go well. I have a 48" deck with a mulching kit - the grass seems to bind up between the ends of the blades and the vertical walls of the deck (the blades run very close to the edge of the deck). Thus, I don't think the mulching kit is the problem here (I am assuming the mulching kit is mostly just the plate that blocks the chute, but the mower came with this option, so I don't know for sure).

Are there any blades or decks design for this kind of cutting? Or, would removing the mulch kit likely solve this problem?

Any input will be greatly appreciated.

Regards, John

·
Likes Vintage JDs
9,875 Posts
Some mulching kits also include baffles that get mounted under the deck, and which narrow the clearances some. You should be able to go on JDparts.com and see what all the mulch kit is comprised of for your particular model mower deck.

Even if it's just a discharge plug, removing the plug should help some. If there's more to the mulching kit than a disharge plug, you might want to remove it all and see if that makes an improvement.

·
Registered
1,777 Posts
Mowing grass that's a foot tall is a hard task for something that has the discharge chute covered. That's ALOT of grass for it to chop and discharge out so if your covering up the exit it holds it under there longer. Open it up and let it blow out. Mulch kit is for the yard not to bush hog with :thThumbsU

·
Registered
70 Posts
I would agree with the others, if you are going to let the grass grow that high than ditch the mulching kit. Mulching is great but you can't let the grass grow that tall...

Having said that, also check to make sure your blades are sharp -- a set of Gator blades might not be a bad idea.

Chris

·
MTF Member
152 Posts
No way is grass that tall going to be cut clean with a garden tractor lawn mower, even with the mower at its highest setting. The front of the mower deck is laying down the tall grass and keeping it bent over while the leading edge of the blades pass over it. There is not enough room to allow the grass to spring back fast enough for a clean cut. Multiple passes while reversing your direction of travel for each pass is your best option. Other than not waiting until the grass is 12" tall to mow it. And slow your travel speed down.

I had that same problem mowing my orchard until I purchased a Woods 3PTH PTO driven, rear discharge, finishing mower for my other tractor.

·
Registered
1,244 Posts
Way too much grass to mulch. See of your deck manual provides for a safe way to use it without mulching. And even then, take half cuts and go slow.

·
Have Dog - Will Travel
6,097 Posts
Sickle bar and baler. Sell it to a neighboring horse farm. Or, find a farmer who will harvest it for the feed.

·
Super Moderator
16,677 Posts
What I find If Your Going to maintain it with Your GT275 Because I use to maintain 17 acres with a JD 240 (all I could afford at the time on a Staff Sergeant's Pay In the Late 1980's) is don’t let the grass get Higher than 6 inches and as other Have stated don't Use a Mulch Kit But you can easily maintain that size Piece of Property with a GT275 I would suggest Investing In a set of Gator Or Predator Blades as well they do a decent Job Cutting 6inches High If You want to Grow It taller you May want to Invest in a Tow able separate engine small Brush Cutter( rough Cut Mower I think is what they actually call them) for Your Tractor which will handle the Taller height of the Grass :thThumbsU

·
Proud JD Owner
1,740 Posts
I have the mulch kit on my X720, and was having the same issue with tall brome grass. It does not help that it is growing fast and extra 'juicy' this time of year. The mulch kit was never designed to deal with that much material. Remove it and you will be fine.

·
Registered
412 Posts
Like others have suggested

A) Get rid of the mulching blades, Plug, and any baffles in the deck that is part of the mulch kit

B) Get plain high lift blades that will suck the long bent grass up, cut it once, and discharge it without cutting it over, and over.

C) Discharge the cut grass in the direction of the already cut grass.

D) will need to go very slow 1MPH

E) If all else fails get a tow able trail mower like Sergeant suggested.

·
MTF Tractor Nut
4,432 Posts
Are there any blades or decks design for this kind of cutting? Or, would removing the mulch kit likely solve this problem?
Remove the mulch kit and look into either Gator blades or the MegMo system.

·
Registered
444 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Update:

By using UrbanTractor's suggestion for looking up the parts diagram for the mulch kit, I was able to easily identify and remove most of the mulch kit. It does appear that the middle blade is replaced as part of the kit, but since I don't have the original blade, not much I can do here.

The mower does much better now on the tall grass, but it it is not at the point where cutting a half acre of tall grass is really a viable option. I am asking my landscaper to cut the tall grass, and then I can hopefully maintain at 6'-8". I will be researching different blades per the above suggestions.

Thanks, John

·
Registered
444 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
My landscaper cut the grass this week - must have used a Woods mower or something similar - did not pick up the cuttings. I now have a ton of long grass cuttings to remove. I have run over them several times with my JD to chop them into smaller pieces, but this is not nearly enough. I am afraid this will kill the grass in spots if not removed. This is way too much for me to hand rake. Any suggestions for removing the grass clipping?

·
Registered
2,984 Posts
If there isn't too much.... use the mower to blow it into rows. Completely out of the yard if you can. If not, you can at least blow it into the rows to make it easier to pick up.

·
Registered
444 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Would this device help ?

·
Registered
444 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
If not, you can at least blow it into the rows to make it easier to pick up.
I ended up making about 5 rows of clippings, each about 100' in length. We then manually raked into piles, and then loaded the piles into the wagon, and dumped at the end of the yard (along the line of wild shrubs - future project).

There were numerous sections of tall grass smashed down by the tractor wheels that were laden with compressed clippings, so I purchased a Brinly de-thatcher to tow behind the . This seemed to help as I made multiple passes wit the JD after raking. Still looks like ****, but I think the risk of killing the grass is greatly mitigated.

The grass should be back to looking great in a week or so. Now I need to develop a long term plan for cutting this grass. I am also looking forward to the massage appointment tomorrow night as my lower back is killing me.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts