My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
That's right. I've got the carb all dialed in and I got to mow for 30 - 40 minutes without a hitch then it quit! I would restart only to have it quit again in a minute or so. No amount of resetting the carb would change "it's" mind. I had to finish with the oldhand mower (another 40 minutes in 88* temps) whew! (Samething hppened last week when i thought the carb settings were screwed up)

When it quit it seemed as though it was not accelerating to match increased loads (eg: suddenly going up hill) I'm thinking governor but the problem didn't appear during the previous 30 - 40 minutes under the same operations conditions.

I'm getting tired of using the push mower, got any suggestions?:drunkie:

·
Cranky Motorsports
15,265 Posts
check the routing of you fuel line and the fuel filter. Try to keep the fuel line all don hill from tank to carb (if possible) and Try taking the filter out, and see if it still does it. Could be running out of gas on load and hills. My neighbor has a newer Craftsman with a 18 or 20 HP briggs in it that happens to him if it has the wrong filter or if the fuel line is clogged.

·
Registered
1,832 Posts
sounds like it might be vapor locking, this is when the carb is getting hot enough to boil the fuel,or cause it to turn to vapor before the engine gets a chance to use it. Check your venting on the hood and fan shrouds, also make sure the screen on the flywheel is spotlessly clean ! these engines need to breath to keep cool.

·
Plowboy
91 Posts
What about the fuel pump. I would be willing to bet it has on since its a garden tractor. Since the fuel tank is more than likely full when you start it would have enough fuel pressure to run the engine for a little while. It's just a thought. I know the fuel tank In my craftsman gt is under the rear seat. I'm pretty sure the new ones are the same. Mine Is a 99' model with the 24 hp kohler v twin.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks guys, but it ain't over yet. Fuel cap vent is good, I was convinced it was the vapor lock so I rerouted the fuel line and placed reflective insulation anywhere there might be a problem, adjusted the carb one more time and fired her up...... It was a sweet sound until I gave her some gas then she choked and died. Restarted and ran fine until putting her into a load situation and she dies! Played with the air mix thing untill I wore the battery down, no luck!

Question, my gas line is routed along the left side of the frame to avouid conflict that may be caused by the mufler. The carb inlet is on the right side front of the motor. The fuel line has to have a 180* radius to feed the carb this radius is around 5" vertical. Is this a problem for a diaphram carb?????

·
Old as Sin
2,187 Posts
don't forget the vent hole in the top of the carburetor

1 - 9 of 9 Posts