My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
8,508 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My garage door opened up at 2AM a few weeks ago. It was in the full up position with the external lights blinking. The only time the lights blink is when the door encounters and obstacle. When that happens, the door goes all the way up and the lights blink. It does not have the optical sensors at the bottom of the rails.

It did it again last week after the door was in the down position for about 30 minutes, and it did it was in the up position when I came home from work today. My wife had left about 40 minutes before I got home.

It is a Stanley chain drive model. I can understand a stray signal triggering the door, but I don't understand the flashing light condition. I don't have the manual, as I am the second owner of this house. I unplug the unit when I leave town.

Any ideas?

·
A day ahead of y'all..
4,597 Posts
The flashing lights indicate the door went "up" because of a signal from the sensor... That's the way most work. Have you been having rain? Possible moisture around the sensors? Check the connections... Mice?

Uncle Greg

·
Ratchet Jaw old Member
10,400 Posts
ROF Mow , thats funny , I cant explain the light blinking lite . But I had the same thing happen time after time . I could open and close the door with the horn on my wifes car . But I found out that the Tyson chicken trucks were haveing a good time in the winter openenig my o/H door , with there CB radios. I didnt solve the problem , I don`t live there anymore . I did kill the power to the door at night.
But I dont know why the lite blinks , Mine did to

·
Registered
8,508 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Greg said:
The flashing lights flash to indicate the door went "up" because of a signal from the sensor... That's the way most work. Have you been having rain? Possible moisture around the sensors? Check the connections... Mice?

Uncle Greg
I wonder what would trigger the sensor, when the door has been shut for an extended length of time?

·
Branded for LIFE !!!
4,451 Posts
Good Idea::When I take My 8yr, old son home to his moms on sun. afternoons ...(bi-weekly) ....He shoots houses on the Way..With my opener..Doors do Open ...1980s Stanley door..Thinking maybe 20 codes compared to new rolling codes...Br. :hide:

·
Registered
8,508 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Greg said:
The flashing lights indicate the door went "up" because of a signal from the sensor... That's the way most work. Have you been having rain? Possible moisture around the sensors? Check the connections... Mice?

Uncle Greg
We've had wet weather for awhile. But this is an older unit with no optical sensors, just the mechanical sensor when the door encounters an obstacle.

·
Registered
8,508 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
drbailey said:
ROF Mow , thats funny , I cant explain the light blinking lite . But I had the same thing happen time after time . I could open and close the door with the horn on my wifes car . But I found out that the Tyson chicken trucks were haveing a good time in the winter openenig my o/H door , with there CB radios. I didnt solve the problem , I don`t live there anymore . I did kill the power to the door at night.
But I dont know why the lite blinks , Mine did to
Nothing like the door opening in the middle of the night to screw up your sleep!

·
Registered
8,508 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Byron R said:
Good Idea::When I take My 8yr, old son home to his moms on sun. afternoons ...(bi-weekly) ....He shoots houses on the Way..With my opener..Doors do Open ...1980s Stanley door..Thinking maybe 20 codes compared to new rolling codes...Br. :hide:
Boy that thing must have a **** of a range to work on my door! :D

·
Registered
8,508 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Byron R said:
Mow.. He does hate my shortcuts....? :trink40: Br.
I've had a few comments about my "shortcuts". :D

I'm thinking of maybe adjusting it a little bit, as it there is a lot of tension in the down position.

·
Administrator
11,789 Posts
I remember the CBs played heck with the neighbor's door opener back in the 70's. We lived on a busy street with a lot of truck traffic. Many locals also on CB some running "foot warmers". They put in a wall switch to kill the power to it.

If it still does it when you back the switch up so it is not quite so tight agasinst the floor when closed, you probably have an intermittent switch or control board going bad causing your problem. I'm not sure how they actually detect the downward pressure. Maybe almost as cheap to buy a new opener. I replaced the control module on our old "Genie Professional" several years ago and I think then it was almost half the price of a new opener.

·
Anything With Wheels
9,834 Posts
I think it's ironic that your garage door becomes possessed at this time of year and all (Halloween). Maybe you could call in an exorcist and have the demons exorcised ROF

I agree with Mark...I bet the control circuit board is the root of your problem. I think you can get chain drives for $159 at your local big box store.

·
Registered
33 Posts
I had the same problem last year on one of my door openers. Blinking light included. I ordered new sensors for both doors, replaced the original sensors & that fixed the problem.
I only had a problem with one opener but replaced them both 'cause it was only gonna be a matter of time on the other one.
Inside the sensors there's a pc board that gets corroded from moisture, & there's the problem.
HTH,
Toolman

·
Super Moderator
31,534 Posts
Not sure if it willl help, but my Mom's door operner[late 70's] kicks the door up by the spring mounted motor cocking ageanst a small limit switch. Its the door hitting something to early, and rocking that motor, that makes it reverse.If you have that style, mabe something is causing it to rock, or mabe the springs are sacked out. Just a thought. Maybe its time for a new one.

·
Registered
8,508 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Thanks, Paul. I'll take off the housing and see what's in there.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts