My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
collector of the old
380 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
No this isn't some thread about a kid building Ar's in his shed. 50 years ago a good friend of mine set out to start building muzzle loaders and high powered rifles professionally. He had already had a back ground in machining and gunsmithing along with injection mold casting. His company was Wilderness arms from Sarver PA, everything was built from raw materials and he had a crew of 12 men and women working for him running everything from a gun drill to a mill to a sidebar rifling machine along with a stock duplicator. He was even featured in Pennsylvania Game News. This past week I got the pleasure of checking out one on the 50 caliber muzzle loaders he and his company turned out before rising insurance rates pushed him out of the manufacturing business.

·
collector of the old
380 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·

Reactions: Jere39

·
collector of the old
380 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·

·
collector of the old
380 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·

·
Cranky Motorsports
15,275 Posts
pretty cool! Interesting how flat the bottom of the stock is, and the trigger guard. But muzzle loaders are always cool. I may pick one up some day just for the sake of having and shooting one once in a while.

·
collector of the old
380 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Was in the manufacturing business a total of 18 months just over 900 muzzle loading rifle and pistols made and about the same for high powered rifles based on the 98 mauser action. He told me ongoing pressure on the big company's helped put insurance rates through the roof and he said enough when his insurance jumped up to a million dollars. Something about a guy sueing colt or Dan Wesson about shooting himself in the foot with a 38 and he won his case. He was in the gunsmithing business a total of 30 years and now just tinkers around his shop and I go sit and learn

·
collector of the old
380 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
He tells me stories about meeting Elmer Keith and going out and buying tractor trailer loads of lead shot out west somewhere for $2 a bag. Ill be at his shop tomorrow and ill be sure to take more pictures of his stuff, he has pictures framed on the walls of his shop.

Reactions: LouMG and GT_80
1 - 8 of 8 Posts