My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
353 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Last summer it became apparent that the 30 year old MTD POS was not going to last much longer, I began looking for something to replace it with, at least temporarily. I was looking through CL list and found this Murray-Huskee listed. The ad stated it needed carb work and was only located a 1/2 mile from my home so I went to look at it.

It was a sad case with the P/O claiming it "Just needs the governor adjusted, it pops out of the carburetor and only revs about halfway up." It also had to be jumped across the solenoid to start because the wiring termites had clipped most of the wires because the switch had been "screwed" when he lost the key. The mower deck or at least the remains of what had been a mower deck, were present as were the tire chains. The only thing going for this was a new battery.

"I could probably fix it, but I really don't want to put that much work into something this old, so I am going to pass on it today." I told the owner as I left.

Fast forward a couple of weeks and I get a phone call from the P/O telling me he had gotten a citation from the city saying he had a week to dispose of the "abandoned mower" in his yard or face a fine. "Would you still be interested in it for free?"

I am always on the look out for salvageable parts to build stuff with so I said "Yeah, I will take it off your hands but it is going to be a couple of days until I get my trailer back together."

"No problem, I can bring it down tonight. I got to get it out of here before the city writes me up." True to his word he pulled into my driveway about an hour later and we unloaded the tractor which I pulled out behind the shop and basically forgot about until fall.

After the mowing season had subsided and I had the other equipment winterized, I pulled the old tractor into the shop to see just what I had. I started it up again and noticed that it was popping back through the carb and all the air cleaner screws were new. HMMMMMMMMM? I did a quick thumb compression test and discovered the right cylinder had no compression. Just out of curiosity I pulled the head on that side and found 2 of the original air cleaner screws protruding out of the valve. Just for giggles, I popped the other head off and found the third A/C screw wedged in the valve pocket but not yet in the seat.

The valve seat had a pretty bad dent in it but I figured it wasn't going to be any worse off if it wouldn't grind out so I pulled the seat grinder out from under the bench and set to work. I was pleasantly surprised that the seat cleaned up with little grinding and the dent was only about .008" deep which ground out without too much trouble. When I went to my favorite Briggs repair shop the order parts I found he had a motor with a bad rod that he let me salvage the intake valves out of for free and I got the "valve grind kit" for cost since he had special ordered it and was happy just to get his money out of it after the owner decided not to fix that motor.

I ground the valves and they cleaned up nicely so I went ahead and pulled the exhaust valves from the engine and ground the seats and faces. I re-installed the valves and end ground the lash clearances (I Hadn't done that in years and had to remember how to face the end facing stone on my Sioux valve facer). As I expected the right intake took a bit more to clearance than I would have liked to see but since I wasn't going to use this thing for anything serious I let it go.

After re-assembling the engine, welding up the cracked heat shields and making a couple of missing cooling baffles I started the engine. As the P/O had stated the carb did need adjusted as his "expert" had messed everything up.

After the engine was running pretty well, I looked into the electrical mess. One of my welding customers is a small equipment dealer that always has a few "junkers" out behind the building. I dropped off a piece I had welded for them one day and asked if he had a switch that would fit the tractor. He pointed me out back and handed me a pair of ***** and a pair of pliers saying "Look for yourself". I found a couple of mowers that looked to be fairly fresh to the pile and removed the switches from them along with a length of harness so I could have the right connector block. The Murray switch has the headlight switch wired in but the replacements did not so I I rewired the tractor with a separate light switch on the AC side of the generator.

Here is the results of my "I got nothing better to do today" tractor rebuild efforts. Ugly as homemade dirt but it has turned into my "trailer tugger". The wheel weights are home made out of 3/4" steel plate with smaller disc of 3/4 welded inside. I don't know what they weigh but can attest they are heavy (75 lbs. each I am guessing).

The plastic nose piece was cracked but a bit of Duro brand "Plastic Welder" fixed those. I recommend this stuff highly for plastic repairs.

The sleeve hitch came with the tractor. I just needed to make some pins for it. I need to make a "ball hitch" adapter that will let me back under the hitch and lever the tongue up enough to move the trailer for mowing.

I have found an old snow blade that my father had for something. I may try to adapt that to this tractor for times when I need to push a path to the mail box but it isn't deep enough to get out the snow blower. I use it to drag a harrow to level the gravel drive and drag brush to the burn pile.

All told it has been kind of a fun time killer and keeps me out of the house and off the streets.

Roger
Old, Tired. and Grumpy

·
The voice of reason !
2,720 Posts
Great job Rog :fing32:

But I want to know did you fall into a field of clover and get covered in luck ?

How the heck do I get some I mean the PO even delivered it to you ?

I think you'll find that even if it's not a JD or some other exclusive brand you can beat the living daylights out of it and it will keep on going.

Glad you shared this with us keep up the great work.

·
Premium Member
5,691 Posts
Looks like a great little worker. I like the looks of those weights.

"He pointed me out back and handed me a pair of *****"

I thought the story was gonna get really interesting for a minute there.........

·
Old Iron......Forever
3,139 Posts
Good Work, Kudos for hanging in there looking for the compression problem.

:thThumbsU Nice looking, too. I need to see if my local welder guy would let me get some scrap steel for wheel weights. Maybe I should visit the scrap metal recycler for that. They might not let me do that, since they have one of the Grapple machines operating in the junk yard, and a magnet loading the trailer rigs for hauling out to their big yard. They probably don't want anybody waltzing around under foot.

·
Registered
353 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Great job Rog :fing32:

But I want to know did you fall into a field of clover and get covered in luck ?

How the heck do I get some I mean the PO even delivered it to you ?

I think you'll find that even if it's not a JD or some other exclusive brand you can beat the living daylights out of it and it will keep on going.

Glad you shared this with us keep up the great work.
"Even a blind hog finds an apple every now and then"

The "city" is a smaller town that has some ridiculous ordinances and since they need to have the local cops do something to justify the air they consume they would rather run around looking for this kind of "offense" than deal with the meth labs. The "revenue enhancement" (fine) would be about $200 so he just wanted to get rid of it before they had a chance to make a second pass through his neighborhood.

Roger
Old, Tired, and Grumpy

·
Registered
353 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Good Work, Kudos for hanging in there looking for the compression problem.

:thThumbsU Nice looking, too. I need to see if my local welder guy would let me get some scrap steel for wheel weights. Maybe I should visit the scrap metal recycler for that. They might not let me do that, since they have one of the Grapple machines operating in the junk yard, and a magnet loading the trailer rigs for hauling out to their big yard. They probably don't want anybody waltzing around under foot.
The "recyclers" around here have mixed policies on retail sales. Some do and some don't. The ones that do have an area where they put the prime pickings such as "drop steel" (new material that drops off from cutting tables that is too small to be re racked). You might also check at any structural fab shops in your area as the ones around here will sell "drop steel" cheap since they are just going to get scrap price at the yard.

If you do go to a "recycler" keep your eyes open for old solid iron barbell weights as well. They are just about ready made wheel weights waiting to happen. I have also found them at garage sales for short money.

Roger
Old, Tired, and Grumpy

1 - 9 of 9 Posts