My Tractor Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just received it yesterday, traded in my X350R with only 25 hours !!

I have about 9000sq mt of land, and a huge chunk of it is lawn and orchard, the X350 turning radius was a bit of a PITA, so I decided to go for a zero turn

On my initial tests I am really nervous with the steering, but I am sure it's a matter of getting used to, not having a foot pedal to break is the bit that is taking allot to get used to, makes me nervous when I am near incline edges

But looking forward to putting this baby trough it's paces, I probably would have been ok with a 300 z series, but heck, might as well buy it once only.

Such a best !

·
Registered
750 Posts
Good choice. A zero turn only does one thing, but it does it really well and fast. That's a beautiful setting you have there. Your measurement being in meters tells me you're not in the states. Where is this amazing place?

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Good choice. A zero turn only does one thing, but it does it really well and fast. That's a beautiful setting you have there. Your measurement being in meters tells me you're not in the states. Where is this amazing place?
Thanks mate, thats my summer/future retirement home in the Azores islands (Portugal)

The weather was not great yesterday, but this is the awesome view

IMG_1542.jpeg

I have a X585 coming form the states in a few months, will be good for the other bits one needs a tractor for, thats why the Z made sense, as it will be used for mowing and nothing else.

·
Registered
49 Posts
I was nervous about steering. A little shaky at first. But, it doesn't take long to get used to it. You will like it, it's fast and easy to cut around trees.

·
Registered
2,230 Posts
Just received it yesterday, traded in my X350R with only 25 hours !!

I have about 9000sq mt of land, and a huge chunk of it is lawn and orchard, the X350 turning radius was a bit of a PITA, so I decided to go for a zero turn

On my initial tests I am really nervous with the steering, but I am sure it's a matter of getting used to, not having a foot pedal to break is the bit that is taking allot to get used to, makes me nervous when I am near incline edges

But looking forward to putting this baby trough it's paces, I probably would have been ok with a 300 z series, but heck, might as well buy it once only.

Such a best !

View attachment 2498695
Congrats on a nice machine. I thoroughly understand the missing brake feeling. It gets better, but is always there.

It looks like you have a 48” deck, or is it a 54”? Mine is a 60” 7-iron deck.

I see you have your arms resting on the arm rests, but you have your hands very near the end of the handles, which works fine at full speed, but for me resulted in a lot of swaying back and forth side to side. Doesn’t make for a very pretty looking lawn. I got advice from a long time Zero Turn user, my brother, to use my finger tips lower on the handles. Now I can mow straight lines the length of a soccer field and can do it at any speed. I run my 757 at about 8 mph on smoother ground. This allows me to cut a soccer field and perimeter in a little over an hour if I cut end to end, reducing the number of turns. Going around is the quickest. Having the control handles adjusted to fit you is a big help. Also grease and oil the moving parts to keep them moving easily. Mine were very stiff when I got it used with 750 hrs. It didn’t appear that was ever in the grease routine. I added a couple of oil drops to the handle pivots from the top. Now they work much easier.

Driving Zero turns does take some practice, but I couldn’t get the hang of it before I got my brother’s advice. I wish I had gotten it sooner when I was buying one. I would have likely spent more on a nearly new Kubota, but my 757 cuts very well. Hope you get to enjoying mowing with your Z545R.

·
Registered
191 Posts
Congrats! Nice machine!

You'll get the hang of the steering with a few uses and before long you won't even notice - it will become intuitive.

For practice, you can reduce the engine speed a bit, which will reduce the sensitivity of the lap bars and help you gain confidence. Then drive around in the flat open areas of your lawn with the blades disengaged and practice turning, making three point turns, and maneuvering around.

·
Registered
1,229 Posts
A Zero will go a lot of places a tractor won't . If you can keep at least two wheels on the ground and it will go through mud a tractor will get stuck in and is easier to get out . I'm sure on day they will have a zero tractor combo looks like there trying . Ya don't have to go as fast as it wants hold it back let it flow stop all that bulldoging of the controls . I've run off inclines where if I would have pulled back on both leavers instead of trying to steer out I may could have been able to get both tires digging in reverse and saved my self .

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
It looks like you have a 48” deck, or is it a 54”? Mine is a 60” 7-iron deck.
It is the 48" .. darn Europe, thats what they offering it with, I would have appreciated the 54" but in fairness just did my first cut, the 48 did great

·
Super Moderator
37,121 Posts
Beautiful piece of property with a great view! So when are you hosting the big MTF get together?? :) Looks like the zero turn will do a nice job on the yard, I agree with the others, it does one thing but it does it very well and fast.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Just finished my first proper cut with it 20 minutes ago, I can see that within a few cuts I'll get the proper hang of the steering, felt lots more confidence within 5 minutes !

First takes ... this is nimble !, amazing that such a heavy mower can move like that, I was able to get real close to the edges and save me allot of time with the trimmer later on, also got into nooks I was not able to get with a tractor.

The cut quality, I got the wheel scrappers to the right height, and it shows, I have no scraps in the lawn, I used to get a fair bit with the X350, not sure why, the cut quality of this machine, to me (not a professional) looks better

Speed ... well, I use the Mower App from JD, I did it in 60% of the time that the X350 used to, and thats not using the bagger on the X350

Tickled to bits ... loving it !!

Here it is after a job done ! :love:

·
Registered
2,230 Posts
Cut looks good. looks like you mowed all in the same direction. Alternating directions will give you a fairly nice striped look if you want, even without the striping kit.

Don’t make a 180* turn. The tire that doesn’t rotate will tear the grass off in a circle. Gentle 3 point turns work well. Mowing around the outside and continue cutting inward reduces turning time resulting in less mowing time. I mow a soccer field. I’ve mowed around (roughly 1.25 hrs), across (roughly 1.75 hrs), and end to end (roughly 1.5 hrs). Pattern does matter in time, but you have to decide what looks best to you.

One thing I didn’t expect with a larger deck was being able to cut under fences easier, since the wheels are farther away from the fence. Around trees is similar.

You mentioned how heavy it was, but I found my 757 with 60” 7-iron deck (about 1250#) is heavier than even my X738 with 54HC deck (about 1150#). Some is the deck, but the frame is very heavy duty as well. The 757 is similar to a Z930M or Z950R commercial zero turn mower. One of my width considerations was to minimize my mowing time, but had to match my trailer width to the widest mower I was hauling, which is my X738 54” deck with Cyclone Rake deck adapter attached. That way I don’t have to take the Cyclone Rake apart for transport. Fortunately that fits my 60” deck with discharge chute up. By the way, I thought I saw in your first picture the chute was up. For safety, always mow with it down. A mower deck can throw things out the side faster than you can blink.

You will enjoy it even more with practice. Enjoy!

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Cut looks good. looks like you mowed all in the same direction. Alternating directions will give you a fairly nice striped look if you want, even without the striping kit.
I think it's the spot that I am on, if you look on this one, you can see my attempt at a striped look, it looks better in person than on the picture even :)

IMG_3846.jpeg

Don’t make a 180* turn. The tire that doesn’t rotate will tear the grass off in a circle. Gentle 3 point turns work well. Mowing around the outside and continue cutting inward reduces turning time resulting in less mowing time. I mow a soccer field. I’ve mowed around (roughly 1.25 hrs), across (roughly 1.75 hrs), and end to end (roughly 1.5 hrs). Pattern does matter in time, but you have to decide what looks best to you.
Good feedback, will keep that in mind !

One thing I didn’t expect with a larger deck was being able to cut under fences easier, since the wheels are farther away from the fence. Around trees is similar.
Fences here are solid walls of volcanic rock ... :LOL: but I can definitely say I wish I had the larger deck for under the trees in the orchard

You mentioned how heavy it was, but I found my 757 with 60” 7-iron deck (about 1250#) is heavier than even my X738 with 54HC deck (about 1150#). Some is the deck, but the frame is very heavy duty as well. The 757 is similar to a Z930M or Z950R commercial zero turn mower. One of my width considerations was to minimize my mowing time, but had to match my trailer width to the widest mower I was hauling, which is my X738 54” deck with Cyclone Rake deck adapter attached. That way I don’t have to take the Cyclone Rake apart for transport. Fortunately that fits my 60” deck with discharge chute up.
I'm lucky that I dont need to haul this thing, they brought over in the back of a truck, it made me real nervous seeing it go down that ramp, not sure i'd had the guts to do every day

By the way, I thought I saw in your first picture the chute was up. For safety, always mow with it down. A mower deck can throw things out the side faster than you can blink.
Yeah, it has just arrived from the dealer, we were testing it to ensure it was running fine, I had not yet cut the zip tie that was holding it together, definitely will use it with the flap down,

You will enjoy it even more with practice. Enjoy!
Thanks, I just spend the last hour with my gardener, he was driving it to get a feel for it, it's not a common machine here, so he had never used one, but he seemed to do ok

Just pains me to have to go back home to London this weekend and not be able to play with it for many months now :( .. but it's that old story ... if one wants nice toys, one has to work

Carlos

·
Registered
2,230 Posts
I would think your dealer could get you a larger deck before you use the 48” too much. I hope the gardener appreciates it until you return.

Being retired, I’m the gardener and am loving it.

·
Registered
1,229 Posts
My girlfriend wouldn't use mine because it was so fast I would stand at a distance and yell trying to convey that you can hold it back . Now she loves to mow after 15 years a person is really not doing them self or there wife any favors not teaching them . She did put it in the foward backward jumps where you go back and forth with the controls . But a person could sit up a safe spot and give them a place to practice . Some times I like to go at different angles to get different views .

·
forkz
6,277 Posts
as long as it dose;nt pull one way

·
Registered
1,229 Posts
This is my first Zero , 2760 Dixie chopper , been a good one , still very proud of it . Once you learn to ride one they will surprise you the places you can mow , once you learn to swing the weight and skip over mud , I mow quite a little bit and do fairly well getting around the ditches and drop offs , you still have to be careful near slopes . Safety first.
20210419_160742.jpg

1 - 17 of 17 Posts