My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
169 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
my new lawn has grown in long enough to cut so really this is my first real cut with my new X300. I dont have the bagger for it so i was worried i would have to rake. My only problem with this thing is that when it is windy a few of the clippings that get sent out the side discharge end up in my beer!!!!!
On another note I cant tell you how much i enjoy my X300.
Since i overseeded a few weeks ago i was waiting to make the first cut. In some places the lawn was at 6 inches so the X300 was really put to the test.
My first pass on the lawn yesterday I said to myself " oh no i have to buy a bagger" because it left grass that looked like it needed raking. (keep in mind the grass was tall to begin with on this first pass. As I kept mowing and mowed the clippings towards the middle of the lawn I cant even tell you how great the cut was.
I definitly dont need a bagger as it looks like the clippings were bagged. Where the grass was 6 inches plus I found that some times the cut would leave some grass blades that were left uncut but this didnt bother me because the grass was really thick and high and i will not be letting it grow this high again. If you are looking to buy an X300 get it and you dont need a bagger. i still cant get over the turning radius on this thing either.
I need to post pics because i am so satisfied with the cut.

·
AKA Moses Lawnagan
4,642 Posts
My only problem with this thing is that when it is windy a few of the clippings that get sent out the side discharge end up in my beer!!!!!
Get one of those hard-hat gizmos that have a drink holder on each side, whith flexible straws leading down, like you see at ball games. Wear it while you mow, it should be high enough that clippings won't get in your beer. Keeps your hands free, too, so you'll be a safer GT operator.

Send us some pictures of THAT:trink40:

Don't ya just love a good machine that does what you want it to? Congrats on your green machine.

·
Super Moderator
29,532 Posts
yeah, that is a common problem. the beer holder should be on the other side of the machine!

as to the uncut grass, Deere has had this issue for years on teh 3 blade decks in high/wet grass. my L130 does it and my X500 does it. in really tall thick grass you see stripes 2-3 inches wide! if my yard has gotten away from me, i just make 2 passes or cut with 1/2 deck to clear the strips.

·
AKA Moses Lawnagan
4,642 Posts
Mine will also do that in high grass, but generally only if I am mowing it at a high setting (4"+). Nothing I can do except go over it again.

·
Registered
641 Posts
Noticed it a little w/ the dedicated mulching deck. Not a whole lot though, and the grass was over 6" and WET.

·
Registered
203 Posts
Get one of those hard-hat gizmos that have a drink holder on each side, whith flexible straws leading down, like you see at ball games. Wear it while you mow, it should be high enough that clippings won't get in your beer. Keeps your hands free, too, so you'll be a safer GT operator.

Send us some pictures of THAT:trink40:

Don't ya just love a good machine that does what you want it to? Congrats on your green machine.
I'm hearing this a lot and I'm thinking about putting in a DTAC case on it.
But I'm afraid they will just tell us to sell the customers the AM131898 cup holder that you can mount where you want.

Generally i don't have that problem, my problem is that I don't usually allow myself enough time to sit one in the cupholder.

·
Registered
169 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
As quiet as this kawasaki engine is I still suggest wearing the ear protection. I wore mine for the mowing and could barely hear anything. When I took them off with the engine running I can see how overtime it may damage hearing. I still love how quiet the Kawa is!!!!!

·
Registered
921 Posts
Yesterday I cut, pulled a plug aerator, overseeded and then pulled a roller over small part of my lawn that I'm totally re-doing on my X300. What a blast it was. Only problem is that I'm going for the big "snip" (vasectomy) this Friday and might be out of commission next weekend:crybaby:

·
Registered
169 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
i cut mine 4 weeks ago, aerated, overseeded and 4 weeks later VIOLA!!! beutiful grass that I just got on Friday this week!!
the big snip!! no way will i go for that!
be careful, I guy i work with went for a snip the same time he was getting a hernia fixed and then a few months down the road found out they were pregnant again!!

·
Registered
921 Posts
LOL you can't get snipped and then start going at it right after. You have to wait for a while then do a test to see if it worked.

·
Registered
641 Posts
As quiet as this kawasaki engine is I still suggest wearing the ear protection. I wore mine for the mowing and could barely hear anything. When I took them off with the engine running I can see how overtime it may damage hearing. I still love how quiet the Kawa is!!!!!
I always mow w/ the foam ear plug inserts. You only get one set of ears, and I'd like to have them as long as the Lord allows, thank you very much. :) Agreed, that Kawa is much nicer to be around than the 1 cylinder Intec I was sitting in front of.

·
Registered
417 Posts
My only problem with this thing is that when it is windy a few of the clippings that get sent out the side discharge end up in my beer!!!!!
It's designed this way, you shouldn't operate heavy machinery "under the Influnace", Deere specially makes the discharge to get clipping into your beer so you will not drink and drive. Try a soda instead, bet this solves your problem.

Yesterday I cut, pulled a plug aerator, overseeded and then pulled a roller over small part of my lawn that I'm totally re-doing on my X300. What a blast it was....
You know when your a mower junkie when you start to thinking about cutting the grass on the side of the road as you drive by, and you don't even live near there!

·
Registered
921 Posts
You know when your a mower junkie when you start to thinking about cutting the grass on the side of the road as you drive by, and you don't even live near there!
My mother inlaw lives down the road and I noticed a few dandylions (sp?) and tall grass so naturally I had to swing down there and put the deck down!

·
The Gate Keeper
1,181 Posts
i cut mine 4 weeks ago, aerated, overseeded and 4 weeks later VIOLA!!! beutiful grass that I just got on Friday this week!!
the big snip!! no way will i go for that!
be careful, I guy i work with went for a snip the same time he was getting a hernia fixed and then a few months down the road found out they were pregnant again!!
Are they going to make you wear one of those cones from the Vet's office so that you don't try to lick or bite the incisions?

·
AKA Moses Lawnagan
4,642 Posts
Deere specially makes the discharge to get clipping into your beer so you will not drink and drive. Try a soda instead, bet this solves your problem.
I had a soft drink in my holder one day and almost got a mouthful of yellow jacket when I went to take a sip.

I think I'd rather have the grass clippings.

·
Registered
921 Posts
Are they going to make you wear one of those cones from the Vet's office so that you don't try to lick or bite the incisions?
I don't think so but my wife may hide my X300 keys so I can't sneak out to cut the grass. Getting on and off the tractor with a fresh incission down there probably isn't the best thing to be doing.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts