My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Premium Member
87 Posts
That's a bad moment when oil spills onto your driveway. I measured the end of the oil drain valve on the drain valve of my Briggs & Stratton equipped mower. It is just over a half inch O.D. I think a short length of 1/2" rubber hose over the end of the drain valve is the way to solve this problem.

·
Registered
281 Posts
i just changed the oil in mine and it just could not be easier.

im used to the 1 1/2 change on my KTM, man what a PITA!
drain the crankcase, drain the sump, 1 filter that needs to be changed, and 2 that need to be inspected, cleaned and reassembled!

·
X530, 48 Deck/44 Blower
899 Posts
I cheated and did my oil change when the deck was still off over the winter.

·
Retired Super Moderator - Deceased September 2015
26,679 Posts
I cheated and did my oil change when the deck was still off over the winter.
I did mine the other day when the deck was off for garden/yard work. Still used a rubber hose to drain it into a oil pan(Coffee Container lol).:fing20:

·
Registered
132 Posts
I have an X500 too, I stuff a rag up underneath the filter, Shove a funnel up underneath the filter drain chute, and hold it into a milk jug as I unscrew the filter. Let that drain, then wipe it all down. The milk jug will balance on the deck and then I let the oil drain into the funnel into the milk jug. Works pretty good. Also when you go to do your trans maint, the holes in the rear fender that are designed to hold your umbrella and or weather enclosure will also hold a funnel with a fill tube. I obtained a cheapo from O'Reilly and fed the hose down through the fender into the top of the trans fill tube.

I've had many of those oil spills over the years, thats always a pain in the but to clean up.

Good Luck

·
FNG tryn' to make 'd club
326 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks everyone for the great solutions, I'm normally no so clumsy. I ran to work to get an adjustable filter wrench, then pulled back in and saw the mess. So I went back to work for floor dry. Next time I won't leave it, and also use a tube or funnel.

·
Enginerd - DieselDork
784 Posts
I always keep a couple of broken-down cardboard boxes up against the wall of my garage, for just such an occasion. I can never do an oil change without a couple of drips. Plus,when changing the oil in the vehicles, laying on cardboard is just a little bit better than lying on a cold concrete floor!

And then finally a 5-gallon bucket of kitty litter/oil dry to clean up the big spills when they happen. And they do!

·
Premium Member
6,750 Posts
I found this Chilton P2 2 gallon drain pan that is only 4" tall fits under a raised mower deck, when you just need pan to slide a bit under. The pan on left is the Chilton P45 5 gallon pan is 6" tall

Attachments

·
Registered
182 Posts
Never heard of Form-A-Funnel before. Looks to be very useful! Thanks for letting us know about this.

·
MTF Tractor Nut
4,430 Posts
Oops, sorry to hear of the mess. I've had pretty good results using Simple Green to remove any spots. Spray on, let sit and then wipe it up. Repeat using a wet towel to wipe.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts