My Tractor Forum banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Administrator
13,438 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I bought this snow blower last week at a local dealer and picked it up yesterday morning. Paid the MSRP price, but expected to, and am pretty happy with the purchase. I ran it around the driveway for a few minutes after taking it off the trailer and the steering assist is really a nice feature. The controls are laid out nicely and It has 6 forward speeds and 2 reverse. The shoot rotation is very quick and the arch is easy to control from tue dashboard. This is quite a step up from my old Ariens 24” machine that I’ve had for 15 years +/~. About the only issue I have is that it doesn’t idle, just stalls out when I bring the the throttle back. That I’m sure is a minor adjustment that I’ll probably take care of myself. It starts wit the rope easily but that is always the backup plan as I always use the electric starter when it’s cold out. Time to get rid of all my old Ariens machines and clear out some space for the new machine in the garage. 👍

Tire Automotive tire Wheel Plant Window
Wheel Tire Tread Motor vehicle Vehicle
Asphalt Road surface Wood Motor vehicle Window

·
Premium Member
22,112 Posts
Nice! But, you could have posted photos of anything but snow removal equipment. That season is coming way too fast for my liking! I'll bet that will get the job done in no time. Enjoy.

·
Administrator - We’re all friends here
16,636 Posts
Good-looking machine, Mike. Will you attach the cab or buy a new one?

Reactions: PA318Guy

·
Administrator
13,438 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Good-looking machine, Mike. Will you attach the cab or buy a new one?
Going to take some measurements and see if the old one will fit, Al, if so I’ll use it. 👍

Nice!! They really make the best snowblowers. Cant go wrong with them. What motor does it have?
I’m a believer in the Ariens snow blowers, Paul, no complaints with the old ones, very reliable over the years. The engine is a 15.5 LbFt torque rating. I believe it’s an in house Ariens built engine, OHV and smooth running.

·
Registered
179 Posts
That's a nice looking snow blower you have.. I think Ariens makes a great machine. I have a twenty year old Simplicity Professional Series with a 12 h/p Briggs. It's a animal. Still on great shape.. Best of luck with you new machine.

·
Premium Member
I use scissors! Twice a week.
10,095 Posts
Ariens doesn't make engines, they just buy one from someone else.

The chute rotation mechanism works nice, but don't try to force it/do it too quickly. There's a lever that engages some teeth at the chute head, to hold it in the postion you want, and if you do it too fast/hard, you will bend/damage that lever and/or teeth. I try to pull up on the handle to disengage the lever, then rotate the chute.

·
Registered
1,023 Posts
Wow!

I want one!

You are smart to test run everything.
What does that have for a motor Mike ? ... :unsure:

·
Administrator
13,438 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Wow!

I want one!

You are smart to test run everything.
What does that have for a motor Mike ? ... :unsure:
The engine is an in-house carbureted Ariens AX 306cc engine rated at 15.5 LbFt torque w/ OHV and runs very smoothy.

·
Registered
1,023 Posts
Yep, I thought so.
Our little Compact 24 has the AX 223 and this will be it's 6th winter coming up.
Up until now it has served us well for secondary duty around the house.
However, it's a little light and under-powered to be a main snow fighter though.
Wile will still do most of the light stuff with rear blade but, we no longer have a tractor mounted blower.
So, I'm in the market to sell the Compact 24 and move up to the deluxe 28 size 'ish for heavy storms.
Both my S.I.L. and another friend have the Deluxe and love them.

Renster

Reactions: BOSOX

·
Administrator
13,438 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Yep, I thought so.
Our little Compact 24 has the AX 223 and this will be it's 6th winter coming up.
Up until now it has served us well for secondary duty around the house.
However, it's a little light and under-powered to be a main snow fighter though.
Wile will still do most of the light stuff with rear blade but, we no longer have a tractor mounted blower.
So, I'm in the market to sell the Compact 24 and move up to the deluxe 28 size 'ish for heavy storms.
Both my S.I.L. and another friend have the Deluxe and love them.

Renster
Glad they are having good luck with their Ariens Deluxe blowers! I'm sure the one I bought will be a big improvement over my old one in performance and operator comfort. (y)

·
Registered
9 Posts
I bought this snow blower last week at a local dealer and picked it up yesterday morning. Paid the MSRP price, but expected to, and am pretty happy with the purchase. I ran it around the driveway for a few minutes after taking it off the trailer and the steering assist is really a nice feature. The controls are laid out nicely and It has 6 forward speeds and 2 reverse. The shoot rotation is very quick and the arch is easy to control from tue dashboard. This is quite a step up from my old Ariens 24” machine that I’ve had for 15 years +/~. About the only issue I have is that it doesn’t idle, just stalls out when I bring the the throttle back. That I’m sure is a minor adjustment that I’ll probably take care of myself. It starts wit the rope easily but that is always the backup plan as I always use the electric starter when it’s cold out. Time to get rid of all my old Ariens machines and clear out some space for the new machine in the garage. 👍

View attachment 2565909 View attachment 2565908 View attachment 2565907
Nice machine, your old one is a classic! Idle screw is probably slightly out of adjustment.

·
Registered
138 Posts
That engine is a LCT. LCT is what took over when Tecumseh disappeared. Although they are Chinese built. I worked at a dealer that sold many different brands, but when it came to snow blowers Ariens out sold the rest, probably about 9 to 1. I think you made a great choice. As for the idle it may be a bad carb (warranty and be sure the dealer is aware of the issue) or the idle speed is set too slow.

·
Administrator
13,438 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
That engine is a LCT. LCT is what took over when Tecumseh disappeared. Although they are Chinese built. I worked at a dealer that sold many different brands, but when it came to snow blowers Ariens out sold the rest, probably about 9 to 1. I think you made a great choice. As for the idle it may be a bad carb (warranty and be sure the dealer is aware of the issue) or the idle speed is set too slow.
I'm going to start it this weekend some time and run it for a bit, if it doesn't idle down without stalling I'll call the dealer. Changed my mind about messing with it, it's brand new, let them handle it. (y)

1 - 20 of 27 Posts