My Tractor Forum banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,436 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I took the plunge and bought my first 2 Lawnboys today, thanks to lawnboykc. They are a 8238ae and a 10590. Both in nice shape. Both will be winter projects. So what should I know before jumping in?

Attachments

·
Registered
472 Posts
You should know that this is just the begging to a long hard battle with lbad :sidelaugh I usually take lots of close pics of everything so I have a good idea of everything's position. Another idea I started doing was printing of the manuals on toro's site to make my one so called Lawnboy bible. Comes in handy to have it on hand.

·
Registered
2,420 Posts
10590 you'll feel right at home on.. Finicky carb and build is almost like a Suzuki with an internal governor and piston ported design. Sounds really cool and leaves a Suzuki toro type cut

·
Premium Member
1,436 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
10590 you'll feel right at home on.. Finicky carb and build is almost like a Suzuki with an internal governor and piston ported design. Sounds really cool and leaves a Suzuki toro type cut
It appears to be a Mikuni :thumbup: I may be the only guy happy about that. Tough torque tranny and Toro gears. Solid build. I'm looking forward to the 8238ae. I feel like taking it apart just to see how it works.

Sent from the MTF Free App

·
Premium Member
1,436 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
The M is running and is sort of cleaned up. There is some staining under the carb that is pretty stubborn. It is much better, but still visible (see pics). The paint is intact and in good shape except for the stain, so I don't really want to paint it. Any suggestions?

I have to get the 8238ae's battery chargerd. Most of the pictures, including the parts breakdown show a pull chord, but this one doesn't. Kind of a bummer when the battery is dead. I also noticed that partstree.com doesn't show my S/N. Mine starts with an 8, but the earliest listed starts with a 9. I am also thinking about getting a bag set up and discharge plate.

Attachments

·
Super Moderator and over 6K Posts!
6,562 Posts
The 8238AE, according to the parts drawing should have a Vader style shroud. The mower you have is more than likely an 8238AE deck with a different engine mounted to it which is why there is no manual starter. Check the parts drawing for model 8073AE for reference as the shroud looks similar and the 8073AE has no pull start. Bill

·
Premium Member
1,436 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
The 8238AE, according to the parts drawing should have a Vader style shroud. The mower you have is more than likely an 8238AE deck with a different engine mounted to it which is why there is no manual starter. Check the parts drawing for model 8073AE for reference as the shroud looks similar and the 8073AE has no pull start. Bill
So, should I try to bring it back to stock, or does it matter? From what I understand, the pull start is high dollar. I would like to keep it stock, but if it's alread modified will the value be effected? I'm still confused about the S/N also.

·
6,562 Posts
Hi! I believe Baldguy was the one who said not to put too much faith in the serial numbers. They are usually close but can be off by a year. I have a couple of 1976 models that the serial starts with 7 so who knows. If you bought these mowers to use then I would just use them as they are. No sense in spending extra money to convert the engine or change the deck. Unfortunately, if you bought the 8238AE as a collectible then that's not going to happen. I suppose you could keep your eye open for a complete engine for the 8238AE and then swap them out and sell the other engine. Otherwise just use them end enjoy them. I have a couple of Bricktops that are certainly not 100% original but I like them anyway. Bill

·
Premium Member
1,436 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thanks again for the assistance. So, the 8073ae is a compliance modle with a steel deck. Are there any differences in engines between the the F series on the steel versus aluminum? I noticed a piece that is cut, im assuming that it was for a flywheel brake (see pic).

Attachments

·
6,562 Posts
Hi! Let me clarify that the 8073AE model I referenced was just a guess as I thought it looked like your picture. Through some research and comparison you may be able to confirm or narrow down the actual model of the engine. I do see in the picture where it looks like a piece was cut off of the block, perhaps for the flywheel brake. This might seem like a stupid question but without the flywheel brake and the switch, how do you turn the mower off? Bill

·
Premium Member
1,436 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Well, it has a toggle switch at the handle with AC wire between it and the coil. Doesn't matter because it has no spark.

·
Registered
1,765 Posts
It looks like they cut off the brake to me, it's not the easiest thing to disassemble. On my 1989 F, the guy cut the kill wires and left one of them exposed. I guess he just touched it to the deck to ground it? :dunno:

·
Registered
2,352 Posts
One thing to check is to try to start it when the switch is off and on. Some of those old ae's used a different coil I think. Anyway I had a two of those that the switch was backwards.

Anyway try it before you year the coil off

·
Premium Member
1,436 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
It's the gray coil, so it is open to run. No go. It has an automotive relay for a starter relay? Do they normally have a relay for the starter? Im pretty sure the wire nut and coiled wire is not OE.:dunno:

Attachments

·
Registered
1,765 Posts
I'm an idiot with electrical stuff but I don't think I have any relays on mine. If you don't care if it's original, I'd just run the kill wire up the handle to a switch.

·
Premium Member
1,436 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Threw some temporary toro rear wheels on the M and ran it around the yard today. I'm impressed! It didn't do too well at first. It smoked horribly for the first 10 minutes. Didn't have much power, then it started surging about 30 minutes in. I pulled the carb (which took all of 2 minutes) cleaned the main jet again and it was a new machine. I guess I didn't get it quite right the first time. What a cut! Solid machine with impressive leaf sucking. It's a keeper.

·
Registered
2,352 Posts
Yes those M's are awesome. they sound great and cut even better. I just used that commercial M I got to cut my yard and I forget how great they cut.

Did you figure anything out more with that F?

·
Premium Member
1,436 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Just got a coil for it but haven't had time to put it on. Im getting a lawn boy fo $20 tonight along with another 2 stroke toro, but im not sure what it is. Im hoping I can make 1 good one if it is the right one.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.