My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1,515 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
All ways wanted one and now my tractor came in. Bought this on C/L for 300, the previous owner only had it up for 2hr's and got 85 calls. I going to do a restore and see some parts missing. Would the parts manual be at JD or MTF's reference library ? It hasn't run in a few years so I did the float bowl and put premium gas in. Check the spark plug and started it on alcohol , I felt ether is a little hard on old engines that haven't been run in a while, then let it pick up the new gas and ran like a champ. :bannana:

the PO said he had put new belts on it and they looked good. Drove around the parking lot for a few minutes and just got better. The gt came with a briny hitch and front plow and some other gizmo's I'll take a pic of later.

I see the power lift handle is missing to the electric lifts . I'll have to investigate how this system works.

Attachments

·
Retired Aug.31 2007
7,473 Posts
Now you have something to keep you busy.

·
Registered
1,515 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I was plesently suprised today when I called the JD dealer today for the front variator belt. From what I gathered from the fourm the JD parts were a little more than most. I called Granger for the belt price and a few other people and finaly called the dealer. He was cheeper that all the others , $21.00 so I got 2, will be in about friday.

Been going over this machine and had to thighten up the sheet metal on the engine so I could hear what was going on. It was so lose sounded like the Tinman fron the wizard of Oz going through a hurricane.

I thought I had fried the starter , the battery got low and it was late and i was tired. started it one last time to check the voltage regulator and it bumped over and click click, then locked up. Needless to say that didn't make my day. Next night after work , went to remove the starter and got one bolt out , then looked real close at the bendix clutch and saw it was stuck on the flywheel. I managed to back the crank up and release the starter. Charged the battery and everything was working great. What a relief , thought I was in for a new starter and it's a PITA to get to these things.

·
Registered
4,002 Posts
Nice find!:thThumbsU

BTW, use only John Deere belts on them, there IS a difference! ~~ grnspot110

·
Citizen of Earth
15,291 Posts
I was plesently suprised today when I called the JD dealer today for the front variator belt. From what I gathered from the fourm the JD parts were a little more than most. I called Granger for the belt price and a few other people and finaly called the dealer. He was cheeper that all the others , $21.00 so I got 2, will be in about friday.

Been going over this machine and had to thighten up the sheet metal on the engine so I could hear what was going on. It was so lose sounded like the Tinman fron the wizard of Oz going through a hurricane.

I thought I had fried the starter , the battery got low and it was late and i was tired. started it one last time to check the voltage regulator and it bumped over and click click, then locked up. Needless to say that didn't make my day. Next night after work , went to remove the starter and got one bolt out , then looked real close at the bendix clutch and saw it was stuck on the flywheel. I managed to back the crank up and release the starter. Charged the battery and everything was working great. What a relief , thought I was in for a new starter and it's a PITA to get to these things.
It's not impossible to fry one of these starters, but you REALLY have to work at it. These old Kohlers and their starters are pretty much built like a tank. Nice tractor! I gotta say, it's the first time I ever saw one with the front blade mount left on the tractor with no blade. I would think that it would be easier to remove the whole assembly with the quick release pins.

·
Registered
1,515 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
hahaha Thats the way I got it and haven't gotten around to get the pins unstuck. I did put the blade on and trimed the weeds , great weed eater !

·
Registered
1,515 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Bontai Joe - In the first pic you see where the deck lift handle is supose to go. Was this feature removed when the electric lifts were added ? Can't seam to find out any info on them. Will be shopping E-bay this week for parts.

·
USMC
19,146 Posts
Nice find!:thThumbsU

BTW, use only John Deere belts on them, there IS a difference! ~~ grnspot110
:ditto: :ditto: and keep us posted as your work progresses. slkpk

1 - 10 of 10 Posts