My Tractor Forum banner

My first John Deere

2K views 12 replies 7 participants last post by  Thomud 
#1 ·
So, I have a couple fords, and a deutz allis. The deutz was first, and I got it for free. I use it to mow with for now. Then I got a 1977 closed side ford lgt 120 gear drive last summer, then a 1976 open side lgt 145 about a month or so ago to redo, needs a lot. But I have been sick the last 2 days and spent waaay too much time on craigslist. Found a JD 140 h3, no engine or grill, hood is in bad shape, but everything else looks to be good. Had a good friend pick it up for me. Got it for $75!!

Attachments

See less See more
#3 ·
I'm thinking small block, maybe a 327, haha.

Have fun with it.

#4 ·
I have a 327 that has been bored .030 over, ready to be honed, and I have a rebuilt AMC 258 straight 6 that was in my CJ-7, but I am just going to find a 14hp kohler for now, haha! I really just want to get it running and find a deck for it for now. Plan on using it as my main mower. Then find a front hydro blade for it before this next winter.

#7 ·
Nice find! I'm looking for a 140 that's in the same kind of shape for a fun project, and I have two small diesels sitting in the garage begging to get dropped into something :greendr:

#8 ·
I would love to have a desiel for it, but any 12-14hp kohler will make me happy. Bad part is, if you look at those pictures you will see my 1976 Ford LGT 145 that I have already started on, and feel I need to finish first. But if I dont need much for this JD then I will try to get it going quickly. I really want to find a deck for it. Time to get back to craigslist I guess!

#10 ·
Parts are easier to get for the JD and the support from other owners is much better than ford/jacobsen. Not putting ford/jacobsen down at all my pride and joy is my 68 Ford 100 but when looking for missing parts there are a lot more JD guys out there than us ford/jacobsen guys. :dunno:

#9 ·
I don't think you over paid, Enjoy!

#11 ·
No, I know what you mean *******. Being in missouri I rarely ever see any fords for sale, and when I do they are usually the later models, not the jacobsen built one. As for john deere, they are all over. I found another complete 140 h1 for 400. But being as I am just wanting to take parts from it to fix my h3, I think I will pass. Part of me says to offer 250 for it. Being as the hood and deck are good, and the engine runs but smokes a little.

#12 ·
Ya sound just like me :trink39: jacobsen/ ford are very hard to find in Saskatchewan so I have brought home every one I have found even a rear engine rider :thSick: at least the Ford LGT has a larger following on MTF than the 1960's Ford GT's. oh BTW I'm still jealous of the 140 h3 ha :fing32:

#13 ·
Ok, so just wanted to let you guys know that I traded my 140h3 for some work on a massey 214 that I got a smoking deal on, and for some work on my Ford LGT145. But I have regretted it ever since. The guy that has it now is a very good friend, and has 5-6 john deere garden tractors, so I know he will have it going in no time.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.