My Tractor Forum banner

21 - 24 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
100 Posts
When I first joined I was amazed at the knowledge on this forum. You do have to put up with some folks who think their brand is the only brand that is worth buying but I try to ignore that stuff. Get a good search engine and spend some time googling your lawn tractor and any implements you are interested in. You will be amazed at the articles and videos that are already out there. Also, search this forum because there are years and years of great info available. Don't be afraid to ask a question because you think it is silly. The guys on here are some of the greatest around and are eager to help and teach.

·
Make Better Mowers
2,023 Posts
For the switch over do I just drain all the oil and switch to the Full synthetic?
Also what is this "zirk fittings"?
Zirk fittings are grease fittings or "Port of entry for the grease". Pay particular attention to the lube points on your deck. The bearings at the spindles (Jackshafts) get particularly hard use under the tension of the belt(s). I sharpen my blades often (about twice/month) and lube my deck at that time. I've lived here on our 12 acres for 26 years and have never had to replace a spindle bearing on the mowers that had zirk fittings. Also, be sure to not go to full synthetic oil 'til the engine is fully broken in. About 100 hours should do it. Even if it's well broken in, you might see some oil consumption with full synthetic oil. It's so slick, some may find its way out. Synthetic oil is compatible with conventional oil. If you find too much consumption, you might consider a blend.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #23
Another Question

I was moving last wednesday trying to due a last mow before the snow we got (didn't finish :( ) and I had to mow in the dark at 6pm (daylight saving time) and while the lights are nice and I was able to mow in the dark. I was thinking about upgrading them to LEDs

1. If I upgrade to LEDs do I need to do anything special to covert over to LEDs?
2. Who sells LED bulbs for the S240?
3. I read the LEDs don't really improve that much due to the way the headlights are, the just shine out more instead of farther away. is this true?
Can anyone help me out with this ^

Is there any LED kits for the S240?

·
Registered
52 Posts
My experience - just switching to LEDs bulbs using the same oem fixtures and sockets will not improve things much.

I've added several of these -- eBay item number: 153197939158 -- to my tractors (316, 650, 770 & Ford 555B) for supporting work after dark. Mostly on homemade brackets or magnetic mounts. I put four bigger led lights on the Backhoe ROP that really light up the world. To get the most out of LED's you need fixtures designed for the LED chips used and proper heat dissipation for the higher powered devices. Most bulb replacements are disappointing.

Your tractor has some extra current capacity - but not a great deal - check the manual before you add to much extra load.

As for oil, on new or overhauled engines I always change the oil & filter within the first five operating hours - when the oil is hot! I cut the filter open to look for any metal particles at every change. Changing oil and air filters is the best thing you can do for you tractor. Follow the manual, As others have said, keep the deck clean and greased. You will need a simple manual grease gun made for use with "Zirk" fittings (designed to work together - pushed on and locks when grease pressure rises - then forces grease into the joint available at any auto parts store - accepts grease in a cartridge and helps keep the grease clean)

Last tip - coat the underside of the deck with LPS-3 (Amazon) during mowing season - makes removing grass from the underside much easier - you can use it on wheels and any other metal parts to prevent surface rust and to make clean up easier. LPS-3 leaves a tougher, wax like coating - unlike WD40 or other lubricants. Mcquire's Quick Detailer will protect the paint and plastics from fuel and grease - will keep it shining like a new one - JD green will fade if not protected from UV. Make or buy a protective cover for that yellow seat it too subject UV damage - and it will crack if used when extremely cold!!!

Deere has built some great little machines and if cared for properly, used and not abused, you will get good service. I bought my 316 new in 1985 - and she's still going strong - original engine, deck and tiller!!

Have fun!

21 - 24 of 24 Posts