My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Decided to build a stand for my pine straw rake instead of letting it sit outside. Had a bunch of wood I took apart from an old bench as well as some casters.

Here's what I came up with:

It's only about 50lbs, but this should make it easier to position and hook up. I cut holes in the stand 2x4s first, then cut them half way so there was a little lip for the frame to sit on. I angled it down a little to put more pressure on the frame than on the rake teeth.

I have a 4' box blade coming in soon and I had a solid wood door that was the top of the old bench I took apart that I plan on using for the stand for that. I figure that should be strong enough without any support. I guess we'll see. I just hope my circle saw can cut through it! Just need to find casters that will hold that 300lbs beast. :)

·
9K+ Poster
12,164 Posts
Very nice. :thThumbsU How does the rake do with the pine straw?

·
Great Site Good People
6,659 Posts
Very clever idea! On rollers to move out of way. Nice stand.:fing32:

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I actually bought the rake to dethatch. I tried it out yesterday and it really worked well... now I need to find a lawn sweeper though! I tried just mowing up all the stuff it pulled up and it did ok, but not the best. I found an old JD 38T that should look just maaavalous behind my kubota for $80. lol I'm waiting to hear when I can go look at it.

I do have a couple large patches of pines that I am going to try the rake on.. I'm sure it will do great! Also looks like it will work good for raking up branches and may even leaves. We have a fence line that is all forest behind it and windy days we get a lot of branches in the yard, especially on the fence line.

·
Registered
790 Posts
Love the concept. I have been thinking about doing something similar for a 6' finish mower and a 4' bush hog. Obviously the mower decks would require something far more substantial to support them though.

JN

·
Registered
668 Posts
OK Pine Straw LOL.
I lived in the pine Barron's of NJ before moving south many years ago and nearly drove into a sign the first time I saw a sign that said pine straw for sale. As a kid we hated raking pine needles because they were everywhere.
What does one do with pine straw? Even seen a sigh that said artificial pine needles for sale made from plastic or rubber. LOL

·
Registered
843 Posts
OK Pine Straw LOL.
I lived in the pine Barron's of NJ before moving south many years ago and nearly drove into a sign the first time I saw a sign that said pine straw for sale. As a kid we hated raking pine needles because they were everywhere.
What does one do with pine straw? Even seen a sigh that said artificial pine needles for sale made from plastic or rubber. LOL
Put it in a matress and sell it as the new en vogue, bio, keeping out harmful frequencies thing. You will make millions!

:trink39:

edit: I forgot I get 75%, it was my idea. :thThumbsU

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
What I've seen people use it for is mulch in flowerbeds. Most people like to use wood chips but I guess this stuff works ok.

I'd just rake it up and burn it.. lol.. it probably won't work too well on the compost pile. Then again, I may leave it where it is since it's not really mucking up the grass. In fact, in a couple spots where there are only a couple the grass is very nice underneath. Probably more from the shade than the needles, though. :)

I found this searching for a dethatcher for a 3ph. And I must say, it works pretty well!

·
Registered
71 Posts
Nice looking stand, always helps when you can move your equipment around easily.

I did something similiar for my box blade and front blade but used furniture dollies from Harbor Freight. They are rated at 1000 lbs and roll easily. They were on sale that day for 14.99, so had to try it. I couldn't buy the casters for that price.

·
3K & Yet So Little to Say
3,341 Posts
Nice job.:thThumbsU
My parents live in South Carolina and buy pine straw in bales to use as mulch around their landscaping. Up here in NY we use pine bark mulch.

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Well, tried it out yesterday. I must have known exactly where to put that cross brace between the uprights. Once hooked up and lifted to the top, the teeth cleared it by an inch... lol.

It actually worked really slick. Now I just can't wait for my box blade... I have more work to do with that!

·
Registered
465 Posts
Very slick. I need something like that for my rear blade that weighs 2 or 3 hundred pounds.

·
Registered
592 Posts
I built my shop i knew that space was a premium so i built a double sided uprite rack to hang rakes, shovels etd. on, then put it and 2 work tables all on casters. Works great roll the rack in between my saw bench and cabinet then roll it out get what you need and then roll it back. Work tables on casters- ever changing floor plan. Need space roll the together. I keep my 3pth. 7' blade and my 5' box blade on a plaaet with my forks stored under them. I drop the bucket, drive up grab the forks or pick up and set them out side if i need the whole shop floor.

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Ya, I have a bench near the front that covers the hole back wall, then comes out about 5' on either end. Of course a fridge. And you'll see another workbench (we call them "rolly tables" lol) on casters behind the rake in the picture. It's great when you're working on something. Just roll it over and put parts on it. I even added a cupholder on one of the legs.

Also works great for late nite card games!

I wish I could design a rack so I could stack my implements. They're too heavy for that though. I'm still working on the perfect layout since this winter my Z4 (which is now parked in the shop) will be stored along one wall covered up and my ATVs and Tractor will be parked in the shop as well (now it's just ATVs, tractor is in a plastic storage shed and FEL is in the garage in front of my truck).

·
Shop = My Therapy
3,158 Posts
I like it. Simple and effective. I am in the process of something simplier for my snowblower and ballast box.

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Ya, I'm making one for my box blade when it finally comes in, but it will be much simpler. Basically an old solid door cut to size, and casters on the bottom. :)

·
Registered
609 Posts
Never though of putting the inside for storage, but the stand would help. Mine for now just get parked along the fence and the pine row. I use pine straw around flower beds, trees and bushes in the yard so I don't have to mow real close, in the garden for weeds and the kids cheat and use it to start their fires on the weekend to roast stuff on.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts