My Tractor Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was finally able to pick up the the little tractor after waiting about three weeks .
I was all ready to load it up and hit the road .
I went to start the tractor and the pull cord broke.
Ha just my luck I guess or maybe I had it in gear not sure what happened.
The gentleman who sold me the tractor was kind enough to take the part to Ace and have it repaired.
So I waited and waited I thought that it would never be repaired. But it was repaired and so I went to pick everything up.
After a little bit more instruction on where to hold the forward and reverse knob . I start the tractor it was running good and I loaded it up with no issue.
After playing Tetris to get every Implement loaded in my trailer I arrived back at my house and started unloading everything. It was going well with the unload found a few pallets to stack all my Implements on . When it came to removing the tractor from the trailer there was a brief comedic moment.
Maybe this has happened to someone else but it was a first for me.
I started the tractor put it in reverse and started creeping towards the ramp which was a little bit steep and did not really have a lot of grip for your feet. Started easing down the ramp and made the mistake of thinking I'm moving a little too fast I need to slow down. I push the control knob back towards the neutral position and the tractor did exactly what it was supposed to. it went into neutral. It Pushed me down the ramp sliding backwards in excitement my feet hit the red clay which was pretty muddy at the time I slid back a good 5 to 6 ft before I stopped .
Somehow in the process of falling over in the mud I must have shifted the tractor back into forward and it stopped rolling backwards which is good because I think it would have rolled right over me or at least pushed me along until something got in the way. Man this thing could use some brakes 馃槒 .I laughed a little bit and checked to see how muddy I was and it wasn't bad I didn't even get mud on my knees. I Looked up at the nearby kitchen window to see if my wife had a good show and she was on the porch she saw the last bit of my mr. Bean routine.

I am excited about my tractor and the implements. The tractor has the numbers 5660 on the side .it is red in color with rust and flaking paint a bit of chrome still hanging on the handlebars but not much.
Any help identifying the year would be greatly appreciated .There is an after-market Honda clone motor bolted to the Tractor and it seems to run good. But it does not have an off switch. And it really needs an electric start . The PTO works on the front but does seem to be missing some sort of collar not sure of the name of this part . it would go in between the tractor and the implement the gentleman said that this part was missing.
Hope to be able to find one of these PTO block cover parts. Please chime in if anyone has a source or knows where I can find this part. As for the condition of the tractor it is well used and shows signs of needing maintenance. All controls seem to work but none of them feel quite right they all feel a little loose or a little tight. They are in need of some tinkering.
As for the implements a bush hog, 2 tine tillers from the look of it I may be able to make one of them work. I have a rototiller set up and looks like the extra long pole for an Auger. He sweetened the deal and threw in a scraper blade that was used on a John Deere tractor . It is the Implement that I actually need to use now .
and I will have to create an adapter. Well everybody's got to have a beginning and that's my story with this little tractor hope you have enjoyed it.

Registered
Hi.

Nice find. Go to gtcoa.com. Has some good information. If you sign up for membership, you will receive a magazine with good information. If you send your address to me by using Conversations, I will send you a copy of the magazine.

Registered
There is a learning curve to using one of these things. There is a running joke around here that if you are bush hogging in the bramble briers, and happen to trip and lose your grip on the machine, your next priority if this happens to get up and get out of the way, it's guaranteed the machine is going to be making it's way back out of the briers at any moment.

Registered
Yep, these aren't forgiving machines from the OSHA era. I was brush cutting, walked backwards downhill and caught my heel on a root, thank heavens I wasn't running a machine from the generation where they could be locked in reverse (which can be fixed btw), or I might not still be here today.

You got your warning, enjoy and give the machine the respect it demands 馃槉

Registered
Nice machine! Be careful and respect it and it will serve you well!!

Now, who on this forum has NOT had an experience like the poster? Maybe even 2 or 3 or.....10?
There is a thread somewhere on the site with all kinds of horror stories. It makes you feel not so alone. You aren't!!

Congrats on a nice machine!!

Registered
I just bought my first zero turn mower, and am finding I am having just as many or more episodes with it as I did with my old Gravely. Slid into my SUV and creased the side of it. Got the roll bar jammed under the soffit of my building. Slid down the hill in wet grass several times. These things have no brakes just like the old gravely, though they do have a parking brake. I am surprised there is not a inquistion like the Corvair "unsafe in any yard".

Gravely 2-wheeler
Your tractor is set up for Quick Hitch attachments. Your attachments are the older 4-bolt style. If you take the Quick Hitch plate with the splined shaft off the front you should be able to bolt up the 4-bolt attachments directly. The attachments have a clutch (the disk thing with 6 bolts and springs) that should be set to a particular slip torque to protect gears, etc. Do not tilt the tractor front down with the front open or you will have a large oil spill. If you use a block off plate on the front make sure it has a center bolt that extends in about 2 1/4" to prevent the pinion shaft from moving too far forward.

Registered
'81 Gravely tractor, 50's 60's 70's 80's 90's Gravely tractors Various Honda Power equipment
Yes it is true you had to 'Man-Handle' the older Gravely walk-behind a little bit. They were built when men were men and before lawyers were as rich as they are today because people had personal responsibility back then.
You have to be careful with them, don't second guess them, they are heavy and can hurt you very severely if you are not careful with them.

Premium Member
I just bought my first zero turn mower, and am finding I am having just as many or more episodes with it as I did with my old Gravely. Slid into my SUV and creased the side of it. Got the roll bar jammed under the soffit of my building. Slid down the hill in wet grass several times. These things have no brakes just like the old gravely, though they do have a parking brake. I am surprised there is not a inquistion like the Corvair "unsafe in any yard".
What zero turn did you buy? My Gravely ZT XL has a parking brake...

As for sliding into things, that's a gravity/friction thing. Different tires can make a difference, as well as loading them, and then there is also just how it's operated (speed, angle of going up/down/turning on slopes).

And the roll bar hitting things is on the operator...

Registered
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Your tractor is set up for Quick Hitch attachments. Your attachments are the older 4-bolt style. If you take the Quick Hitch plate with the splined shaft off the front you should be able to bolt up the 4-bolt attachments directly. The attachments have a clutch (the disk thing with 6 bolts and springs) that should be set to a particular slip torque to protect gears, etc. Do not tilt the tractor front down with the front open or you will have a large oil spill. If you use a block off plate on the front make sure it has a center bolt that extends in about 2 1/4" to prevent the pinion shaft from moving too far forward.
Thank you I appreciate the information. The pinion shaft if it is moved out slightly can it be put back in place the same way. I was messing around with it the other day and noticed it looked like it did dropped out the front a little bit so I pushed it back in is there anything else I need to do. Thanka

Registered
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Yes it is true you had to 'Man-Handle' the older Gravely walk-behind a little bit. They were built when men were men and before lawyers were as rich as they are today because people had personal responsibility back then.
You have to be careful with them, don't second guess them, they are heavy and can hurt you very severely if you are not careful with them.
I appreciate all the warnings I am going to operate this machine with care and respect . I will not be bush hogging any any Hills right away until I get the hang of this thing . The rototiller looks like a fun one to use no guards no Shields just spinning blades of death lol.
I'm just messing around I'm sure someone has been hurt by that thing and I shouldn't joke about it. It truly is a remarkable piece of equipment and I will give it the respect it deserves.

Registered
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Hi.

Nice find. Go to gtcoa.com. Has some good information. If you sign up for membership, you will receive a magazine with good information. If you send your address to me by using Conversations, I will send you a copy of the magazine.
Hey tell me how I use the conversations. I do want the magazine. I could email you. My email is. [email protected]

Premium Member
The rototiller looks like a fun one to use no guards no Shields just spinning blades of death lol.
That's actually called a rotary plow. There's yet another attachment which is a more traditional rototiller (horizontal shaft with spinning tines on it)

The rotary plow is a truly awesome device. Does a better job than just about anything else I've seen at tearing up a garden. But a word of warning: Take it slow! If you encounter a good sized rock or tree root, that thing will yank the whole tractor sideways. Don't stand between the bars, and put it in the lowest speed you have when digging ground that's got unknown hazards in it.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts