My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
503 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've had a number of these first gen trucks over the last 15 years to haul firewood and they rusted out but taught me what I really wanted as far as configuration. I decided I wanted a one ton 2WD 5 speed manual dually standard cab and found exactly one outside the rust belt in the US at the time.

It was in Knoxville, my wife's cousin works in a car shop about an hour away, he's from Northern Indiana so he knows rust and checked it out for me. It was a farm truck so it had some rough edges and I knew it needed a grille and bumper (photo) but they are hard to find so I went for it. A buddy was headed down to Florida and back with a trailer so he picked it up for me but not before it hauled my wife's cousin's boat a few hours to a lake in Tennessee.

It turned out to need a radiator support and inner fender as well. The inner fender was easy, the radiator support was Cummins intercooled only and took an 8 hour round trip to find one.

While I had the front end off, I addressed the killer dowel pin and changed seals/serp belt/tensioner and flushed out the cooling system.

The gauges and speedometer worked randomly so I replaced all of them and cleaned up some wiring in the dash.

The exhaust was cobbled together so I installed a 4" Diamond Eye turbo back system.

The front truss rod bushings were totally shot so those were replaced. The rest of the front end should be redone as well but it's tolerable now.

Right after all that, I ended up needing major right shoulder surgery twice and was forbidden to drive anything with a manual transmission so it sat in the barn for almost 2 years. In the meantime, I hoarded parts as I found them and found a nice set of Ramcharger buckets and a console in matching grey cloth that I need to install.

It's been a year since the most recent shoulder surgery so I'm cleared to drive it now. I stuck on a decent fender but it has some Ohio rust, I have a better one that needs some work, but here it is. It doesn't look like much now but it's better than when I started and eventually it will look pretty good.

Attachments

·
Registered
426 Posts
I can't believe someone would say northern Indiana is know for rust. Did you check the case bolts also they can come loose also.

·
Premium Member
7,143 Posts
Cool truck and neat story! Thanks for the photos. It's neat that you've owned several of these to determine the exact configuration that best fits your needs. A first gen Dodge dually has a special look. :tango_face_smile:

It sounds like you're already off on a good start on your way to fixing it up. It's great you're able to drive it again and I'll bet it sure feels wonderful to be behind the wheel while feeling the torque of the Cummins and shifting some gears. :tango_face_smile: I'm sure it sounds just fine with the new exhaust too. Any plans on a little pump tuning and running some gauges or keeping her all stock? So much room to work underneath the hood of a first gen too!

·
Registered
503 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I can't believe someone would say northern Indiana is know for rust. Did you check the case bolts also they can come loose also.
I know SW Ohio is bad, my wife's cousin said it was worse up there, so I'm going with that, not knowing any better myself.

Which case bolts are you referring to?

Thanks

·
Registered
503 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Cool truck and neat story! Thanks for the photos. It's neat that you've owned several of these to determine the exact configuration that best fits your needs. A first gen Dodge dually has a special look. :tango_face_smile:

It sounds like you're already off on a good start on your way to fixing it up. It's great you're able to drive it again and I'll bet it sure feels wonderful to be behind the wheel while feeling the torque of the Cummins and shifting some gears. :tango_face_smile: I'm sure it sounds just fine with the new exhaust too. Any plans on a little pump tuning and running some gauges or keeping her all stock? So much room to work underneath the hood of a first gen too!
Thanks for the reply. I can tell the pump has been tweaked on this one, no plans for gauges yet since this one won't be hauling anything.

Yes, the sound through the split rear window going through the gears is glorious. I had a really nice extended cab dually but it was an automatic and it just wasn't the same. I stole the cold air intake from the x cab before I sold it as well.

·
Registered
426 Posts
I know SW Ohio is bad, my wife's cousin said it was worse up there, so I'm going with that, not knowing any better myself.

Which case bolts are you referring to?

Thanks
The bolts that hold the case to the block, they can come loose and be as bad as the KDP.

·
Parts collector
3,402 Posts
Nice!

I have had 3 first gens and I'm still running my 93 4x4 auto club cab 8' bed.

I was going to do the work myself to the 93 but it was winter and it needed a flex plate so I had my diesel guy do the flexplate, pump twist, 3200 governor spring, and a small twist on the fuel screw. I had put the fuel pin already. MAN did that wake that truck up! :tango_face_surprise

Being from PA I'm in the rust belt too. I had to put new floors in it, both front body mounts, and one rear mount. It still needs rockers and I have them but it can wait until I'm ready to paint it for that. :tango_face_devil:

My wife has a 2000 ext cab short bed 4x4 5 speed that she LOVES, and man that thing will run circles around my truck.

Good luck with finishing it up can't wait to see it done.

Tony

·
Registered
1,661 Posts
Never had a diesel in one but knew that series of Dodge truck very well. They had their quirks which I learned to live with.:tango_face_grin:

·
Registered
503 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Never had a diesel in one but knew that series of Dodge truck very well. They had their quirks which I learned to live with.:tango_face_grin:
The only thing that have been a common problem on mine has been the serpentine belt tensioner bearing and outer oil seals on the rear axles that can starve the rear axle bearings. The 2WD front end isn't really up to the task of supporting the engine and I need to deal with that soon. Other than that, they have been really reliable for me.

·
Registered
426 Posts
The only thing that have been a common problem on mine has been the serpentine belt tensioner bearing and outer oil seals on the rear axles that can starve the rear axle bearings. The 2WD front end isn't really up to the task of supporting the engine and I need to deal with that soon. Other than that, they have been really reliable for me.

If you keep blowing oil out the axle seals then check your axle vent hose to see if it's plugged.

·
Parts collector
3,402 Posts

·
Registered
503 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
X2 on that.
Thanks, axle vents have been clear, I think they generally just wore out and I was lucky enough to be owning the trucks. The least amount of miles I've had on one has been around 175,000.

·
Parts collector
3,402 Posts
Thanks, axle vents have been clear, I think they generally just wore out and I was lucky enough to be owning the trucks. The least amount of miles I've had on one has been around 175,000.
I had a 90 that had an 89 D71 rear axle (yes a different seal than the 90 D71). I could NEVER get the seals to stop leaking. They dribbled all the time. :tango_face_sad: Twice a year I would have to brake clean everything in the brake assembly. :tango_face_crying:

·
Registered
503 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I had a 90 that had an 89 D71 rear axle (yes a different seal than the 90 D71). I could NEVER get the seals to stop leaking. They dribbled all the time. :tango_face_sad: Twice a year I would have to brake clean everything in the brake assembly. :tango_face_crying:
That's what I ran into. First time I saw it on my 89 I thought the neighbor's dog peed on the wheel but he was too big to pee on the inside, haha.

It had been doing it for a while when I bought my 93 and it took out the rear axle bearings because the oil level got low enough that it no longer leaked so I didn't see it. It was a bad day when I discovered that had happened.

·
Parts collector
3,402 Posts
That's what I ran into. First time I saw it on my 89 I thought the neighbor's dog peed on the wheel but he was too big to pee on the inside, haha.

It had been doing it for a while when I bought my 93 and it took out the rear axle bearings because the oil level got low enough that it no longer leaked so I didn't see it. It was a bad day when I discovered that had happened
:tango_face_surprise

·
Registered
503 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
:tango_face_surprise
Yes, the previous owner was disabled and had no way to see if it was leaking. It leaked on his watch till it got low enough that it was dry when I checked it before buying it.

·
Parts collector
3,402 Posts
Yes, the previous owner was disabled and had no way to see if it was leaking. It leaked on his watch till it got low enough that it was dry when I checked it before buying it.
:tango_face_crying:

·
Registered
503 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
I haven't seen you on Cummins Forum for a while, glad to see your still around.
I haven't had a lot of time to stay active on there like I want to. Also, the truck has been sitting in the barn for a few years because I wasn't cleared to drive a manual after the shoulder surgeries. I did a lot of work to it while it sat but never could drive it. In fact, I drove it once for 5 minutes to get it home from where it was dropped off after coming up from Knoxville and that was it till I drove it to the new place last summer and put it in the barn here. It's just in the past few weeks that I started driving it again.

The new place has the same acreage as the old place but the old place was mostly woods so the 180 handled the acre or two that needed to be cut. The new place is maybe 3 acres of grass and 7 acres of field so the tractors are taking up my time as compared to the truck these days.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts