My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm brand new to tractors (is this considered a tractor?), and today I bought my first one. The sell ad is posted below. I brought it home, fired it up, and cut my grass. I have 13 acres, mostly wooded, with about 2 acres to cut. I'm hoping to pick up a tiller and blade eventually as well. I'll confess that I did not do much research at all before buying. Did I do okay? Any wisdom you can share about the 110 would be appreciated.

Here's the ad. I paid $425.
John Deere 110 Lawn and Garden Tractor. Made in Summer 1973. Type: T063. Serial #: 289121M. 10 hp Kohler engine. 40" cut. Includes JD Operator's Manual OMM46869 L2, a copy of the SM2088 (Nov 1969) Service Manual & Parts List. We bought this riding lawn mower from the original owner in 1998. Used until 2007 to mow the lawn. Mostly original. Always stored in a garage. Nice condition. Normal wear and tear, showing some signs of use (repaired seat, etc.). Front tires new in 2007. Replaced PTO Clutch, muffler, and belts in last four years. Repaired mower-deck pulleys and rebuilt carburetor about five years ago. Changed oil, cleaned deck and greased fittings every season.

·
Registered
873 Posts
Good luck with it! It it can handle all those acres you got one deal! Keep us posted on how it goes

·
Registered
193 Posts
Congrats!!! I think you did just great!!!

Enjoy!! :thThumbsU

·
Registered
1,890 Posts
Ummm, I think John deeres are tractors or do they just make kids toys.:sidelaugh

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Ummm, I think John deeres are tractors or do they just make kids toys.:sidelaugh
The terminology I've seen here like lawn tractor, garden tractor, etc. is a little confusing to a newbie. Just tryin' to get it right.

Here's my first actual question: What is the actual deck size and blade size? The seller had 40" in the ad, but I don't see any blades offered in that size.

·
Super Moderator
16,355 Posts
Noveske I sent you a PM with several link's to help you get started on your JD 110. :thThumbsU

·
MTF Member Since Day 1
622 Posts
Grats on a very nice looking 110. That tractor out here in the Northwest would fetch about twice that.

·
AKA Moses Lawnagan
4,642 Posts
Looking at the picture brings back memories. About 12 years ago I had a '72 110 that was in about the same shape, looked just like yours. I'd gladly give what you paid, and a bit more, to have it again. At the time, I wasn't into GT's other than as a machine to do a job. I didn't realize the value as something to collect, restore and still use. I also had a '67 110 at the same time. Boy, do I know now what I had.

Enjoy it, work it, play with it, BUT DON'T SELL IT !!! Very nice machine.

·
USMC
19,146 Posts
Nice looking ride and enjoy your GT. slkpk

·
Premium Member
5,415 Posts
You did good! Enjoy your new Deere but be careful it starts with one... AND :Welcome1:

·
Super Moderator
31,827 Posts
That looks like a real nice tractor, and a KILLER price concidering you unloaded it, and mowed!!!!!

The old 110's [and there close twins the 112's] are a true garden tractor. They may be smaller then some of the bigger GT's out there, but they are true workhorses!!! there are a lot of 110/112 owners on here [me being one of them] and I doupt you will find anyone that owns one, that does not love the thing.

So you got a good one!!!

·
Super Moderator
31,827 Posts
The terminology I've seen here like lawn tractor, garden tractor, etc. is a little confusing to a newbie. Just tryin' to get it right.

Here's my first actual question: What is the actual deck size and blade size? The seller had 40" in the ad, but I don't see any blades offered in that size.
Looks like a 39" deck on there. they also made a 42" deck for it. With that kinda mowing you have, you may want to add one of them to your wish list. And no worrys about it being too big. My 70 112 with a slighty tired 10hp Kohler pulls the 42" deck through thick, tall grass with ease.

·
Registered
627 Posts
You did do good. With 13 ac you'll probably get the bug for a bigger tractor eventually. I'd still keep that 110 though for mowing. It's a classic work horse.

·
Registered
181 Posts
That is one nice 110 you have there! Nothing like owning a piece of history that you can also use and enjoy.:thThumbsU

1 - 14 of 14 Posts