1 - 20 of 51 Posts

·
Murray tractor owner
2,672 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
cub cadet 051.jpg

cub cadet 052.jpg

cub cadet 055.jpg

I just got this Cub Cadet 72 from across town for $300. It is in great shape and only missing the fenders. It needs the PTO clutch adjusted. I also need some help replacing this bearing behind this....
cub cadet 058.JPG Please help me.

·
Farm Show
5,386 Posts
These tractors are great! Congrats. on your IH Cub Cadet tractor purchase:fing32:! First and fore most, disconnect the battery. Then remove the ignition wire that is hooked up to the positive terminal on the coil. Next, remove the wires on the S/G. Unscrew the pto engaugement rod at the turn buckel and seperate.....take note of your thread length, and you may need to loosen up the phillups screw that pivots the engaugement leaver and note how many turns out. Then, remove the wire harness clamps that are located on the right side at the bottom and top of the cast iron grill piece from the voltage reg. down. Remove the 2 bolts holding the VR and take the whole wire harness and fold it back. You need to remove the hood now, and remove the iron grill. Then all you have is the 4 motor mount bolts which you will need a 9/16 wrench. Remove the 3 anti-rattel springs on the drive pins if you still have them. Now you have clearence to slide the motor out from the clutch drive hub. When you get this far, post some picts. Always take pictures so you can look back and see what you did:fing32:. Here is a nice wright up from a fella by the name of Jim Steele: :trink39:

Attachments

·
Murray tractor owner
2,672 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks so much! It has been chatering and driving me nuts! :thanku:

·
Super Moderator
16,690 Posts
Well congrats on your 72:thThumbsU

·
Murray tractor owner
2,672 Posts
Discussion Starter #5

·
Premium Member
2,272 Posts
That's an awesome find man! Best way to spend 300 IMO :) I'd like to own a 7hp some day.

·
Murray tractor owner
2,672 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
It is quite something!!

·
Registered
2,779 Posts
The more I look at it the more I like it MTD. It is growing on me. When you get the 995 running you should have a little tug of war against the 72.

·
Murray tractor owner
2,672 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Haha! I will!

·
Murray tractor owner
2,672 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
How would I fix the PTO clutch?

·
Murray tractor owner
2,672 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
How do you fix the PTO clutch???

·
Murray tractor owner
2,672 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Well it isnt engaging. it isnt working.

·
Finally at 1k!
1,518 Posts
pictures are needed. There should be a turn buckle on the side, it probably isnt adjusted right.

·
Murray tractor owner
2,672 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Well it doesnt work even after adjusting that.

·
Premium Member
2,272 Posts
If it doesn't work after adjusting the turnbuckle, either it's toast, or was adjusted improperly by previous owner. To adjust them, you have to remove them from the crankshaft, disassemble, reassemble using an adjustment gauge, and reinstall.

Pretty straightforward, but there are some difficulties that can arise in the process, the most major of them being the set-screws that hold it onto the bearing/crank. They can be a real pain. Get out the PBlaster now!

·
Finally at 1k!
1,518 Posts
if you could post some pictures it would be helpful

·
Murray tractor owner
2,672 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I will.

·
Murray tractor owner
2,672 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Somebody told me that it might need a new nylon wear button for my pto.

·
Premium Member
2,272 Posts
If the wear button is bad it will be obvious to the naked eye. When you adjusted that turnbuckle, and moved the PTO lever, can you see that button is contacting the center of the PTO clutch? Does the clutch want to grab at all?

1 - 20 of 51 Posts