My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
5K Poster!!!
5,142 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have embarked on the journey to pure happiness in walk behind mowing....

As many of you might know I'm a huge fan of the Toro line of recycler mowers and own and operate three of them all with two cycle Suzuki engines.....Wellllllll, I've decided to terrorize one of them with a transplant.

I have this "heavy duty" Snapper that I dislike except the engine..Wisconsin Robin two cycle that I feel is just sitting around not getting used so I've decided to size these two up and I feel it should work...What do you think?

WR on a Toro deck....The bolt pattern looks the same...I'm gonna go for it and see what happens. Wish me luck.

·
The Sea of Green Machines
4,787 Posts
Right now pure bliss would be a lawn with green grass... any one of my mowers will do..

You always manage to find some nice Gems Indy

·
5K Poster!!!
5,142 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Right now pure bliss would be a lawn with green grass... any one of my mowers will do..

You always manage to find some nice Gems Indy
Well, I have to admit seat time is waaaaaay down right now. Its been relentless heat and very little rain for over a month now....It sucks here right now. Its all brown and dead with even the weeds are shriveling in the wind.

I hate to pull that good Suzuki off that deck but I just gotta run that WR on a deck I like.

·
OMC approved.
197 Posts
I saw the vid you posted of your WR in another thread, gotta say that thing sounds nice!! Good luck with your swap, you've got me scouring craigslist trying to find a WR for my own:fing32: How scarce are they?, I figure it may take me a loooong time to find one.

·
5K Poster!!!
5,142 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I saw the vid you posted of your WR in another thread, gotta say that thing sounds nice!! Good luck with your swap, you've got me scouring craigslist trying to find a WR for my own:fing32: How scarce are they?, I figure it may take me a loooong time to find one.
Well lets see here....37 years and about 150 mowers later...thats no joke.:trink40:

·
Registered
4,418 Posts
I say go for it! That would be a pretty sweet set up. Sell the snapper minus engine for parts and keep the suzuki if you ever decided to put it back on.

·
Administrator
21,543 Posts
This sounds like a good photo shoot when you do the transplant. Keep the progress posted!

·
Registered
3,782 Posts
the shaft is too long on the robin . you could make it work but it wont cut like a toro should . if you want to get some use from the snapper -use it for leaf cleanup or put a ninja blade on it and mulch grass.

·
5K Poster!!!
5,142 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
the shaft is too long on the robin . you could make it work but it wont cut like a toro should . if you want to get some use from the snapper -use it for leaf cleanup or put a ninja blade on it and mulch grass.

That was my biggest concern since I couldn't effectively measure the shaft lengths...hmmm. Theres always something with my bright ideas. :crybaby:

I'll do some more investigation before I get too down and dirty.

Thx.

·
Registered
2,420 Posts
That was my biggest concern since I couldn't effectively measure the shaft lengths...hmmm. Theres always something with my bright ideas. :crybaby:

I'll do some more investigation before I get too down and dirty.

Thx.
If the shaft lengths aren't too far off-shim the engine mounts.

·
5K Poster!!!
5,142 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
If you do decide to sell the Snapper deck and all that, let me know!!
I will....I was gonna throw it in my friends mower pile. I have no use for it. But first I have to see if this will work.

As for the shaft length....I feel deflated about it but shims are a good idea.. Thx.

·
Registered
2,420 Posts
I will....I was gonna throw it in my friends mower pile. I have no use for it. But first I have to see if this will work.

As for the shaft length....I feel deflated about it but shims are a good idea.. Thx.
Just box up that Toro as is and ship it to me...I'd love to have it as is !

·
5K Poster!!!
5,142 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I'm gonna pull the robin off the snapper deck tomorrow and size it up with a spare Suzuki two cycle I have in storage and see how it looks.

·
Registered
1,365 Posts
That snapper looks familiar... lol that would be a GREAT machine with the Toro deck and 2 cycle Robin. Good luck! :)

·
5K Poster!!!
5,142 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Well, made some progress tonight while I listened to some local HS football on the radio....

I pulled the WR off the snap and compared it to a Suzuki and I can't tell by eye but using a square, the bottom of the blade driver on the WR is in fact about 1/2" longer than the suz. But...the blade driver on the wr is actually longer than the suz's...the good news is the self propel pulleys on each engine line up the same and in fact I mounted the suzuki engine on the snap deck and its almost a perfect fit. Two mounting holes line up and the engine sits straight as an arrow.( which doesn't matter...the snapper is history if this works)

My only issue right now is shaft length when the WR is mounted on the Toro...when I looked under the Toro deck there is room for a half inch more before the deck edge but shimming the engine mounts will mis alighn the self propel pulley causing dangerous wear on the belt I assume..(bummer) it was a good thought.

I could cut half an inch off the WR shaft length but not sure I want to do a thing like that because its irreversible...

I'll keep you posted on what goes down...:trink39:

·
Registered
4,418 Posts
Glad to hear that its only a half inch off. Can the Pulley be dropped? Say, Drill a hole on the crank, then tap it? That way, all you would need to to is make a bracket that goes on the deck. If its half an inch, you can use 1/2 inch aluminum plate, with either a circle or square cut out of it...

·
Registered
2,420 Posts
1 - 20 of 20 Posts