My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 20 of 80 Posts

·
Registered
1,505 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Why are these kits/attachments soo hard to find?

·
Premium Member
8,842 Posts
What you really want is a two wheel tractor.

·
Registered
1,505 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
we decided that a rear tiller won't work on a 16G

·
Premium Member
8,842 Posts
muffler is in the way
It should not be. The PTO shaft that runs through the axle block is under the axle, not above. Also the exhaust pipe should be well inboard of the axle block.

·
Registered
1,505 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
If you look back at my first thread we discussed this.

·
Premium Member
8,842 Posts

·
Registered
1,505 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Search my threads started. I'm on a phone or I could.
I was basically informed to not even try to search for a rear tiller and to just get one from sears or tsc.

·
Premium Member
8,842 Posts
I found the thread at http://www.mytractorforum.com/showthread.php?t=191381

What I read was one person's opinion against a Gravely tiller.

I have a Gravely rear tiller and it will chew up and spit out a Craftsman, engine and all.

Sure you will need a liftable rear hitch, cultivator, block, gearbox and driveshafts but I believe it is worth it.

Having said all that, is it what I use once the plants are in the ground? No. I use the narrower two wheel tractor and tiller. If I had more room to put in a bigger garden I would use the 4 wheel tractor all the time. The 4 wheel tractor is significantly wider than the two wheel tractor so I can space the rows closer if I use the two wheel tractor/tiller. In the spring and fall I till with the 4 wheel tractor. It is a lot easier than the 2 wheel tractor.

Your biggest problem is the lack of a hydraulic lift. That kills the whole idea of a front or rear mounted tiller or rotary plow. That is why I suggested that you get a nice 5000 or Pro tractor with a tiller.

Once you have a two wheel tiller, the extra bits needed for a rotary plow are minimal since the drive (gearbox) for the plow and tiller are the same.

Money wise, the two wheel tractor and tiller cost is about the same as a rear tiller setup for a 4 wheel tractor. Maybe less.

·
Gravelyyard.com
5,922 Posts
I'll second what Richard said. The rear tiller works great. It's just fairly pricey. Expect to pay around $750 for a setup. $250 for the tiller, $250 for the lift hitch, and $250 for the PTO case, axle block and shafts. The axle block for a G is the hardest piece to get and may increase the price because they are so rare. Like many things Gravely, you must be patient and intentional. Deep pockets help too!

1 - 20 of 80 Posts