My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Resident Man Of Many Hats
2,641 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So our Chihuahua and Miniature Pinscher (yes dont laugh) got into World War 3 in our living room on Saturday over a squeeky toy. The Chihuahua somehow got the Miniature Pinscher by the face and put a few bites on her lip. Other than a few battle scars the Chihuahua is fine but the Miniature Pinscher took a beating. She has a few little marks under her chin and on the side of her face but they are nothing major, bled for a bit but now they are healed up and fine. Her lip however is not doing to good. She has one or two puncture wounds on her upper lip, even looks like there is a cut inside. Her lip has been swollen since Saturday and it feels really hard to the touch. Is it just swollen from the wound or do you guys think she needs to see a vet? It hasnt gotten worse and there is no discharge or anything, the bite marks are very small so it's not mangled either. On the other hand it hasnt gotten any better either. We're trying to avoid forking out cash to the vet just to tell us it's normal. They havent really beat each other that bad before so we really do not know what to expect from two 8 lb dogs getting into a UFC match. Any thoughts?

·
Banned
2 Posts
i am sure its just swollen from the brawl it will go down ..I have a shitsoo or what ever its called and a cat they brawl all the time and have scared each other up bad ...my dog has a big scar across his nose from all four claws of the cat looks like freedy got him lol .If it dont go down in a few more days take him in

·
Retired MTF Founder & Administrator
15,755 Posts
as long as its not infected i'd guess she might be fine. One of my boxers got into a lirrle scuffle, and had a cut on her face, it never really healed and eventually turned into a growth, which i had to have removed.... with your mini, i'd just keep an eye on it and hopefully the swelling will go away.

next time videotape it... they might be the next you tube sensation :ROF

j/k but good luck!

·
Registered
218 Posts
I agree with SJ, if you don't see any signs of infection, they will be fine. May not win any more beauty pageants though.

·
Registered
609 Posts
My two older dogs get into it about once a week, usually the oldest dog gets the bad end, has had a few holes in his lip and even one in his ear. We get our beef from the local vet and he looked and said they are fine. I would just watch it and make sure it doesn't get infected. Heck my Britt has been bit twice by a cottonmouth and they don't do anything for that.

·
2,641 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
It's looking like it is going down slightly, still ugly but is not rock hard like it was. It doesnt look infected or anything and she doesnt seem to be in any pain. I guess if it's not better in a few days, off to the vet we go. Other than these two I've never been around any dogs that beat on each other so I really have no idea what typical battle scars look like or how long they take to heal.

·
15,755 Posts
maybe you could give her a 1/4 of a bufferin?
buffered aspirin is ok, tylenol or ibuprofen is not. where she is so small, id say just 1/4

·
Registered
1,330 Posts
maybe you could teach your dogs respect so they dont do that. My 2 dogs would never think of hurting one another and thats due to proper training and showing each one the attention they deserve from me...one not more than the other. It starts with proper dog ownership...just saying

·
15,755 Posts
maybe you could teach your dogs respect so they dont do that. My 2 dogs would never think of hurting one another and thats due to proper training and showing each one the attention they deserve from me...one not more than the other. It starts with proper dog ownership...just saying

I have to respectfully disagree with you here.

I know some fine dog owners, with very well trained dogs, well informed and conscientious owners. Sometimes they (the dogs not the owners :ROF) just snap or lose it and go after one another. Sometimes over something as trivial as a dog toy or food. I dont think it has anything to do with respect or lack thereof.. its just their nature, pack mentality, and one trying to be the leader over the other.

·
Premium Member
2,203 Posts

I know some fine dog owners, with very well trained dogs, well informed and conscientious owners. Sometimes they (the dogs not the owners :ROF) just snap or lose it and go after one another. Sometimes over something as trivial as a dog toy or food. I dont think it has anything to do with respect or lack thereof.. its just their nature, pack mentality, and one trying to be the leader over the other.
Well said. :thThumbsU

·
Registered
1,330 Posts
I never had the issues with any of my dogs, EVER! Have dogs over 40 years. Never seen it in my household. They are just loved equally. Just my 2 cents

·
Registered
49 Posts
Over the last 12 years 10 dogs have found there way into my house. They all get along fine. But one day the **** did fly here it was just over a toy. Over in 3 minutes it can happen fast. These two sleep together play together every day only once did this happen. My dogs are all trained well, it just can happen. I agree with Lilysdad imagine it was your face or one of your kids. I use antibiotic ointment on the dogs if need.

·
2,641 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·

Thanks for the reply and I agree with you totally. Even the most "well trained" animals lash out every now and then, it's just their nature. Ours are inseperable for the most part, get along great and always have. Not sure what triggered the sudden battle but its not an everyday thing and has nothing to do with training or respect. Not sure how my dogs getting into a spat makes me a bad pet owner?

·
Registered
338 Posts
Keep in mind that no matter how much training or love you give your dog(s), they are still dogs. You can't train instincts out of them, and a lot has to do with individual personality. I, personally, can't make the connection of thinking if it was my or my childs lip, since they are a totally different animal, literally and figuratively. When dogs get hurt they continue doing what they were doing, when people get hurt they cry and go to the doctor. Dogs aren't people.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts