My Tractor Forum banner

101 - 119 of 119 Posts

·
4K Poster!!!
4,429 Posts
You are wise to install and use the fuel shutoff valve. Look at the fire hazard you just had! Now, to get in the habit of using it when parking the mower...

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #102
If you look at the second picture closely you can see a small piece of debris where the valve seats, allowing the bowl to overflow.
Thanks for sharing that...that is a good visual on how closely I need to look at the carburetor to make sure nothing got stuck in there. Such a small piece of debris made the engine stop working!

·
Michael
2,915 Posts
You are wise to install and use the fuel shutoff valve. Look at the fire hazard you just had! Now, to get in the habit of using it when parking the mower...
You are correct. I thought I was safe with a freshly cleaned carb & the fuel shutoff solenoid, but that failed as well. Lesson learned. Now to get that gasoline smell out of my workshop!

Thanks for sharing that...that is a good visual on how closely I need to look at the carburetor to make sure nothing got stuck in there. Such a small piece of debris made the engine stop working!
It doesn't take much, not sure where that little piece of dirt came from but now I'll be going through the entire fuel system....again. At least the fuel tank sits under the hood & not under the seat so it's a lot easier to remove & clean.

·
Registered
3,374 Posts
And remember, don't let anyone tell you or tell others that the fuel solenoid is supposed to or will stop the fuel overflowing issue. It was never designed for that and it is incapable of stopping the fuel from overflowing and running out the exhaust or getting into the crankcase. It only touches the tip of the main jet. It stops fuel from being sucked up the jet when there is large volumes of air going into the engine through the carburetor. When the float or needle and seat don't do their job and seal properly the bowl gets a much higher level in it than it should and goes all the way to the rim and the continued pressure pushes it up through other holes and the carburetor into the throat.
Usually when the solenoids fail they fail in the closed position or they fail to maintain their open position under operation. So they almost always cause a no-start condition. But so many people posting on the internet believe it has something to do with when their oil gets full of gas.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #105
Thanks for that additional information Toby U. I appreciate learning about how all of this stuff is supposed to work. :)

So, the temperature today dropped from the 97 degrees (67% humidity) it was outside yesterday, to 75 degrees outside today. People here can thank me for that temperature drop because shortly after the A/C technician fixed my A/C, the temperatures outside dropped dramatically. ;-)

Today I changed the oil and filter on my tractor mower and then I removed the carburetor float bowl again.

I think I know what caused the carburetor to flood this time and what may have been part of the issue this whole time...

After I took off the float bowl this time, I noticed 2 little parts lying in the choke area underneath where the float bowl goes. I got them out and figured out that they are 2 little jets that go up into the emulsion tube body. Either they fell out the last time I took the float bowl off and I didn't realize it, or this time. So, if they were missing when I put the carburetor back together or if they were so loose that they fell out, I'm guessing that would make the carburetor flood.
While I was looking at one of the jets, it got knocked out of my hand onto the floor and haven't found it yet, but everything I'm reading says to just replace them because they need to fit snuggly into the tube and mine don't. I read that the o-rings deteriorate after awhile especially from ethanol or bad gas and then the jets don't fit snuggly.
I saw another thread on this forum discussing the 2 main jets (I'm not sure if they are discussing the same carburetor I have though.
I'm trying to figure out the part numbers so I can order 2 new main jets.
I've checked the Replacement Parts website, but am not finding them for some reason.
There are part numbers in this other thread, I'm not sure they are the same as mine though...
http://www.mytractorforum.com/#/topics/337914
Here are pics of the one jet I still have (I'm not sure if the 2 jets are the same or different sizes) and pics showing where they go.

Attachments

·
1,911 Posts
You're right... they're just a press fit, the carb cleaner probably helped do 'em in. Hmm. Ah well...

E-117 and E117A is what you need from the carb kit diagram.

Part #s 791501 and 791502, respectively.

Almost there.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #108
You're right... they're just a press fit, the carb cleaner probably helped do 'em in. Hmm. Ah well...

E-117 and E117A is what you need from the carb kit diagram.

Part #s 791501 and 791502, respectively.

Almost there.
I guess I cleaned them too well ;-)

Thank you for the part numbers. I have ordered them and hope they will be here in the next day or two.

In the mean time, I am going to work on cleaning up the engine. I'm going to get the grease I need to do the lube and grease maintenance. I am planning on doing it after its running.

I am going to get some wood blocks or something to drive the mower onto so I can get underneath it and clean that up before I do the greasing.

·
Registered
2,362 Posts
I guess I cleaned them too well ;-)

Thank you for the part numbers. I have ordered them and hope they will be here in the next day or two.

In the mean time, I am going to work on cleaning up the engine. I'm going to get the grease I need to do the lube and grease maintenance. I am planning on doing it after its running.

I am going to get some wood blocks or something to drive the mower onto so I can get underneath it and clean that up before I do the greasing.
Use large, SINGLE blocks. Don't stack 'em. Having the tractor fall on you is a really unpleasant experience. (that, and we like to keep members around for a good long time. :) ) I use a floor jack, and jackstands... But, my tractor weighs about 2200 pounds in mowing trim.

·
Registered
2,618 Posts
Victoria1
you could have had a some what kind of nice used mower and cut the grass by now
and still work on yours at the same time
we can not buy all the tools o rings an thing we could use. that they say we need to do just one thing with.
we get mad at the things we have and get something different- newer or one that runs. to do the same thing over again
you have shown you can do it. just slow down and take your time

john

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #112
Hello, sorry I have not updated my post for a few days...it has been a crazy, and often rainy, week.
I am planning on installing the jets today and putting it back together to see what happens. I will let you know how it goes...fingers crossed :)

Good point HeyYou, I don't think having a tractor fall on me would be very good...I will find some big solid blocks or use a jack and jack stands. :)

I actually thought about that they other day no2498, but really I haven't spent much at all to get the mower fixed. I needed to change filters, oil and sparkplugs anyway. Plus I have learned and am still learning a lot of useful stuff so I will be able to take better care of my tractor mower from now on.
I did break down and pay a guy who mows all of the neighbor's yards to mow mine once. I figured since it was so long, I didn't want to use my mower and gunk it all up with grass and weeds. Plus with the storms we've had, there could be large sticks hidden in the grass and I don't want to hit one of those or something else and mess up the mower deck.
The other reason is my girly side showing...I mowed once when it was really tall grass and I mowed over a nest of baby bunnies...They actually survived that, but if I had cut them up, it would have been awful. Plus, my dog at the time, ended up killing 2 of them before I could move them. Sad.

Wayne50, now I am blushing! Thanks for the complement though. A girl always likes those ;-)

·
Registered
278 Posts
The other reason is my girly side showing...I mowed once when it was really tall grass and I mowed over a nest of baby bunnies...They actually survived that, but if I had cut them up, it would have been awful.
They burrow in, so you probably wouldn't suck them up. But baby bunnies are sooooooo cute.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #114
Oh my gosh, I went back to this old post of mine to look at some of the info that you all gave to me. I now realize that I never put the final update to this post. I am so sorry! I actually found out I had cancer shortly after my last post and that sort of took over my life for the past couple of years. I am better now, but its been a tough road. I sure hope that you all don't hate me for dropping off and not following up until now. So, all of your help worked and the lawn mower did start to work and I was able to get the lawn mowed finally! I could not have done it without this forum and all of your help. Thank you all again so very much!

·
1,911 Posts
Good to see you again, and sorry to hear of your illness. But... if you can fix an old JD then you can beat the big C fo' sho'.

All the best. 🥂

·
2,860 Posts
Your first post looked like a "how to" if your tractor does not start....great job...sorry that you had to face that health problem....very glad that you overcame it....did you move back to Alaska?

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #117
Good to see you again, and sorry to hear of your illness. But... if you can fix an old JD then you can beat the big C fo' sho'.

All the best. 🥂
Thanks so much! Yes, I think you are right about fixing my old JD...I would not have been able to do it without your help. My neighbors couldn't believe that I got it going and I told them about you guys helping me step by step.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #118
Your first post looked like a "how to" if your tractor does not start....great job...sorry that you had to face that health problem....very glad that you overcame it....did you move back to Alaska?
Than you for that...I was reading through it all again, and I only knew what to do because of this forum and all of your help here. The cancer was no fun, but I am also glad to be done with it. I was bald for awhile...I kind of liked it though...it was so easy to take care of and I just put a little hat on when it was cold. I didn't move back to Alaska, but I sent my son up there for awhile to stay with my sister and her family during some of the tougher cancer stuff. I had to go to Portland, Oregon for treatments since they had a specialized and new treatments for anal cancer which is what I had. My son is a teenager now, but during my cancer treatments he thought it was great fun to see people's reactions when they asked what kind of cancer I had, and he quickly told them I had butt cancer. :oops::D Anyway, I am thinking of moving up to Oregon sometime in the near future to be closer to family and friends. I sure hope that you are doing well. The remodel of the website looks really good! Sorry to get so far off topic...

·
Super Moderator
26,830 Posts
Well glad to see you back here posting, congratulations on beating the cancer, that is one heck of a fight for anyone. You've now learned one of the great secrets of being a man, having short hair is easy to maintain!!!

101 - 119 of 119 Posts