My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
509 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey Everybody!

I did it. I got my Comm 10 running again. I started in the winter and had several setbacks. One was I couldn't find a local shop to turn the crank of the K241. There were others but it will take too much typing to tell.

Most of the pictures are under GravelyNM at the Yahoo Gravelyclub but here are some to keep some of you from requesting pictures! I have never rebuilt an engine before but I learned a lot from all you guys. Everything from putting the crank in the freezer to help in mounting the main bearing to putting talcum powder in the wheels to help the tube seat correctly. Thanks a million!

My weeds were bad--I'm 6' 6" and they were taller than me! I've got about 5 hours on the machine now. It started right up (after I reinstalled the fuel pump correctly!). I am waiting for a few more parts to finish the project including the PCV filter. While the cover is off I will check the valve clearance again and I will check the head bolts. All in all I am pleased with the machine.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
2,665 Posts
Congratulations. Nice work. I've been clearing an acre myself with a 7.6 Super, so no doubt it will do a great job. Problem is once you get the machine looking that pretty, taking it out to do hard work is difficult.

·
Registered
509 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
This is how I received it from my Dad who bought it 1972. The deck IS beefy. Even with that it still needs weight in the front. I had some front disks from my Caravan that I used. What a difference in how it handles! Still, it is a "run behind" Comm 10 but I keep the throttle about half and the mower blade sounds like it is going to take off. The machine is complete and is now getting dirty--just what it is supposed to do.

Attachments

·
Registered
277 Posts
That's a nice looking Gravely. When I got mine someone had welded up a little tray on the front of the bush hog. When I go through some really thick stuff, like corn stalks and beans, I'll put some weight on it, but for the lighter stuff I take the weight off, it's easier to turn and handle without it, IMO.

Matt

·
Registered
509 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
They are! I knew I was saving them for something... Maybe not as classy as other weights but I will take practical over classy any day.:thThumbsU

·
Registered
509 Posts
Discussion Starter #11 (Edited)
Matt,

I agree with you about it being easier to handle w/o the weights. With the sulky the front end is too light so that's why I mounted them. The K241 is heavy and the front end will lift up with or without the sulky when putting into forward unless eased into it. I have 4 weights--3 seems to be about right.

·
Gravelyyard.com
5,922 Posts
They are! I knew I was saving them for something... Maybe not as classy as other weights but I will take practical over classy any day.:thThumbsU
I'm with you there.

You know, you may have the first Gravely two wheeler with disk brakes......

·
Premium Member
2,729 Posts
I'm with you there.

You know, you may have the first Gravely two wheeler with disk brakes......
Now if we could only find some pink boots to go with the brake discs.....hmmmm.....any ideas Ron?? :eek:mg:

Nice restoration work NM - I have a '66 "run-behind" Comm 10 in the fleet - they are nothing short of a blast and virtually indestructable! It appears that you have fun with yours as well! :fing32:

·
Gravely bug bit.
8,733 Posts
If you use a long drive 106 you don't need the weights. But finding them is getting harder. :(

·
Registered
277 Posts
Nice restoration work NM - I have a '66 "run-behind" Comm 10 in the fleet - they are nothing short of a blast and virtually indestructable! It appears that you have fun with yours as well! :fing32:
My 66 is like that too...I've been thinking about trying to get some smaller tires for it, but it probably wouldnt make that much of a difference in the speed, maybe like 1/4 MPH or something...

I wish they made gear reduction wheels for them.

Matt

·
Registered
509 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Thanks, guys for all the compliments! :thanku: Ron, most disks are for stopping--these ones help it to go.

I can see now that this will be my mowing machine because of the ground speed and such. I have a rotary plow and cultivator that I plan to tear down and refurbish this winter and I will need a machine to 'host' those implements. The problem is New Mexico is not know for its abundance of old Gravelys. There are plenty in Kansas, Oklahoma and east Texas but those are two day journeys for me. I live near the AZ border.

I would like to get an L Swiftmatic and repower it with a Honda clone or similar as my next project. The camp I volunteer at every summer in the mountains of of New Mexico needs a Gravely with a sickle bar mower, a 30" mower, a front dump cart, a sulky and a 48" blade. If you all know of someone heading west on I10 who may be willing to donate these implements, please send them my way. I will refurbish everything in my shop and donate it all to the camp.

Yeah, I got the bug! It's probably a good thing there are not an abundance of unused Gravelys as I may be temped to collect them and have too many.:dancingpa

·
Gravely bug bit.
8,733 Posts
Thanks, guys for all the compliments! :thanku: Ron, most disks are for stopping--these ones help it to go.

I can see now that this will be my mowing machine because of the ground speed and such. I have a rotary plow and cultivator that I plan to tear down and refurbish this winter and I will need a machine to 'host' those implements. The problem is New Mexico is not know for its abundance of old Gravelys. There are plenty in Kansas, Oklahoma and east Texas but those are two day journeys for me. I live near the AZ border.

I would like to get an L Swiftmatic and repower it with a Honda clone or similar as my next project. The camp I volunteer at every summer in the mountains of of New Mexico needs a Gravely with a sickle bar mower, a 30" mower, a front dump cart, a sulky and a 48" blade. If you all know of someone heading west on I10 who may be willing to donate these implements, please send them my way. I will refurbish everything in my shop and donate it all to the camp.

Yeah, I got the bug! It's probably a good thing there are not an abundance of unused Gravelys as I may be temped to collect them and have too many.:dancingpa
Too many? Someone grab the bar of soap while I get a bucket of water. ;)

·
Registered
509 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
From what I have read on this site, NO one can have too many.:thThumbsU

Well, I did have some parts that are left over and not mounted to the tractor. As you can see in the picture, I put a screen (where there had been none when I got the machine) over the flywheel. I have about 6 hours of mowing tall weeds and noticed that a lot of debris went into the cooling system. I removed the shroud and cleaned out the flywheel and cooling fins. MY NEWLY REBUILT ENGINE!:Stop: (The last of my parts came in so I installed a new throttle cable and missing linkage (thanks Richard's!), PCV filter, adjusted the valves, retorqued the head bolts, remounted the electronic ignition module and fabricated and installed my own stand and locking handle.)

I have, of course, the flywheel pulley and starter/gen with pulley (now with a new belt). I have the screen cover, lock washer, bolts, belt guard and guard bolts. These are #s 70, 73, 74, 75, 76, and 77 respectively in the Comm 10 parts diagram. What I am missing is #71, cylinder screen, #72 spacer. I can see that having the cooling air come in from the side instead of directly from the rear will prevent a lot less debris from entering the cooling system. Plus, the original screen had a lot smaller holes. (I used the only material I had laying around.) The parts diagram says the bolts are only 3/4". In pictures I have seen, the screen appears to be at least 1 1/2" deep. The only way I can imagine the original configuration is if the spacers were threaded on both ends--male on the flywheel side and female on the screen cover side. Can anyone give me more information on this setup? And does anyone have spacers and a screen off of a 10HP k241 or equivalent? Any help will be much appreciated!! Thanks again, everyone!

Attachments

·
Registered
277 Posts
That looks really nice. I don't think my starter/generator is mounted up right by the looks of your pic. Mine has a little rod mounted to the top of it that pushes against the cover of the engine.

What year is this? Does anyone know if they changed the way that they mounted the starter/generators over the years (hint...hint...Fla Don :trink40:)

·
Registered
509 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Thanks again, Matt. The bracket and such are #s 24-30 in the C10 parts list. Bracket # 24 is held in place by two of the slightly longer head bolts. It is a sturdy design.

Does your flywheel still have the screen? If so, how is it mounted?

Here are more pics of the "completed" machine and also the "damage" it did to my field.

Matt, you can see the bracket that mounts to the head to hold the starter.

Frank

Attachments

1 - 20 of 27 Posts