My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
877 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi
I have a Compaq running Windows XP. It has two CD drives. The first one to play CDs and the second one to play CDs and DVDs and also to burn CDs and DVDs. The CD rom works fine. The burner will play but not recognize a disk when trying to burn. If I try to burn some pictures It will say put in a
blank writeable CD. When I do and hit next it will just sit there and still show that it needs a blank CD.
Thanks in advance

Rod

·
Castor Freak
2,167 Posts
I would try putting in another blank disc. Sometimes if I dont label my discs I've already burned, I'll try to put them in my computer and burn pictures to them but it won't let me burn the pictures to them because the disc has already been burned once. Just try another known blank disc, sounds like the problem to me.

·
Retired MTF Founder & Administrator
15,755 Posts
sometimes rod, IMO its easier to just swap out the cd rom. they cost 15-25$ from tigerdirect, and sometimes just crap out.......

·
Registered
8,508 Posts
Try another disk. Sometimes the drives are picky about certain brands of disks.

·
Registered
877 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks to all who replied. I did switch discs and tried different things. When I used the windows programs to copy to disc it would not work, but I tried my Sonic disc program it did work. The drive will also play games so I think it is a windows software problem. As long as I can get it to work I will leave it alone.
Thanks again
Rod

·
Banned
628 Posts
i think i got it ....

it sounds like you didnt change to the drive you want to burn on ...its probably looking at the disc drive that only plays cds...
try switching the write drive ..... ex( you have it on D: switch it to E)

·
Banned
628 Posts
there should be something that says "destination drive" and you would change that ...... if i could help you more .... you have to tell me the name of the program ? or are you just doing drag and drop from windows explorer ?

·
Banned
628 Posts
lol

i think you both have the same problem,and solution.
but im not sure if you know what im talking about .....

"there should be something that says "destination drive" and you would change that"

do you have 2 drives a well ken ?

·
Banned
628 Posts
Yes, I have 2 drives..

Why should I have to change it when I have been using one for 2 years..

I can use a CD that I have pictures stored on and it will be OK..I try a new CD and it will not recognize it!!

Some old ones as well..

your using a cd, and not a dvd .. correct ?
some older dvd drives dont like certain dvd media

·
Registered
152 Posts
1 - 18 of 18 Posts