My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
A semi-retired senior cit
2,132 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We went to Lenox, Ma. today with my trailer. Got lost the last little bit of the trip. Called the owner Pete and he talked us right to his home. Beautiful country up that way, nice small town everything seems laid back. Well the Case was just like the ad said and looked like the picture, got the old motor, has a 14 hp Kohler out of a JD tractor under the hood.

It needs work, but I knew that from the start, for the price I paid I think I did very well, easy to fix stuff or to make. The front of the frame is not painted just a greasy and oily mess. Needs new tires all around, mis-matched front tires, rears are cracked most likely originals. Got a engine manual for the Kohler it`s big fills a whole loose leaf note book. got some spare parts think the lift linkage for the rear hitch and a couple more pieces.

Wife took 3 picture I`ll add them after I post this. It does have the hyd. deck lift and it works fine, ran the mower deck no bad noises, need to fix it so it charges the battery. Motor runs good no smoke and starts right up. The Mickey Mouse muffler hanger has got to go, but it holds things together for now. Seat needs to be repaired, needs a air filter just has a cover over it now, a green one from the Deere donor motor.....I know loose it wrong color.

You can see a lot from the pictures, probably more then I have notice so if you guy`s feel like pick my 444 apart go a head, I`ll use the list of things you find wrong or need fixing. Oh yeah one thing I notice there seems to be a spacer between the axle flange and the rim about 4" or 5" is the normal you`d think they would bolt right up to the axle flange?

I`m happy with my Case, so did I do good for $350.00, Pete told my wife I think he likes it, as I drove it around his yard. I was grinning like a kid with a new toy, Hey this is what keep us old guys young, getting to play with all this cool stuff.

·
Banned
1,044 Posts
Good Job MowerMan! glad you found a good deal and the tractor you wanted. Welcome to the world of Case. :congrats:

·
HeadCase For My Ingersoll
1,359 Posts
$350 and you also have what sounds like a sleeve hitch? Who would pick that apart? Looking foreward to picks.

And Mower Man, I'm sure I can speak for anyone here that if we have something to say regarding your new acquisition, it will only be to help you along the road to restoring/refurbishing that 444 into a fine working machine.

·
2,132 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Ok here are the 3 pictures.

OK this one is of me and my new toy.....

I`ll get some better picture don`t why they came out like this, the photo`s are much better and the last one I can`t get to rotate and come out right. This will have to do for now I did promise you photos.

Please pick that will help me, I didn`t mean to put it down, so please help, so if you see some that not right tell me.

Thanks Ray

·
Banned
1,044 Posts
Looks solid from here.. Yep, you got a sleeve hitch and what looks like a free Ball to go with it. You did well, glad to hear a success story.

That is a smile of satisfaction your are wearing there Mowerman. Nice find...:thThumbsU

·
10,710 Posts
Looks good from here, Ray. Best of luck with it. Still looking for my deal, but its good to see someone else get one.

·
Registered
3,087 Posts
Looks good. :thThumbsU

I would lose the exhaust and come up with something else, also lose the wheel spacers and get an air cleaner on it.

Can you get us some pics of how the deck attaches to the tractor up front?

·
Registered
54 Posts
I can't offer much in advice on what to fix up because I'm new to Case tractors but I can say it looks like one heck of a tractor and a good deal. I was thinking about this earlier today and I'm glad that everything worked out for you and you got it home safely. Good luck with fixing it up.

·
1,359 Posts
Keep this in mind: If you have no intentions on ever using the sleeve hitch, it can always be sold to recoup a sizeable part of the purchase price.

I'll plead ignorance on the value of six lug wheel spacers.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Maybe I can add something, it looks like you're needing a headlight lens, from what I've read in old posts, there are glass and plastic headlight lenses, the plastic ones sometimes become discolored from the heat of the bulbs, so it would be better to look for the glass lenses if you can find them.

·
2,132 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Thanks Guy`s yeah the lights don`t work, I think the one thats left has a glass lens, I`ll check to make sure.
Yeah I got 2 air filter covers one green and the other is black, just need to get a air filter so I install the cover with the wing nut. The green one was the most handiest one.
So whats with the wheel spacers was there a reason they were installed?
I`ll have to ask more about that sleeve hitch and check out the part he gave me hope everything is there.
The Case needs a good power washing then I`ll take some better picture.
Where would I get new rear tires for the rear? they hold air but really look bad.
The charging problem is most likely the regulator, the amp meter just wiggles in the middle of it scale. He said he had to charge the battery up because it not getting charged while the motors running.
The motor has a coil so that means it has points then? it not the original motor but a 14hp out of a JD garden tractor I was told.
And it does say PK on the back of the seat back rest.
I got to get the serial # off of the plate that located on the low dash, I think?
How much does a tractor like that weight?
If it is a 1971 then that tractor is almost 40 years old, it is in pretty good shape for it`s age.
I`ll have to do a little work on it at a time, I was surprised that the steering wheel has no crack in it.

Pete the seller is a very nice guy he`s a collector, got a Ford 8N he just finished and he`s going to put that on craigslist someday, motor runs like a top. The Deere in the ad photo of the Case 444, is a 180 w/48" mower. I thanked him for being so patient with me because it took so long to pick it up. He and his wife are both good down to earth people. He said he got a lot of calls on the tractor but held it for me. Plus my deposit helped.
I told him about MTF and said stop by and look around there`s plenty to see here.

·
Banned
1,044 Posts
MowerMan, great job being an ambassador for MTF. You may have refferred a new member and that's great!
I can't answer your questions but I will touch on a few points. (pun intended)

The wheel spacers could be from a previous owner doing some type of cultivation with the sleeve hitch bearing some sort of attachment. That makes sense to me, My grandpa used to change his wheel spacing on his farmall to suit his culivation needs and row spacing. They could however, be placing a strain on the axle over time.

I certainly would not recommemd going all "monster truck" and putting dual wheels on the rear with those spacers on there. It would look totally badass.... wouldn't it??????.......but it might be bad on the health of your tractor.

Your 444 is definitely more tractor than the JD 180, the ford....you might want to buy that from him someday too. They are nice.

I'll step aside and let the other guys share their knowledge with you. I'll be watching your progress and wish you the best.

Always glad to see the good guys come out on top.:fing32:

·
1,359 Posts
If it says PK then it's a 1969... that's the only year for the 'Performance King' monniker. Cross-refrencing the serial number on the tag below the dash board will let you know for sure.

If the healight lens says "Speaker 777" then it's glass. They also have what I refer to as a "clam shell" in the middle of the lens for light refraction which the plastic lenses do not have.

I believe dry weight on later model Case 400's is right around 980lbs... without the deck.

I can't make any accurate assumptions why it's not charging since it has a non-original engine. What I can say is that in '69, Case stopped using starter/generators in favor or a stator and a "normal" starter. It was used for 1969 and in 1970 Case went back to the tried and true starter/gen until 1978, where they tried again at stators once more - and stayed with them until ending their affair with Kohler in the 90's. If you do in fact have the original engine and it is complete then it should have that setup.

·
2,132 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
The original engine isn't complete, lots of stuff missing like carb. starter, all the small things. I don`t know if it even turns over, spark plug is out and looks like it has been that way a long time, might just turn into a paper weight.

I figured it was heavy, I rolled it up to the front rail and strapped it down it rode ruff on the trip home, I should rolled it back but it looked like rain. and put a little more weight over the wheel on the trailer. Had to put a plywood floor on the trailer, the wire mesh had popped some welds. Use to use that trailer to haul my commercial mower around, thats what broke the weld, 1060 pound Z Master.

That makes sense about the spaces, being a city slicker, Had relatives that owned farms on both side of my family. Just remove them, just bolt the rims to the axle flanges.

I did get a spare starter he said it just needed a Bendix.

Looks like I get the day off, rained last night and everything is wet, and more rain today with thunder storms. So I`ll go and check out the Case some more. A 1969, I`m sure glad they didn't make these tractors out of fragile material.

I need to find some images of a 1969 Case 444 PK and that way I can see what needs to be fixed the right ways at least get back as close as I can.

Where can I fine a muffler for it, that one serves it`s purpose, but it needs to be changed. Or a list of suppliers if there are any?

·
1,359 Posts
The proper muffler for your 444 has been out of production for quite some time now. Good used units sell for $135-180 on eBay regularly.

·
2,132 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
On the extra motor the muffler is still attached but the muffler is shot rotted out, the pipe from the motor to the muffler looks solid maybe I can attach the pipe to the muffle that already there and get rid of the support structure that there now.

Going through the loose leaf note book I got with the tractor. The first section is a parts manual for the 220 222 224 & 444. It has drawing of every part of the tractors and the next page it has the part numbers. On page 84 it shows the sleeve hitch and the spare parts that were loose. I think everything I needed is there, only problem is I set them down and went to look at some Pete was showing me, so I got to call and ask him if he mail them to me or I`ll have to drive back up to get them. I`ll pay for postage, be cheaper then a tank of gas and a 4 hours round trip ride.

That part of the manual is dated January 1980, I noticed the starter is different then mine, so is it safe to use this parts manual as a reference, due to mine being a 1969 model? Also the mounting plate for the motor is different. The parts manual is 100 pages long.

The next manual is the Case Kohler engine model #K321A spec. 6029d and serial #7442312 is typed on that first page, page 12 is for the governor system, shows how to adjust it. He had said it may need adjusting.

The book contains the following manuals

Two speed trans axle

Hydraulic cylinder

Hydraulic pump

Hydraulic test procedures manual

Trouble shooting the hydraulic system

Hydraulic motor manual

Control valve

Steering and axle

Attachment drive clutch

Electrical system 644, 200 & 400 Tractors

Is there any manual I`m missing? I think I lucked out getting that book. I started to go through the MTF reference library, I don`t think I need to now?

·
Registered
54 Posts
Where can I fine a muffler for it, that one serves it`s purpose, but it needs to be changed. Or a list of suppliers if there are any?
Mower_Man, there was a really nice article a while back on this forum where somebody re-wrapped an old muffler with a new piece of sheet metal and it turned out really nice. They even posted up pictures of each step in the process, might want to check it out if you're handy with stuff like this.

·
Banned
1,500 Posts
Mower_Man, there was a really nice article a while back on this forum where somebody re-wrapped an old muffler with a new piece of sheet metal and it turned out really nice. They even posted up pictures of each step in the process, might want to check it out if you're handy with stuff like this.
Nice suggestion but unfortunately that process does not apply to the muffler in question here.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Nice suggestion but unfortunately that process does not apply to the muffler in question here.
I guess that shows how much I know, I figured they were all the same. Now if I'd ever find a 444 like I've been looking for I would've known better.:sorry1:

1 - 20 of 40 Posts