My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
115 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
well i have a 3 point now woo hoo but when i was takin the the blade and fram work than was on it for the blade what i thought was a crak is now a BRAKE!! so i guess i have a lot of work to do befor i can use th tractor agian ill post pix so yall can see my work and tractoris its current state

Attachments

·
Retired Aug.31 2007
7,473 Posts
That's not good. Looks like a lot of work.

·
Dan
3,954 Posts
I would just put Steel Plate there it more strong than that weld.

you could put steel plate then weld and put bolts to make sure it hold good.

I would say plate should be 12 gauge would be ok but it would be better. l l that what I would use but I am never good with gauge because I forgot. It could be 3/4"

·
The Magnificent
20,952 Posts
No worries about cracks from me. I have no skill in that department either.

I will say if I were welding a spot like that I'd have one of my competent friends check my welds.

·
Registered
1,890 Posts
I cleaned mine up painted and undercoated the fenders.

·
Registered
2,477 Posts
I cleaned mine up painted and undercoated the fenders.
seriously? You undercoated the fenders? Really?

I gotta know, for noise reduction? or is there a lot of salt on your lawn?

If you left rust , any rust under the undercoating, it is rusting away, you just can't see it.

·
Registered
2,477 Posts
Texan, if that were my machine I would add a plate as was suggested. Chances are if your welds are good, it will break next to your welds without a plate.

Your welds look fine to me btw

·
Registered
1,890 Posts
seriously? You undercoated the fenders? Really?

I gotta know, for noise reduction? or is there a lot of salt on your lawn?

If you left rust , any rust under the undercoating, it is rusting away, you just can't see it.
nope there was no uust, I just had a can of it laying around from an old truck I had used part of it, Some of us want to use our equipment AND have it look nice. Or at least nt ugly. BEings you asked, do you guys often have a problem with salt on your lawn up there in the pollution capitol.

actually stony I still have some left and some paint, you want me to send some up your way. :sidelaugh

·
Registered
2,477 Posts
the polution capitol is 2.5 hours south of me...... NYC.

Good, I'm glad you just had it lieing around. So many people think undercoating is a rust preventer, and it isn't. I'd hate to see you waste your hard earned cash and time.

No thanks on the undercoating.:eck16: I've seen way to many cars with it rot out before the same cars without it didn't. Moisture gets under that stuff and rust forms baddly.

·
15,000 +posts!
20,424 Posts
I'd definately plate it,cover that entire "hole",on BOTH sides,before it breaks on the other side too!-it's evident that open hole is where the frame has flexed over the years enough to bust it in two..1/4" plate is what I'd use,or maybe 3/16" diamond plate steelyour welds look good,no worse than mine are,and everything I welded so far is stll in one peice!....

·
Registered
1,890 Posts
the polution capitol is 2.5 hours south of me...... NYC.

Good, I'm glad you just had it lieing around. So many people think undercoating is a rust preventer, and it isn't. I'd hate to see you waste your hard earned cash and time.

No thanks on the undercoating.:eck16: I've seen way to many cars with it rot out before the same cars without it didn't. Moisture gets under that stuff and rust forms baddly.
so on cars what your saying is that you should prep it and paint it first if you are using it as a noise barrier. actually I never knew it was for salt I always hear noise. and I just dont like my fender wells showing the color. BTW you guys, I am heading over to this huge tractor collectors house today. I will take pice to show you all his stuff, I have told him about MTF but I have not ever seen or heard of him on here. he is a great supplier of used parts, I think he helped out OLDMTDs

·
Registered
165 Posts
I had the same problem with one of my 990's and welded the crack but as the other guys suggested I also welded in a piece of plate to make it stronger. That should keep it from ever crackin' again.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts