My Tractor Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Central Kentucky
1,247 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I went out to check on the 2320 tractor and my Toyota Sequoia today. The temperature was 15 degrees Fahrenheit. Both batteries checked OK using a smart charger that displays the state of charge. The tractor battery showed 96% and the Sequoia showed 94%.

Both batteries have removable vent covers so I decided to check the battery electrolyte level. I was surprised to see the electrolyte in my tractor battery was frozen! I rechecked the battery voltage and it showed 12.8 volts. Then I connected the charger and put it on trickle charge and after 15 minutes it showed fully charged. The battery in the Sequoia showed 12.3 volts and that water was not frozen.

Anybody ever see a battery freeze? Any ideas what went wrong?

i

·
Registered
1,051 Posts
When a battery is fully charged the water and acid are mixed and as the battery discharges the acid is absorbed in the plates of the battery which in turn leaves mainly water in the battery and as you charge it the water and acid once again mix

·
Central Kentucky
1,247 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
The battery was showing a full charge, and after thawing out it still is! I even used a hydrometer on it and it showed a fully charged battery. Wonder if the electrolyte settled some with the acid going to the bottom and water raising to the top?

·
Banned
4,069 Posts
I went out to check on the 2320 tractor and my Toyota Sequoia today. The temperature was 15 degrees Fahrenheit. Both batteries checked OK using a smart charger that displays the state of charge. The tractor battery showed 96% and the Sequoia showed 94%.

Both batteries have removable vent covers so I decided to check the battery electrolyte level. I was surprised to see the electrolyte in my tractor battery was frozen! I rechecked the battery voltage and it showed 12.8 volts. Then I connected the charger and put it on trickle charge and after 15 minutes it showed fully charged. The battery in the Sequoia showed 12.3 volts and that water was not frozen.

i
:dunno:Never checked, around here when it gets that cold we just start them up, if dead we just jump and worry about it later :D

·
Registered
157 Posts
The battery was showing a full charge, and after thawing out it still is! I even used a hydrometer on it and it showed a fully charged battery. Wonder if the electrolyte settled some with the acid going to the bottom and water raising to the top?
If a lead-acid battery is left to sit and not used for a period of time, the electolyte can stratify. This is likely what happened to your battery... a layer of lower concentration acid... mostly water... on the top froze.

·
Just passing through
8,414 Posts

i
BATTERY CAPACITY TESTS

The battery must be able to maintain voltage during the cranking operation. Just taking a voltage reading from a battery not in use does not tell much. A nearly dead battery can show full voltage (12.6 volts D.C) when no load is connected. The true test of capacity is the ability to maintain voltage while under load.

A simple battery test can be made by connecting a voltmeter across the battery while the battery is still on the equipment. The no-load reading should be 12.6 volts. Observe the voltmeter and crank the engine. Crank until the voltmeter drops to a steady hold position.

Caution: Do not crank longer than 15 seconds! The voltmeter reading should be above 9.5 volts. If the engine cranked at a good normal speed and if the voltage remained above 9.5 volts, the battery is satisfactory. Failure to pass this test could be caused by excessive starter draw. Check the battery by using the carbon pile method.

CARBON PILE TEST

A carbon pile is a variable load device. Connect the carbon pile in series with an ammeter. The ammeter will indicate the amount of load being placed on the battery by the carbon pile. Connect a voltmeter across the battery to measure the battery voltage. Adjust the carbon pile to three times the ampere-hour rating of the battery for 15 seconds and observe the voltmeter reading. Do not leave the load on the battery for more than 15 seconds because the battery will be quickly discharged. If the battery reading does not drop below 9.5 volts, the battery will provide dependable performance. If the battery drops below 9.0 volts, it is either defective or is not fully charged. Retest with a hydrometer, and recharge the battery if necessary. If a fully charged battery does not pass the test, it is defective and must be replaced.

·
Central Kentucky
1,247 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Yes, the tractor started just fine. I was hoping if I drove it around a bit the electrolyte would bounce around a bit and maybe melt the frozen part. The battery electrolyte was still frozen so I removed it and it is now sitting on top of a heater vent in the utility room. My wife wanted to know what "that thing" was doing in her utility room. I told her I was charging up her washing machine. :dunno:

·
Registered
4,737 Posts
cold kills more batteries than warm does

only if the battery is not fully charged before you start storing it....

keeping it cold slows down the parasitic self discharge, which is then responsible for damage to the battery...

cheers!

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.