My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My Ariens cam shaft broke last year, a friend gave me her old Craftsman 6.0 mower. So tonight I took off the Craftsman engine then put it on my Ariens deck. It all went on and off great all I need to do is get a smaller blade. I think my ariens was a 20 or 21 inch. I could not get the self propel back on the 6.0 hp since the cranks are different. I got a much better deck than the crapman.
[/IMG]
[/IMG]

[/IMG]
[/IMG]
[/IMG]

·
Registered
283 Posts
I hope you are more pleased with your frankenmower Ariens than I was. I picked up an Ariens with a bad engine last winter and repowered it with a monster OHV Briggs off of a junk Husqvarna. I also had to use a different blade, though mine was a push model in the first place. I was so stoked because I figured it was going to be an awesome mulcher. Well, it wasn't anything special (might have been the nonstandard blade?), and at 87 pounds, the thing was a PIG to push around tight spaces. I sold it before the third week of mowing season.

Hope you have a better experience.

·
Registered
506 Posts
Those old Ariens' are good mowers, and certainly worth re-powering.

·
Registered
3,782 Posts
luv your avitar photo dave-i had that exact same truck. one of my fav trucks that i have owned. i also just got an ariens with a worn tech endine and its bbc! i will be repowering it this winter for shure

·
Lawn Mower Fan
681 Posts
I was going to ask about that self propelled setup. Does it run off a belt under the deck? Looks like something would have to drive that top-mounted transmission back there.

·
The Sea of Green Machines
4,787 Posts
Nice work and collection!

·
Registered
192 Posts
Does anyone here know the correct orange touch up paint for my 1987 Mastercraft Lawnmower ? Is Ariens orange close ?
see pics

Attachments

·
Registered
3,782 Posts
i have done 2 ariens transplants and was able to make the self propel work on both. you can use a snapper pully and blade abaptor amd it will work with the ariens blade. the other i pulled the adaptor/ pully from the old ariens engine and fitted it to the new. -easy. some ariens used a splined shaft and blade adaptor-no hope here. lucky none of my fleet has this setup. these are underappreciated mowers in my book. and fall is comming soon and my fleet will go to work for leaf duty

1 - 17 of 17 Posts