My Tractor Forum banner
  • Are you passionate about Tractors? Would you like to write about topics that interest you and get paid for it? Read all about it here!
1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Since I am into this tractor past the point of fix and go I decided to do a restore and combine threads .

http://www.mytractorforum.com/showthread.php?t=220253

http://www.mytractorforum.com/showthread.php?t=220818
Here is the new front axle being built.

This is after bending spindles and welding parts together.

I made a jig on the table to hold things while I bent them ...It worked!

Here is after the axle was cut out for pivot clearance.

Here is the finished axle without steering, $150.00 and a ishload of my time!

Here it a look down the side with new axle installed 43 inches wide in the rear 44 wide in the front.

This is just to compare the old and new spindles.

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
I thought I would have to get larger tires for the front . After axle was installed the original size tires are a perfect match . The body line of the hood is perfectly level with everything on the ground. Next will be steering arms, spindle gussets and upgrading the rods to 5/8 like Blacksmithmans. (thanks for the stolen idea! ) As soon as I get new tires I will be starting to mount the fel.
Tom

·
Blacksmith
836 Posts
I like the grease cap on the axle support. It finishes off the axles much better than the nut I have on mine. Now I want the same thing on mine. I hope I can still machine it out. A very good idea. It helps with keeping the grease inside and also keeping it clean. On the pivet in the center I installed a bronze bearing instead of having steel against steel. Is your center section a solid piece of steel? You do good work in both design and manufacture.

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks to all for the kind words...
Dayton king , I am a import to Illinois from Scottsdale AZ. I think the air in your climate is to dry!
Blacksmithman, I have a bearing and hardened race to go in it . I just drilled and reamed a 3/4 hole for now . I am spending to much time at the bridgeport ! Winter will be gone before I get the fel mounted. If you would PM me about your foot control. My fel controls are right hand mounted and I need to copy it.
Mike.ASC , if you click on the second link at the top of the thread it will tell you about the tires. I think they are going to work well . The rubber is soft and grippy and filled with calcium water mix they weigh in at 150.5 lbs each.
Tom

·
Registered
681 Posts
my set up for foot control return to neutral on my 76 990
should be pic of foot control and spring set up on direction control rod
use comp springs on each side

Attachments

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
bernard , your set up looks like it works well . If u could change anything now , what would it be?

I had a little time today to diddle the 990 . Here are some steering arms rough cut and bent.

I also took some measurements for the fel hydro tank It is L shaped and fits under the seat with the toolbox removed. With my math It will easily hold 3.5 gallons, more oil than I feel is needed.

·
Registered
681 Posts
I had made several attempts at this and found that 2 compression springs worked well,you just have to get them set up to center with little compression on the spring.When you use the brake you compress the one spring and the other one is lose.It works pretty well.
Looking at a tank from Northern 9x9x9 2.8 gal .
Think will mount it back of seat,but now have to change bat location ,have a full size bat mounted there now ,looks like will have to get a smaller bat and put under hood on top of the spool valve for the blade angel set up.
Never though about under the seat.
Do you know which JD axel they use to beaf up this tractor, have the standard ones 3/4 in may look into changing it.

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 · (Edited)
Hello all ,
Been a while since I updated . Here are some progress pics.
Here is the old and new axles .

Left view installed.

Center view outside.

Right view outside

Left view outside.

Love the tires ! Steering is much easier than stock .

·
Registered
486 Posts
Looks great , Cant wait to see the woods loader you have.

Edit ...Duh . Just looked at your other link. You should be happy with that loader, It works great on my 855 .

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Bernard,
No progress to speak of on the tank . Will be making tank , mounting pump and making mounts for the fel now that the axle is about ready. I am still going to do spindle and steering gussets just because. This is just the project I was looking for! More pics to come.
Tom

·
Registered
681 Posts
looking at a tank from northern 2.8 gal 9x9x9 or 4.8 gal 15x9x8 ???????thinking about mounting it back of seat where tool tray was ,have the bat there now ,have a spool valve for plow angel mounted in that area may try and put smaller bat over it .My loader is built now to install a pump and tank after i get my engine back from the repair shop had a knock in it so getting it repaired.

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Been busy , took a new job after 15 years at the old one. Was out looking in junkyard for steel to build a hydro tank and found this electric box. It is perfect for the tank and will hold 3.75 gallons. Am going to build a screw on filter into the tank and run steel lines to the pump. It is a little extra work but will look clean when finished.

1 - 20 of 40 Posts