My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I wanted to start a post to go through this build. The original reason I bought this tractor is because a friend and I go to the South Haven MI tractor show every year. Last year we decided we are going to turn it in to a guys weekend. We took his camper down and camped way out because we came in late and all the good spots were taken. After walking 3 sets of blisters off we decided we would have tractors to drive around for this year. I have a small hobby farm and wanted something that would be useful. I decided I wanted a Farm King. 2 of them came up on an online auction by me and I bought both for $250. 1 looked pretty good and 1 not so good. The better of the 2 had a blown engine and the other had everything disconnected. So the first order of business was to get the engine running on the parts tractor. Luckily it fired right up and we swapped it over to the other tractor. After about an hour we we're riding it around the yard. We decided that what ever we took had to have an over kill stack. So I mounted a 5" chrome turn out off a semi to my farm King. I love the way the cast iron 16hp Briggs sounds through that stack. LOL. We went to the show, rode around and had a blast. So I decided I wanted to make some upgrades. I am swapping the rear to 1 1/8th" Wheel Horse 5 lug hubs, and I have 12x10.5 rims and 26x12x12 R4 tires for the back. I plan to repaint it this winter and do some other minor upgrades. I am adding some pics so you can see what I am working with. The tractor I am building is a 1980.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
2,058 Posts
Keep us posted. We all like seeing and following your progress.
Glad to help if you need it.

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I am not sure if you can see how I got the hubs off. They would not budge, so I used the torch to skim the top of the hub off over the key. Didn't even hurt the keys. The Wheelhorse hubs slide right on.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
2,058 Posts
Nicely done. Sometimes drastic measures are needed.

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks VT. I plan to do a little write up on the hub swap. I found a lot of posts that recommend it, but none that said how to do it. Having both kinds of hubs I had lots of questions and few answers. I figure the least I can do is pass on what I learned.

·
Registered
28 Posts
I was just pondering whether to start this on my 990s/999; I just ordered some 7.60 x 15 tires and I'm going to try and make the stock wheels work for now, but it's good to know this is possible. The biggest challenge I have is just sheer availability of Wheelhorse parts; I looked on Ebay and it looks like there's a few for 1 & 1/8" axles but absolutely nothing available locally to me.

What ply are the R4 tires you're going to mount, and do you see any issues with the skid steer size being not compliant enough? I have done a bit of street/strip drag racing and with any radial on a prepped track I had to air way down to get good traction, but by that same contrast bias-ply drag tires were squirrely... Not sure what it's like to be doing this on dirt but you obviously don't want tire rotation on the bead or to slip a bead etc. either!

·
Premium Member
2,058 Posts
I am thinking you won't have to worry about the tires slipping on the rim bead. There is never enough traction for that to happen with these small tractors. I have skid steer tires, weights and chains on the tiller tractor. Tire pressure is about 20 lbs.
For many years I loaded the tires with anti-freeze. The front would lift off the ground when using a disc or bottom plow. Had to hang a cement block on the front so I could steer. It just digs holes when traction breaks.

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I will upload the video of me pulling the sled at the tractor show tomorrow when I get to work.

·
Rebuilding my First JD GT
3,309 Posts
Sounds good.

1 - 20 of 36 Posts