My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 20 of 266 Posts

·
Super Moderator
32,048 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Boy, for some reason it feels like Ive already done this...

Well here we go. This is my early 8N. Number shows it to be a 1947. I got it about two years ago, and realy had not used it much. it was a smoker from the day it was brought home, but the story was that the motor had been rebuilt a year or so ago, and just never broken in. Well the smoking never improved. After picking up a brushcutter this winter, and testing it out, the motor went from smoking, to popping antifreeze out the cap, to sounding like it was full of ball bearings. NOT a good thing. Well, in the garage, and the tear down begans.......

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
32,048 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Argee said:
Is that going back in or coming out?

Well lets put it this way. If you look in my garage, you would have NO idea what kinda tractor is torn down in there. Not much left to ID it.

some times I look out and say "OMG can I get it back together??? :bonk: :bonk:

·
Ratchet Jaw old Member
10,400 Posts
WoW , Ingersoll444,
When you get the N back together and running you will know all there is to know about it. Its fun ,, and interresting .

·
Super Moderator
32,048 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
drbailey said:
WoW , Ingersoll444,
When you get the N back together and running you will know all there is to know about it. Its fun ,, and interresting .
You know, I have read all the forums, and the manual, and some stuff has seemed kinda scary. Like "Wow they make it seem easy, but I have NO idea what they are talking about" But you know, now that its apart, and I have seen, and put my hands on it, it all makes sence. They did a heck of a job on these tractors. Its no wonder they are still so popler, and so many of them.

·
Registered
3,037 Posts
Paul, there is something to be said about tearing down something broken and repairing and put back together that gives a satisfaction that is hard to beat... Keep up the good work and I will send you some other things that I need fixed :fing33:

·
Super Moderator
32,048 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Well here is how she stands. Not a lot left to the old girl. Been pretty much stalled the last week or so. Got the crank turned down, and the head given a quick skim to flatten it. The head was pretty bad realy. I will have to test fit it when the motor goes back together. But I guess the little it cost for the skim, is an OK gambl. I would realy rather not have to get a new one.

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
32,048 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
This is the main shaft in the pump/lift part of the tractor. It looks like it had been welded. Is this normal on the N's, or a past repair? Looks like a good weld, so I am not worryed, just wondering.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
1,559 Posts
looks like your doing a good job paul. that shaft breakage is fairly common around here usually about the time the mower hits the ground its done. especially if the dirts a little wet

·
Super Moderator
32,048 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
I finly found something to press them out. A tool used to pull front wheel bearings on a front wheel drive car. One adapter fit PERFECT.

I also got the crank, and head back from the shop. Crank was not as bad as I thought. They went .010 under on the mains, and .020 on the rods. So things are moving at least. Now I have to get the block cleaned

·
Retired Super Moderator
5,460 Posts
Thats great Paul I'm glad you are working on it. I was hope you used the butter knife trick on it for the sleeves. But at least you got them out. :trink40:

1 - 20 of 266 Posts