My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Machinery enthusiast
4,257 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
As some know, I've had my 876 alittle over 3 yrs now and after some much needed TLC when I 1st got her, she's been a very good reliable specialized sicklebar mower for me. She's almost retired that evil weed eater but thats another story :D
She's actually been working out quite well and needs no pre - or - post flight wrenching to do her specialized job per se. She keeps the long front bank and the edges of the pond well manicured as her weekly to bi weekly chore so why am I mess'n with her? You know, as in fix'n her when she ain't broke? Well, I have no excuse other than I must not have no better sense :D
I've done a few mods to her, over and above OEM thats worked out well (spring seat, later model quieter muffler) and another that works great but is an excessive drain on the electrics (12v ATV winch) so she's no stranger to my wild wims :D
So with all that said, the ciphering's been done, the parts are ordered (hopefully all those little necessary "gotcha's" are covered) and in the next couple weeks she'll be taken down and either improved or destroyed :Stop:.
Any and all input is fine, stay tuned :D
Dave

·
Banned
2,286 Posts
I cant wait to see what you come up with next.

·
16,525 Posts
Waiting here, also...

glenn

·
Registered
1,344 Posts
Dave, when should we start the drum roll? Could it be those hydraulics you've mentioned before? Anxiously waiting.

·
Machinery enthusiast
4,257 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Wouldn't you know it. I announce a new mod for one of my 'horses and I get all busy with everything but that.
Heres an update to the mod.
And yes, to answer Chris' question I'm adding aux hydraulics to the 876. Specifically I'm adding the HY-6 hydraulic lift kit plus a few mods to it
The HY-6 lift kit replaces the manual lift bar, dial-a-height and mid lift rockshaft with a hydraulic piston, valve and special rockshaft. It was a dealer bolt-on factory supplied kit that appears to be an easy value add-on for them.
Theres a few additional pieces included w/the kit including two VERY important hard to find pieces, a small spring and cone check valve. These two parts are necessary to increase the internal working pressure of the hydraulic pump inorder to work the HY-6. And it's those 2 teeny tiney parts thats held me up until now. According to the HY-6 installation pdf the kit no-workie without those two parts and the instructions also contain a little note that basically says if the hydraulics are ever removed those two parts also needed to be removed.
Also to expand on this, I'm really trying to be brief :D , this kit only raises and lowers the mid rockshaft and rear slot hitch, just like the bar did. This is great but unfortunately the lift cylinder takes the space that my ATV winch now occupies and theres no other "easy" place to put it so I need to add another cylinder to raise and lower the bar. Sounds easy enough except the HY-6's valve only controls one cylinder. So I need a dual spool valve. I've got a JD 317 series dual spool valve and levers but I was dreading the extensive mods I'll have to do to incorporate it into the limited space of the short frame876.
Enter a solution by this MTF/RS member that I'm getting the kit from (I'll let him claim his fame if it works :D ) came up with the idea of using a dual spool WH DXXX series valve. Good idea as it should take the same connections as the OEM single spool valve and it's an OEM Wh part, a win/win I hope :D
So while I await the arrival of the kit and dual spool valve I thought I post some pics of the start.
Pic 1 shows the parts I have already in my stash.
Pic 2 shows the area where I'm going to mount a cylinder to raise/lower the SBM's bar. (you can see the wire from the winch) Tight ain't it :D
Pic 3 the cardboard templates and the 1/4" steel plate cylinder brackets I made up. I've still got to mark & drill holes to where they'll mount on the SBM's frame.
Pic 4 a mockup of how the cylinder will mount to the brackets. I'm going to try a 5/8ths bar because thats what I have but will go to a 3/4" should it not be stout enough.
So that where I'm at, again any and all input is welcomed.
Dave

Attachments

·
Registered
202 Posts
Theres a few additional pieces included w/the kit including two VERY important hard to find pieces, a small spring and cone check valve. These two parts are necessary to increase the internal working pressure of the hydraulic pump inorder to work the HY-6. And it's those 2 teeny tiney parts thats held me up until now. According to the HY-6 installation pdf the kit no-workie without those two parts and the instructions also contain a little note that basically says if the hydraulics are ever removed those two parts also needed to be removed.
Sounds like a very cool project. This little bit of info is apparently too late for you, but for anyone else considering the same.....Those two little "hard to find" pieces are still available new for about $11.

I just got these last fall... the Sundstrand part numbers are: 3102027 - spring and 3100053 - cone. I ordered them from a local hydraulic shop so I could add a lift kit to my Charger 9.

·
Registered
1,344 Posts
Dave / Jason, pray tell where this cone and spring mounts to the Sundstrand hydro? Since my 1077 came with the hydro lift, I would assume it has these parts, but maybe I should check.

Dave, good luck with your mod. Can't wait to see the finished product.

·
Machinery enthusiast
4,257 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Great info Jason. I have that same pdf :D and yes, I coulda used thai nfo a couple weeks ago but then again, I needed some other hrdwr so no harm no foul. There are others that can definitely use that info I'm sure....
Any "gotchas" you need to share from your install? :D

Chris, I believe you can rest assured since since the lift works. According to my research it will no-workie without them :D

Update, recieved the other eqt today. I've got to work the 876 one more time this weekend before I put her on the jack stands and operate. :D

·
16,525 Posts
Chris, they go in this valve on the front of the hydro pump.

Jason--what is in the recess, when you pull the cap off--if not the cone and spring? And those must be Sundstran numbers?

Thankls for any more info--

glenn

·
Machinery enthusiast
4,257 Posts
I finally got some wrench time on the 876 after I took her out and worked her. It's a good thing I worked her out as it reenforced my resolve to continue to keep this tractor servicable. She's 34 yrs old and worth every drop of sweat and dough I'm putting in her :D
Glenn, I installed the cone and spring and it went just like the above pdf shows.
When I unscrewed the cap there was nothing in the hole. Due to the area it's located in I couldn't get a good look inside but from what I could see there was nothing in there. Also had there been something in there the cone and spring wouldn't have went in so easy. My guess is it's just a passageway in the high pressure output of the pump and the cone and spring must function as a pressure regulator that acts to increase the pressure. I had to unbolt the side plate inorder to move it enough to get a 5/8ths wrench on the cap. Again, the pdf is right on, I'm following it closely :D
I got the winch removed with all it's associated wireing. I had bolted it on pretty well, seems I intended it to be a permanent mount :D
Also removed the foot pedal assembly, lift bar & rockshaft assembly and put her on jack stands so I can wrench her alittle easier (thats for my knees and back :D )
Seems the kit arrived sans the hydro rockshaft (which is on the way) so I just mocked up the single cylinder valve and piston just to get a "feel" for how the rest of the mod will fit. Once i get the rockshaft in I can start bolting everything up.
Also while I'm awaiting the rockshaft I'll need to get the bar lift piston assembly marked, drilled and bolted up and make up a bracket for the dual valve. Also going to have to make up some levers and I got some ideas cook'n on them too :D
Some before and mock up pics.

I went out with one of those in college (winch, I think)....couldn't remember the next a.m...........:Stop:
Anyway--nice project going on!!

glenn

Attachments

·
16,525 Posts
I finally got some wrench time on the 876 after I took her out and worked her. It's a good thing I worked her out as it reenforced my resolve to continue to keep this tractor servicable. She's 34 yrs old and worth every drop of sweat and dough I'm putting in her :D
Glenn, I installed the cone and spring and it went just like the above pdf shows.
When I unscrewed the cap there was nothing in the hole. Due to the area it's located in I couldn't get a good look inside but from what I could see there was nothing in there. Also had there been something in there the cone and spring wouldn't have went in so easy. My guess is it's just a passageway in the high pressure output of the pump and the cone and spring must function as a pressure regulator that acts to increase the pressure. I had to unbolt the side plate inorder to move it enough to get a 5/8ths wrench on the cap. Again, the pdf is right on, I'm following it closely :D
I got the winch removed with all it's associated wireing. I had bolted it on pretty well, seems I intended it to be a permanent mount :D
Also removed the foot pedal assembly, lift bar & rockshaft assembly and put her on jack stands so I can wrench her alittle easier (thats for my knees and back :D )
Seems the kit arrived sans the hydro rockshaft (which is on the way) so I just mocked up the single cylinder valve and piston just to get a "feel" for how the rest of the mod will fit. Once i get the rockshaft in I can start bolting everything up.
Also while I'm awaiting the rockshaft I'll need to get the bar lift piston assembly marked, drilled and bolted up and make up a bracket for the dual valve. Also going to have to make up some levers and I got some ideas cook'n on them too :D
Some before and mock up pics.

I went out with one of those in college (winch, I think)....couldn't remember the next a.m...........:Stop:
Anyway--nice project going on!! Keep up the progress!!

glenn

·
Machinery enthusiast
4,257 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Glenn, winch, wench whatever, you know what I mean, besides, this winch would probably too hard for you to handle :D :D

Made alittle more progress this evening. I just love those little package surprises awaiting me when I get home from a long day. In this case the hydro jack shaft arrived. It was in pretty rusty shape but since I'm wanting to get a working mockup asap, I just put a wire wheel to it to knock off the rust, put alittle grease on the contact surfaces and slapped her in. It went in a whole lot easier than the manual jackshaft came out, let me tell ya :D. So with it installed I could start bolting up the rest of the mod.
That D series valve is pretty wide, over double the width of the OEM single spool. I cut a & drilled a piece of 3/16's plate to make up the mounting bracket. I bolted it to the OEM bracket then bolted it to the frame. It stuck out so much that it interfered w/my left leg which was unexeptable. I likes to enjoy my seat time and a contorted leg don't figure in to that plan so I flipped the OEM bracket around which raised the whole assembly nearly 2" which is just enough to give the leg some clearance. It should do like that. If it does prove to cause a problem I'll have to raise it some more which will require a more sophisticated bracket (bend uout then up), and since there is some slack in the lines, it can be moved if needed. Pic 1 shows the mounting bracket.
Pic 2 is a little better shot of the dual spool valve setup w/most of the parts bolted back up.
Pic 3 is an underneath view of the bar lift ram brackets. It looks stout enough but the proof will be in the pudding, so to speak :D
Pic 4 is another shot of the bar lift cylinder from the other side. I haven't decided on what spot on the bar I'll attach the cylinder rod end to just yet. I've got a bracket made up and ready to mount but will wait until I see just how much throw that cylinder actually has. Since I mow at an approx 45 degree up angle as well as up to a 20 -30 degree down angle around the pond, I figure I'll be using some chain to allow for some slack too.
I would have fired it up tonight but ran into a situation with the lines and adapters. The 2 cylinders fittings and the fittings on the valve that controls them takes #5 fittings and I've got that covered.
The feed in and return fittings on the valve are #6 and the connections on the HST are #5 and unfortunately the two lines I have to attach to the #6female valve fittings are a #6 female end and a #5 male end so I'm going to have to find a local hydraulic shop and pickup a couple adapters or have them make up a couple custom lines. Also still need to address the levers. It's getting closer tho.

Attachments

·
Machinery enthusiast
4,257 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
It's ALIVE ! :D
Other than some levers (working on it) and a stop for the frame lift she's GTG.
The std OEM lift assembly bolted right up w/no problems. The bar lift cylinder w/it's 4" throw "just" made it. 5" would have been perfect, but by trial & error and 7 links of chain I found the sweet spot. The chain also gives it the ability to follow the terrain without stressing the cylinder. Even more amazing was she worked right off the bat w/no leaks, thats a 1st for me :D
Perhaps she'll get sanded & painted, well maybe just pressure washed for now as shes a working tractor, the painting will be another thread another day :D
Wonder if any of these decal reproducers have/can make up a new console and dash decal?
Thanks to refracman for the parts, pdf and insight.
Dave

·
Registered
1,344 Posts
It's ALIVE ! :D
Other than some levers (working on it) and a stop for the frame lift she's GTG.
The std OEM lift assembly bolted right up w/no problems. The bar lift cylinder w/it's 4" throw "just" made it. 5" would have been perfect, but by trial & error and 7 links of chain I found the sweet spot. The chain also gives it the ability to follow the terrain without stressing the cylinder. Even more amazing was she worked right off the bat w/no leaks, thats a 1st for me :D
Perhaps she'll get sanded & painted, well maybe just pressure washed for now as shes a working tractor, the painting will be another thread another day :D
Wonder if any of these decal reproducers have/can make up a new console and dash decal?
Thanks to refracman for the parts, pdf and insight.
Dave
Dave, just catching up with your updates. Super nice job with those mod's. I believe you now have a one-of-a-kind 876 or even Wheel Horse. Doubt there's many or any dual circuit non-D series WH's out there. Maybe insert some QC's into one of the circuits for optional additional hydraulic goodies. Yeah, it's not my cash, but I'll help you spend it. :D

As for the decals, the redoyourhorse site had the dash and "shift lever" panel decals for my 1077. Don't know if yours would be the same, but worth checking out.

·
Registered
339 Posts
Looking good Dave. Im glad everything is working out for you. I like the hyd. lift setup for the sickle, that'll make life easier for sure :trink40:
If I ever get mine mounted up I might be useing your idea.

·
16,525 Posts
Looking good Dave. Im glad everything is working out for you. I like the hyd. lift setup for the sickle, that'll make life easier for sure :trink40:
If I ever get mine mounted up I might be useing your idea.
Ah-Ha!! (The Hyd. set-up) So that's who got it!!!:congrats:

glenn

·
Machinery enthusiast
4,257 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Thought I'd post a few last pics and a video of the finished product. I was all set to make up some levers out of some 1/2" stock I had in my stash when a set of levers for a Bolens valve came up for auction. Well, they were cheap and with a well placed hole and a couple #5 1/4" bolts they ended up working out fine. Also had to get a new line made up as the longest one in the circuit, on the bar cylinder decided to leak at the swivel just as I was about to call it done. Good news is NAPA was able to make one up in no tme, bad news is they are mighty proud of this fine service! But at this point necessity trumped bargain shopping :D
A few pics of the valve and hose routing should anyone else attempt such an undertakeing. I'm also including a link to a video of the setup in operation. Unfortunately theres no sound so you can't hear how nice that late model muffler sounds.
One other thing, there is a noticable increase in load on the engine as well as more power out of the hydro unit. Ironically the HST seems to be more smoother in operation and not as jerky.
Oh and don't mind the old phart in the video, I tried to get a pretty gal in the video but the Mrs wouldn't do it and she wouldn't let me find another :D :D
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hRqXmCa7UAg

Attachments

·
16,525 Posts
Nice video-Dave,,, and I'm glad after all yoour decision-making..
.You got what you needed and she's a-working!:thThumbsU

Hyd. stuff has gotten way more expensive, at least to me, in the last few years--but when you need it--you need it--no substitutes!!

Show some pictures in action....

.........and I wonder what people think when they go down the road and see an old phart, like you said--outside on an older tractor, working it...

Wonder if they aren't just a little jealous????:Stop:

glenn

1 - 20 of 30 Posts