My Tractor Forum banner
1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Lawn-Boy fan
1,566 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I picked up a 6431 a few weeks ago and finally decided to work on it. Something was grinding when it ran, and the top part of the handle was incorrect. The bail didn't close properly so I decided to go from compliance to not.

I dug into the mower, pulled off the top part of the handle and the carburetor. I put on a carb that I had bought on ebay (a walbro with control and on off switch). I had to sawzall off the bolts that hold the bottom handle in place on the brackets, replaced with carriage bolts and nuts.

The coil was not mounted down at all! That is what the grinding was, and I can't believe this mower ran that way. Flywheel was missing a fin, and the cooling shroud was busted. I replaced the coil, flywheel, and cooling shroud.

So at this point it is mechanically sound, next are cosmetics. I'll post more pictures when I get further on it. The deck has been welded but I don't care, this will end up being the mower that gets used on a regular basis. Pics follow.

Attachments

·
Lawn-Boy fan
1,566 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
More pictures. I bought new white steel wheels for it, and I plan to paint the chrome part of the handle, the shroud, and touch up the deck. New blade and I'm ready to go. The flywheel brake has been completely removed, now I have the convenient on off switch at the handle.

Attachments

·
Registered
2,164 Posts
"The deck has been welded but I don't care, this will end up being the mower that gets used on a regular basis."

Is that on the discharge chute? That is the only place that looks like a possible weld in the pictures. I would just grind the surface down smooth, paint it and make it look as new as possible. Classic machine and nice job restoring the mechanicial side.:thThumbsU

·
Registered
1,897 Posts
Anyone who would sell that machine is definitely not right in the head. Nice find!

-Dave

·
Lawn-Boy fan
1,566 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
All done. The handle and shroud got repainted black. I didn't completely strip the deck, I just wire brushed it and painted it grabber green. It is baking in the sun as we speak. I didn't want to make this mower perfect because I plan to use this one on a regular basis.

The wheels are just "Arnold" brand replacement steel wheels. No grease fitting but they still roll very easily. I think all 4 at Menard's cost me $14 or $15. I wasn't going to buy new lb comm wheels since again, I'm going to be using this one (and couldn't justify $100+ for new wheels).

I'm not sure what mower the throttle assembly / carb came from, but I scored it on ebay for $8.88. This mower had a walbro on it already, so this was a direct replacement... and the walbro has excellent throttle response.

Ignition coil came off an 8241 (electric start only clumsy-handle self propel), top handle came from a 7229 or the like. I sanded it before I painted it, had to drill holes for the throttle box.

I think that is about it. Below are some pictures.

Attachments

·
2-stroke exhaust junkie!!
442 Posts
That looks great. Nice job. I like the white grip on black handles too.

·
Registered
2,420 Posts
Almost too clean to mow with.

·
Registered
345 Posts
Cooooooooooool!

·
LAWN-BOY-AHOLIC
1,349 Posts
Nice daily driver you have there! Keep up the good work, there are so many LB's that need us!

·
Administrator
21,927 Posts
Nice, Bob. I think that you've got a good machine there for your planned usage. She turned out well!

·
Lawnboy Green
633 Posts
WOW Bob that one came out nice. I like the black handle too.

Best wishes,
Bob

·
Registered
972 Posts
That's a nice one for a daily driver for sure. Love the handle too.

·
Lawn-Boy fan
1,566 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Thanks guys... I'll be mowing with it tomorrow. We'll see how it does.

·
Registered
972 Posts
Who you kiddin'? You know it's gonna mow like a dream...what's stopping you from mowing today? Rain or snow???

1 - 20 of 31 Posts