My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Professional amateur!
1,003 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
i brought home a John Deere 112L. I've never seen one before. I have an older 112 from '71 but this one is from the 80's. it has a 12.5hp kawasaki, electric pto and its hydrostatic. appears to have the same 38" deck as the '71 112. if i can get it running, it should beat the **** out of the '71 112 for mowing. i'd love to have a hydro for mowing and not have to deal with shifting gears all the time.

i started digging into it. the deck needs a lot of tlc (couple holes), broken throttle cable, hood's broken, both front wheels need bearings (they might be completely missing), needs a new seat, steering is pretty hard, battery is 8 yrs old (trickle charging it now to see if its savable) and the worst for last... the intake valve doesn't move. i'm planning on pulling the motor off it tomorrow and cracking open the crankcase. the valve is stuck open, so it doesn't build any compression when i turn it over. (turns alright by hand) or should i pull the head off first? and make sure something isn't holding it open?

i'll post pics of it at home tomorrow. this one is off the craigs add.

·
John Deere 316 Onan
875 Posts
Valves normally are held open because they are bent and simply get stuck in the guide.

·
Premium Member
5,415 Posts
I'd pay $50 for it :fing32: It wouldn't hurt to try some cleaner on the valve to see if you can free it up. Unless it is bent like SWIGIN said. :goodl:

·
Collector of many tractors
15,274 Posts
A little rust on the valve stem will stop it from closing... Sometimes just tapping it closed a few times is all thats needed...

·
Professional amateur!
1,003 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
heres a pic with the valve cover off. it looks like the valve is all the way closed maybe, if you compare it to the exhaust valve. maybe the tappet is broken?

·
Professional amateur!
1,003 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
pulled the head, the valve seat for the intake valve was sitting side ways in there. i straightened it out and tapped it back in. i don't know what really holds that in.

put it all back together and she fires. had it running for about 2 seconds by itself and then i ran out of battery power to restart it. jump pack is back on the charger. the battery from it doesn't seem to be taking a charge at all.

slapped the hood back on quick to take some pics...

heres the deck, i can't spin the blades by hand and the bracket for that left wheel is rusted off. both wheels are shot too.

·
Registered
1,917 Posts
Wow, I didn't know the 112L had the old 3-blade 38/39 deck. Sure no one swapped a 46" off a 116 under there? They were three blade for sure. I'm rusty on that era though.

Dropped valve guides were the only downfall of that flathead Kaw engine. If they ever overheat (and you've got some signs of that in the bore) it could happen. You might be able to peen around it to hold it in, but usually it requires a new block. Hopefully someone else can recommend a better repair.

·
Professional amateur!
1,003 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
yea i'm sure its been overheated. all the cooling fins were packed with grass/dirt. i didn't think about pinging it, i should of done that before putting it back in. i guess if it comes out again i'll get a second chance, as long as nothing worse happens.

i looked up on www.tractordata.com and it says its suppose to have a two blade deck. so someone definitely swapped decks, this one is the 39". still has the tag on it. so i think that means the 38" off the '71 112 should slide right in.

·
Jersey Mechanic
1,015 Posts
The only way that you have a chance for that valve seat to stay in is to center punch the block around the seat to hold it in. I usually like to lap the valve back into the seat after center punching it in.

Dan

·
Professional amateur!
1,003 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
well i pulled the head again to see if i could ping the block but i couldn't get the valve seat to come back out so i just gently tapped it in as far as it would go and put it back together.

good news! its runs. i had to barrow the battery from my other 112 (which is too big to go in this one) and run jumpers to it. it doesn't run with out the choke part way on. luckily theres a hole in the linkage bracket that holds the throttle full on and the choke part way on, so i jammed my center punch in there and it stayed running.
i drove it around the driveway and yard for probably 10 mins.

this thing turns on a dime, i cranked the wheel to the left and floored it, i had to stop after a couple circles becuase i was getting too dizzy. :sidelaugh

now i just need a battery, bearings, free the steering up (take both hands to steer), throttle cable, slime all tires, and figure out what to do with the deck.

·
Premium Member
9,754 Posts
Well 38" decks are $3600.00 a dozen( a tad more than a dime a dozen) but you only need 1.
It still sound like a great find to me !!!!!

·
Super Moderator
35,869 Posts
You can always look on eBay for a deck. They go for about $200 - $350 in reasonable shape!

·
Professional amateur!
1,003 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
i'm thinking about taking the deck off the '71 and putting it on if i get this running good enough to mow.

i've got bearings, keys and gaskets ready to order but someone stole my credit card number and my bank canceled it and sent me a new one this week. guess i'll have to wait until it shows up to order anything. (sure as **** not using my debit card online) :pcwiz:

·
Premium Member
9,754 Posts
You can always look on eBay for a deck. They go for about $200 - $350 in reasonable shape!
:fing20: Duh!! That would be about $3600.00 a dozen by my calculations , YES?

·
Professional amateur!
1,003 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
finally got my replacement credit card on friday so i got the wheel bearings and muffler ordered up.

i had put up a wanted add on craigs for either a grass catcher or a tow behind sweeper, a really nice guy emailed me with a catcher off his 185. for $50 delivered too, its a perfect fit on the 112L but i have to modify the mower deck to accept the blower. either that or find a replacement deck that fits.

·
Collector of many tractors
15,274 Posts
You punch the alum. around the seat after the seat is in the hole... This swells the alum. to hold the seat...

·
Super Moderator
35,869 Posts
:fing20: Duh!! That would be about $3600.00 a dozen by my calculations , YES?

Yes, but that large number is scary so I thought I'd put the cost of a single deck in front of him! I hate numbers that go over the $1000.00 mark! Seldom do I wander there for tractors (only one so far).

·
Professional amateur!
1,003 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
got the muffler today. i kinda figured they would of sent everything in the same box but apparently not. ordered everything from the GreenPartStore.

in case anyones wondering, JD muffler # AM101481 is only the basic muffler, doesn't come with the bracket or the pipe that goes between it and the head. i thought for sure i had ordered the wrong one looking at the box, but it was correct and after adjusting some bracket holes, i had it on. i don't need ear muffs anymore! definitely quieter. now i need to get a new exhaust gasket and figure out a way to seal the pipe where it connects to the muffler.

still waiting on the wheel bearings and the ignition keys. UPS has another package for me tomorrow. it weights .9 lbs so i'm guessing thats just the keys. thats the only one i got a shipping number for too. i had no idea i was getting anything today until the UPS guy backed down my driveway.

i still need to figure out how i'm going to do the drive pulley off the deck for the blower unit. its a type 38 or 39 deck and doesn't have any connection points. the blower unit has a spear thing and a little arm so i'll have to bolt some stuff onto the deck for connection points.

i pulled one pulley off the old deck and was thinking about stacking it on top of the other one and tapping a hole through the bearing shaft to run a 1/4" bolt into it. anyone have any ideas?

·
Professional amateur!
1,003 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
time for an update...

got all the parts i ordered and installed except for one wheel bearing. the old one slid right out and the new one slid right in, the hub was all worn out. so i just stuck one of the old ones that was still pretty good in there. (i did pack more grease in it)

i ended up making a short piece of wire temporarily to hold the choke on all the time so i can drive it around.

still haven't fixed the hood. i have the fiberglass kit to do it, i just have no experience doing fiberglass so i'm pretty hesitant getting started.

i was driving all around today hauling dirt from one side of the yard to the other. seems to run fairly well with the choke on all the time. didn't have any problems pulling ~300-400lbs of dirt and bricks around.

·
Professional amateur!
1,003 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
i forgot to mention i bought a mowing deck for it. $50 plus $80 shipping. :fing20:

it looks like it'll work but the front bracket that came with the tractor has been modified and will not fit on the correct deck. also the grass blower doesn't look like it'll fit. its a lot closer to fitting my 112's type 38 deck. so maybe i'll just make a mounting bracket on that tractor for the bagger.

oh well the good news is, i'm picking up a JD R72 tomorrow for $50 and it sounds and looks like its in better shape.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts