My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hey guys. This is my version of the alternator upgrade on a 2001 455.

First I want to thank member Dan33Klein who did this conversion a few years back. His thread on this is in the technical section and also member PEIDeerefan who was kind enough to mail me the connector pigtail off of a faulty external regulator that he had.

My 455 has the more typical Stator style 20 amp alternator with the external regulator and I wanted to upgrade to a 40 amp Denso style with the internal regulator. The current set up works fine but I am installing a new-to-me Femco cab for the winter which already has additional lights and a wiper motor and am wanting to add a small electric heater. So this is why I decided to change to a higher output alternator to a handle more accessories.

My goal was to do this install as "factory" looking as possible without altering or splicing any of the factory wiring. This ended up 100% plug and play. It could be reverted back at any time.

Parts list:
Alternator (ebay)
Relay plug and empty terminals (Amazon)
Alternator pos terminal boot (Amazon)
SPST Relay (local automotive supply)
Other misc. wire, terminals, shrink tube I had at home already
Total cost was around $100 US with the Alternator accounting for about $80 of this.

Original Stator style 20 amp installed.
[/URL][/IMG]

Comparison between the two.
[/URL][/IMG]

Denso style installed (the upper mounting ear goes on the opposite side of the adjustment bracket compared to the 20 amp style)
[/URL][/IMG]

Denso style with charge and ground wire installed
[/URL][/IMG]

Terminals jumpered on the factory regulator connector so I could test function (this got the 12v switched to the alternator for reference)
[/URL][/IMG]
[/URL][/IMG]

Parts to make "factory" looking wiring / relay to send both 12v reference to Alternator as well as send signal to battery light on dash all within the factory w/h connection for the external regulator.
[/URL][/IMG]
[/URL][/IMG]

Installed in place of the original external regulator. For me it was easiest to mount by removing the now unused regulator.
[/URL][/IMG]

Most important is the wiring picture I made after going blind reading wiring schematics. It made it a lot easier to summarize and do the install in the garage. This should answer most questions.
[/URL][/IMG]

Items of note:
There are many models out there with a 20 amp system that use the external regulator part number AM126304 so although my wiring colours are for my era 455 I would have to think that the connector terminal cavities I have shown in my wiring picture would be the same for those other models. Check for yourself though if you decide to do this. NO guarantee.

I'm not going to explain the way the dash light functions between the two set ups. Dan33Klein did a good job of that in his thread but most of the relay wiring is to get the dash light working properly. If you didn't care about that, the install is much easier. Add a charge wire to the alternator, plug in the factory 'T' connection, jumper the two terminals shown in the one picture above. Start the tractor and test the battery for a charge voltage. The dash light would never light up no matter the charging condition.

The 40 amp alternator is part number AM877740 (Denso 100211-45930). The reality is that any 93mm Denso alternator will bolt in. The key is the pulley diameter (69 mm) and that the internal regulator is clocked at 12:00 so the factory connector reaches. I found a 60 amp Denso alternator with these same 2 criteria so of course I got that one so I had more available draw for a larger heater. It was only $10 more. It has an equivalent Yanmar part number so it was used on other Yanmar engines. That 60 amp Denso part number is 101211-2590.

Maybe this thread will encourage others who are contemplating this change to take the plunge. It is pretty easy once you wrap your head around the wiring diagrams.

·
Registered
2,189 Posts
Great install. Glad I could help. Good to see another thread on this. I still a bunch of PMs on this and I try to help the best I can but I haven’t owned my 455 in almost 5 years. Yours looks great. Thanks!

·
Registered
910 Posts
That came out great! Definitely saving this for a future project. Did you add up the draw you expect for the femco cab and accessories? I only use led and a plumbed heater, which isnt yet plumbed, so the 20 has been fine for me, but will probably upgrade someday. Thanks for sharing!

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
That came out great! Definitely saving this for a future project. Did you add up the draw you expect for the femco cab and accessories? I only use led and a plumbed heater, which isnt yet plumbed, so the 20 has been fine for me, but will probably upgrade someday. Thanks for sharing!
Thank you. I happy with the outcome so far. I haven't yet calculated my total draw. I intend on getting the cab on and wired in the next few weeks and then run the tractor with everything turned on at once and take a measurement. That way I will know my true "worst case" current draw. I can size a heater then based on what I have remaining available. I'm going to run a full electric heater so the element is the biggest item obviously. You will just have the fan. I too am in the process of changing all lighting to LED type to minimize that aspect.

·
Premium Member
382 Posts
I upgraded mine several months ago and never got the dash lights hooked up due to the wires being so faded. I might give the light another look, although I'm also looking at doing some major fabrication on the dash.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2,156 Posts
Awesome job on the install Jeff. Glad I was able to send you a small piece of the puzzle to make the install a little easier. Send us some pictures when you finish up with the cab and heater install. :fing32::fing32:

·
Registered
4 Posts
First off, a special thanks to Jeff and Dan for their efforts on the 455 alternator project. I just completed changing my 455 20A alternator to the 40A style and it works perfect, just as described in the posts. The only remaining item is to locate a dead voltage regulator, AM126304, AUC12632, subs to M97348 so I can utilize the wiring plug to make the installation clean and have to ability to revert back to the 20M style if so desired. If anyone has a dead voltage regulator I would really appreciate getting the electrical connector. Thanks to everyone, this is a great forum.

·
4,251 Posts
Hey guys. This is my version of the alternator upgrade on a 2001 455.

First I want to thank member Dan33Klein who did this conversion a few years back. His thread on this is in the technical section and also member PEIDeerefan who was kind enough to mail me the connector pigtail off of a faulty external regulator that he had.

My 455 has the more typical Stator style 20 amp alternator with the external regulator and I wanted to upgrade to a 40 amp Denso style with the internal regulator. The current set up works fine but I am installing a new-to-me Femco cab for the winter which already has additional lights and a wiper motor and am wanting to add a small electric heater. So this is why I decided to change to a higher output alternator to a handle more accessories.

My goal was to do this install as "factory" looking as possible without altering or splicing any of the factory wiring. This ended up 100% plug and play. It could be reverted back at any time.

Parts list:
Alternator (ebay)
Relay plug and empty terminals (Amazon)
Alternator pos terminal boot (Amazon)
SPST Relay (local automotive supply)
Other misc. wire, terminals, shrink tube I had at home already
Total cost was around $100 US with the Alternator accounting for about $80 of this.

Original Stator style 20 amp installed.
[/URL][/IMG]

Comparison between the two.
[/URL][/IMG]

Denso style installed (the upper mounting ear goes on the opposite side of the adjustment bracket compared to the 20 amp style)
[/URL][/IMG]

Denso style with charge and ground wire installed
[/URL][/IMG]

Terminals jumpered on the factory regulator connector so I could test function (this got the 12v switched to the alternator for reference)
[/URL][/IMG]
[/URL][/IMG]

Parts to make "factory" looking wiring / relay to send both 12v reference to Alternator as well as send signal to battery light on dash all within the factory w/h connection for the external regulator.
[/URL][/IMG]
[/URL][/IMG]

Installed in place of the original external regulator. For me it was easiest to mount by removing the now unused regulator.
[/URL][/IMG]

Most important is the wiring picture I made after going blind reading wiring schematics. It made it a lot easier to summarize and do the install in the garage. This should answer most questions.
[/URL][/IMG]

Items of note:
There are many models out there with a 20 amp system that use the external regulator part number AM126304 so although my wiring colours are for my era 455 I would have to think that the connector terminal cavities I have shown in my wiring picture would be the same for those other models. Check for yourself though if you decide to do this. NO guarantee.

I'm not going to explain the way the dash light functions between the two set ups. Dan33Klein did a good job of that in his thread but most of the relay wiring is to get the dash light working properly. If you didn't care about that, the install is much easier. Add a charge wire to the alternator, plug in the factory 'T' connection, jumper the two terminals shown in the one picture above. Start the tractor and test the battery for a charge voltage. The dash light would never light up no matter the charging condition.

The 40 amp alternator is part number AM877740 (Denso 100211-45930). The reality is that any 93mm Denso alternator will bolt in. The key is the pulley diameter (69 mm) and that the internal regulator is clocked at 12:00 so the factory connector reaches. I found a 60 amp Denso alternator with these same 2 criteria so of course I got that one so I had more available draw for a larger heater. It was only $10 more. It has an equivalent Yanmar part number so it was used on other Yanmar engines. That 60 amp Denso part number is 101211-2590.

Maybe this thread will encourage others who are contemplating this change to take the plunge. It is pretty easy once you wrap your head around the wiring diagrams.
As you can probably see...the photos that you posted are not visible any more...any chance that you could repost them?...it is a really interesting topic and it sounds like your project came out well

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
As you can probably see...the photos that you posted are not visible any more...any chance that you could repost them?...it is a really interesting topic and it sounds like your project came out well
Are they not still attached in posts # 2 & 3 ? I see them now in the thread and when I click on them they enlarge. Yes post #1 they are gone due to photobucket policy changes. If they aren't seen by others in posts 2 & 3 I can try again.

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
First off, a special thanks to Jeff and Dan for their efforts on the 455 alternator project. I just completed changing my 455 20A alternator to the 40A style and it works perfect, just as described in the posts. The only remaining item is to locate a dead voltage regulator, AM126304, AUC12632, subs to M97348 so I can utilize the wiring plug to make the installation clean and have to ability to revert back to the 20M style if so desired. If anyone has a dead voltage regulator I would really appreciate getting the electrical connector. Thanks to everyone, this is a great forum.
Glad it worked out and the pictures I emailed helped. That wiring diagram picture I think really tells the story. It is a great mod for sure.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts