My Tractor Forum banner
  • Are you passionate about Tractors? Would you like to write about topics that interest you and get paid for it? Read all about it here!
1 - 20 of 87 Posts

·
Premium Member
04 Craftsman DYT 4000, 06 Craftsman GS6500
134 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hello.
I am so glad I found this forum for research and to share info with all of you.
My project started with a plan to ease the burden of my ongoing landscaping adventures.
I first found a 2004 DYT4000
Bob Vila Signature Series lawn tractor. I didn't realize that it wasn't designed to handle the work I had planned for it.
I plan to install a sleeve hitch and buy or build a box scraper to level and prepare my yard.
I then found this 2006 Craftsman GS6500 6 speed with the Kohler 26 HP Courage engine. At $900 I had to call about it. The seller also had a like new 48" Dozer Blade, wheel weights and chains for $300. I knew it was better equipped for my plans and overlooked the not so apparent damage.
We agreed on $1300 and seller included the steel garden cart. When I started checking the tractor out closer I found the frame and drawbar had suffered significant damage and both needed to be replaced. I got lucky when I found I could buy a replacement frame and drawbar! I realize this is getting long winded but a few fellow inthusiest here have expressed an interest in my project.
My plan is to reinforce the frame and drawbar to a point that there will never be an issue with either of them.
Now for a some pics!
Tire Wheel Vehicle Automotive tire Tread
Automotive tire Motor vehicle Tire Automotive design Bumper
Wheel Tire Automotive tire Light Alloy wheel
Font Material property Parallel Rectangle Paper
Motor vehicle Wheel Tire Font Poster
Tire Wheel Riding mower Vehicle Automotive tire

·
Premium Member
134 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
I have stripped the tractor to the frame, transaxle and wheels etc.
I sourced enough 1/4" thick 3x3 angle iron and 3" plate steel to suite my needs. I also found a pair of 1/4" thick "stanchions" that will be the backbone of my project!
Here are some updated pics..
Tire Wheel Automotive tire Car Vehicle
Sleeve Automotive tire Bag Automotive design Luggage and bags
Rectangle Wood Grey Road surface Line
Wheel Tire Motor vehicle Automotive tire Vehicle
Wood Motor vehicle Outdoor furniture Grass Road surface
Water Road surface Asphalt Grey Wall
Wood Line Road surface Material property Asphalt

·
Premium Member
12,488 Posts
Looking good so far!

Mike

·
Premium Member
134 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
Looking good so far!

Mike
Thank you!
I am piecing the sleeve hitch brackets etc together slowly but surely. I cut the 2" square tubing and a couple 3" long pieces of 1 1/2" square tubing for spacers. The drawbar is 13" wide and my Brinley Hardy sleeve hitch is 10" wide. The 1 1/2" square tubing worked perfect to make the spacers.
I'm anxious to mock the assembly up so I can move on to welding it together.

·
Premium Member
134 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Here are a few updated pics.
I got the upper actuator attachment made. I started to weld it to my stanchions and soon realized I was going a bit overkill.
I've decided the stanchions being bolted through the drawbar and into the frame along with grade 8 hardware will suffice for my needs. I'm anxious to finish up the sleeve hitch lower attachment mounting plates etc.
Pics:
Font Gas Audio equipment Electronic device Machine
Sleeve Tie Auto part Metal Electric blue
Asphalt Automotive exterior Line Road surface Gas
Furniture Tripod Chair Camera accessory Wood
Tire Table saws Motor vehicle Automotive tire Automotive design

·
Premium Member
I use scissors! Twice a week.
7,310 Posts
Depending on how strong the actuator is and what kind of forces it will be dealing with, I would suggest moving those two brackets on the frame for it closer together, and remove those two bushings you are using as spacers. That's an open invitation for the pin to bend with that much space between the actuator arm and the support brackets.

·
Premium Member
134 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Black Automotive tire Wood Gas Tints and shades
Depending on how strong the actuator is and what kind of forces it will be dealing with, I would suggest moving those two brackets on the frame for it closer together, and remove those two bushings you are using as spacers. That's an open invitation for the pin to bend with that much space between the actuator arm and the support brackets.
I appreciate your input.
When I was researching the different options I found this pic from Johnny Products.
It shows the lower actuator attachment point using bushings and it appears to have alot of side to side clearance.
I kept my side to side to virtually nothing and am using a solid bronze bushing available from Murdochs for $3.09 each. If I notice any deflection or bend in the 1/2" hitch pin then I will consider moving the brackets in. I staged them out the 1/2" per side for the narrowest bushing and to give me the clearance for the upper actuator anchor point. My upper brackets are 1/4" thick by 2" and contoured to clear the actuator.
Thanks again for the input.

·
Premium Member
12,488 Posts
FWIW, here's mine (bought used, on the tractor, I think it's a JB one). Not only is the spacing wide on the top, but the bottom is offset, which is surprising.

Mike

Automotive tire Bumper Automotive wheel system Motor vehicle Gas

·
Premium Member
134 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thanks.
I still need to modify the Brinley Hardey sleeve hitch lower arm. It's a B68 vintage and I hate to alter it but the OCD in me says I need to mount the actuator in the center.
I've seen alot of mechanical linked ones with a single rod on the far side. I still would prefer to stay centered. I am going to try and save the Brinley Hardey tag with the s/n for old times sake!

·
Premium Member
134 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Quick pics of Brinley Hardey Sleeve hitch "before" modifications.
"After" modifications pics soon!
Automotive tire Wood Yellow Font Drink
Wood Bumper Auto part Gas Automotive exterior

·
Premium Member
134 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 · (Edited)
Thank you!
As much fun I am having doing this, my Wife's patience is growing thin. Still, I plan to get alot of use from this little GS6500!
I got the lower brackets fabricated and welded to the 2x2 square tubing that I am adding to the sleeve hitch itself. I still need to clean up the welds.
Oh yeah, I am adding the space for the bushings on the bottom also.
I may add steel spacers in place of the bronze bushing/ spacers on top and weld them in place.
Making the slots for the "float" position was interesting!
Automotive tire Rectangle Road surface Asphalt Automotive exterior
Grey Road surface Rectangle Font Pattern

·
Registered
1,946 Posts
Don't know how much you operated the tractor before tear down, but I have a little older GT5000 and it's become one of my favorites. Excellent steering and maneuverability. Operating a dozer or light box blade should be a joy.

·
Premium Member
134 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Hello and thanks for your reply.
When I bought the GS6500 I knew it had issues. It would only go into a few forward gears. No neutral or reverse. I did test drive it a bit but I didn't realize the extent of the damage. I've used the 04 DYT4000 a fair amount and am looking forward to getting the 6500 back onto "dirt"!

·
Premium Member
12,488 Posts
I don't think the GS6500 is a continuation of the GT5000 (which I believe has lineage back to the Suburbans).

Yes, it uses the GT trannies and has the larger tires and decks, but I believe the frames are different, at least up front. I was told by a Sears employee that they're narrower up front, which seems to be true, when you look at the fitup guides for snowblowers across model years (and whether adapter kits are needed, etc.).

Having said that, I don't baby mine, and it seems plenty strong.

Mike

·
Premium Member
134 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Pic update of progress.
I still need to clean up some welds and add some contour.
Aircraft Vehicle Road surface Asphalt Airplane
Road surface Automotive tire Asphalt Gas Automotive exterior
Motor vehicle Road surface Asphalt Gas Automotive exterior
Engineering Gas Machine Auto part Electrical wiring
Plant Electrical wiring Engineering Gas Electronic engineering
Tripod Camera accessory Cameras & optics Engineering Machine
Automotive tire Motor vehicle Asphalt Road surface Bumper
Road surface Gas Camera accessory Wood Composite material
Automotive tire Bumper Automotive exterior Tire Rim

·
Premium Member
12,488 Posts
Wow, that's looking great!

Mine passed 300 hours today.

Mike

Automotive tire Motor vehicle Grey Bumper Hood
Wheel Tire Plant Vehicle Automotive tire

Reactions: Deepdarkwater

·
Premium Member
134 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 · (Edited)
Thank you!
I also plan to add some 2 1/2" square tubing between the Dozer Blade frame brackets. I figure it will act as a stubby front bumper when I'm not using the blade and help reinforce/ protect the brackets.

1 - 20 of 87 Posts