My Tractor Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Premium Member
93 GT 6000, 04 Craftsman DYT 4000, 06 Craftsman GS6500
286 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello and thank all of you for making this site a wealth of knowledge and encouragement. You have added alot of excitement into my slow but sure plans to help restore some fun and cool pieces of history.
I first ordered a replacement ammeter as the one on the little tractor is broken and only serves to plug the slot in the dash curently.
I started checking the front hood mounting brackets and noticed they had been altered by a "conflict" with something fairly solid. Such as crashing into something. Fortunately it was a mild "conflict". I removed and straightened the brackets and reinstalled them.
I moved on to checking out the carburetor as the engine would only run on starting fluid. I noticed the choke shaft was frozen in the open position.
I removed the "air 90" elbow and carburetor to start a rebuild.
I was able to free up the choke shaft and thought I was making some progress. I soaked the float bowl screw with some penetrating oil and tried to remove the big bolt/ fastener holding the float bowl on. It barely moved. I soaked it some more and tried gently working it tight and loose a very slow amount. I wasn't getting much movement at all. Not even 1/16 of a turn! As I was trying to persuade it some more it "broke" loose. Literally! I soon realized the carb was broken beyond repair. It had broken the bottom portion off beyond repair.
I decided a new carburetor was in order and decided to give "Isavetractors.com" a bit of my business.
I had already researched the parts availability and felt that Norman had a good NEW replacement available for a reasonable price. I've ordered the carburetor and necessary gaskets so they should be here by weeks end!
Pics:
Wheel Tire Automotive tire Tread Motor vehicle
Tire Motor vehicle Automotive tire Wheel Automotive design
Wheel Tire Vehicle Motor vehicle Automotive tire
Automotive tire Motor vehicle Wood Bumper Automotive exterior
Automotive tire Automotive wheel system Gas Auto part Machine
Automotive tire Motor vehicle Automotive exterior Automotive wheel system Gas
Motor vehicle Automotive exterior Automotive wheel system Bumper Gas
Bumper Automotive exterior Motor vehicle Gas Automotive tire

·
Premium Member
286 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thank you. I am enjoying getting to tinker on these smaller Garden Tractors. I need to go back to work but job calls in the hiring hall have been slow. Once I am fully retired I am looking forward to having a better set up to do thus kind of work. It has been alot of fun!

·
Premium Member
286 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I received the Ammeter today. I checked to make sure it is the correct style. It appears to be a direct replacement.
I should be receiving the replacement carburetor and mounting gaskets tomorrow.
I am looking into access to a bead Blasting cabinet to completely remove the rust on the inside of the air cleaner top housing and inner lid.
I believe that it must have happened due to the time left outside baking in the sun. From the looks of the seat I would guess it spent at least a few years outside. I'm just glad that there isn't more obvious damage!
After I get the new carburetor on and have it running I can check out the transmission for function.
BTW, I was happy to find these stampings on back of the replacement ammeter.
Pics:
Font Motor vehicle Gas Bumper Automotive exterior
Material property Font Gas Metal Machine

·
Registered
577 Posts
Man with that much corrosion in the carb I'd be worried about what the cylinders look like. You might want to pull your heads and have a look.

·
Premium Member
286 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
When I pulled the carburetor off I saw no signs of moisture etc that turned into corrosion. I feel pretty confident that the damage is confined to the carburetor, 90 degree elbow and air filter. After I assess the rest of the tractor I will decide on what to prioritize. It did start but only on starting fluid. However, it sounded like it was just a fuel delivery/ air / fuel ratio issue. At some point down the road I would plan to completely go through the engine. Right now I'm not prepared to get that deep into this project.
I still need to finish the 5.3L Chevy LS engine for my 2002 Silverado. I am replacing the 4.8 L engine that has 250K miles on it. Amazing enough, the 4.8L still runs great but has slightly low oil pressure at idle.

·
Registered
577 Posts
When I pulled the carburetor off I saw no signs of moisture etc that turned into corrosion. I feel pretty confident that the damage is confined to the carburetor, 90 degree elbow and air filter.
That's good.

·
Premium Member
286 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 · (Edited)
I just found what I thought was the correct steering wheel for this GT6000.
Looking at the picture Dave55 posted of his red GT6000 I noticed it has the same steering wheel mine came with. I'm still happy to of found what I hope is an adequate replacement that is close, complete and has character! "Edited to reflect that my replacement is close but not original"!
My model # is 917-255960
The s/n is: 071492S 007582
I believe that makes it produced July 14 1992.
Somewhere I found this model # listed as a 1993 year.
I'm not sure of the actual year other than what the tag says.
It has the Kohler horizontal shaft 18 HP opposed twin engine.
Pic of the steering wheel I found!
Bicycle part Rim Automotive wheel system Spoke Steering part
Wheel Automotive tire Vehicle Tire Automotive design

Reactions: PA318Guy

·
Registered
47 Posts
That’s really interesting on the steering wheel Sparkey. I looked up the part number for your steering wheel on Sears Parts Direct and then compared it to mine. I see that your 93 and my 94 both use the same part number, shown in the diagrams as a steering wheel with 4 spokes coming from the center.

However, it looks like both your 93 and my 94 are equipped with the same two spoke steering wheel.

Hood Automotive tire Motor vehicle Grille Automotive lighting

Excited to see how your latest project progresses.

·
Premium Member
286 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
That’s really interesting on the steering wheel Sparkey. I looked up the part number for your steering wheel on Sears Parts Direct and then compared it to mine. I see that your 93 and my 94 both use the same part number, shown in the diagrams as a steering wheel with 4 spokes coming from the center.

However, it looks like both your 93 and my 94 are equipped with the same two spoke steering wheel.

View attachment 2536434

Excited to see how your latest project progresses.
Thanks for the input. I noticed the same thing about the pic showing a different design.
I believe the parts diagram may be a generic illustration and as a result it is a bit misleading. Either way, I still like the 4 spoke look and It's a complete wheel. I didn't feel like I would be able to find the center cap so I went with what I thought was right. As much as I like all original I realize it's not an older vintage tractor.
I may some day find the correct parts but I'm OK with what I found.
This is becoming a new passion and I'm sure it will be a great hobby!

·
Premium Member
286 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I did get the air filter housing bead blasted yesterday. I'm hoping to get it primed and painted today. Hopefully it warms up a bit.
I plan to paint it with "Armature" paint. It's alot more durable and seems to be impervious to chemicals such as gasoline!

·
Premium Member
286 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 · (Edited)
I was able to prime all the air cleaner parts. I then painted everything using an aerosol can of "Red Insulating Varnish" or armature paint as I know it.
I didn't alter the outside of the airfilter housing as I wanted to preserve the original finish with the factory decals..
I was surprised how quickly the paint dried to the touch!
After everything was dry I sanded the gasket surfaces flat using a flat plate and sheet of sand paper.
Back in my early days of working at Peterson's Speed and Machine we used this paint to seal the inside of a cast iron block. It helped speed the return of the oil to the pan. It was alot of work but just one of the procedures when prepping a race engine.
I always liked the way it looked especially when contrasted to the black enamel we painted the outside of the engine!
Pics:
Wood Gas Composite material Auto part Metal
Orange Door Wood Gas Audio equipment
Wood Orange Audio equipment Gas Automotive wheel system
Wheel Motor vehicle Automotive tire Orange Automotive lighting
Wheel Motor vehicle Automotive tire Red Rim

·
Premium Member
286 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Here is a bit of info on the armature paint.
Pics:
Drinkware Automotive tire Line Cylinder Gas
Font Gas Wood Signage Symbol
Automotive tire Blue Fluid Liquid Drink

·
Premium Member
286 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 · (Edited)
I found time today to install the new carburetor.
I changed the inline fuel filter and added an inline fuel shut off valve. I got it running, did a quick adjustment after it warmed up. I was able to test the transaxle for all gears and high/ low function. It appears to work fine so far. I also tested the PTO for the mow deck
That seems to work as well.
When I first started it, it was blowing a bit of trash from underneath. I recently pressurewashed it at the car wash. After watching a few YouTube videos of disassembling the Kohler M18, I figure I will end up pulling the engine someday and stripping it down to clean everything thoroughly. I haven't tested the charging circuit yet. I still need to replace the ammeter, get a new battery etc.
Pics for now:
Tire Automotive tire Light Motor vehicle Wheel
Automotive tire Hood Light Motor vehicle Automotive design

Reactions: No Quarter

·
Premium Member
286 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I plan to completely go through this GT6000 eventually. It will definitely be a longer term project. I have been looking around for replacement and or spare parts to see what is available. I located another GT6000 that the seller says it runs but smokes, needs 2 tires etc. I am not sure of the year but it has the same steering wheel as my 93 came with. I contacted the seller to let him know I was interested in buying it or possibly trading him something for it. I haven't heard back but he did say he would call. I'd love to have a pair of these GT6000's to sort through when I get started on the restoration.
The guy lives about 75 miles from my place in Parker. I hope I can arrange for him to hold it until I can pick it up.

·
Super Moderator
42,568 Posts

·
Premium Member
286 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Starting to look Purdy!
Thank you! I haven't really started on this one yet. I just wanted to take care of some of the rust etc.
It is starting to look like I will be able to pick up the other GT6000 next Saturday. I am no where near ready to start collecting these yet but it's a great opportunity to acquire the spare at a reasonable price.
I have a few pics from the guys ad:

·
Registered
47 Posts

·
Premium Member
286 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
That's my guess also. Judging from the steering wheel. I don't know enough about the differences from year to year to know yet. Either way it will have the Kohler M18 and transaxle that should interchange. I'm anxious to check out and see if it is actually a model 917.255960 after all! That would be a great stroke of luck for me!

1 - 20 of 21 Posts