My Tractor Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
189 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I thought I would start a thread on my 1967 Simplicity Broadmoor project, although I have another thread from last year asking what to do with it. Now I am going to try to document the progress I hope to make as I create something useful from what is now pretty much a rusty lawn ornament.

Here are pictures of it not long after I bought it for about $50 circa 2002. It included a deck, plow, and chains (not shown). I made a flat cart for it as you can see, and it is hitched up with a standard trailer ball hitch. I also removed the original seat and replaced it with an old office chair, which was rather impractical but darned comfortable:





Last year I made a video of the tractor after it had been mostly just sitting outside, showing that the engine turned over and almost started. I had been having problems with the carburetor when I abandoned the attempts to get it running. Also one of the rear axle pins had sheared off. I fixed it with a bolt, but that's probably not going to last very long. When it was running, the engine ran pretty rough and it was also too loud, so that was another factor that made me less than enthusiastic to restore it. So here are clips of before and after:



Last night I removed the hood and I cleaned up the deck a little bit. I was able to get all three blades to turn, although they are rather stiff. And I removed the dual pulleys in the front and was able to free up the bearing of one of them that had frozen up. So here are pictures of the tractor and the deck:

This shows the original color as seen on the inside of the hood, and the rest of the tractor which has faded over its 46 years:


This is the mowing deck (I think it's 34 inches):


This picture of the deck shows that it had been repainted with some sort of metallic blue, but most of it has peeled off. I think the deck had been serviced and welded not long before I bought it. I have a folder with a fairly complete set of maintenance records:


This shows the grass cutting ejection chute (or whatever it's called) and a metal flap I had put on it for safety purposes. But I think it should be replaced with a hinged piece. The original tractor had a bagger attachment, but I don't have it. Anybody have the correct piece, or at least a picture of what it should look like?


Here is the old engine, which has been sitting outside for more than a year. I have other parts (starter/generator, carburetor, fuel tank) on the porch:


Finally, here are some images of a 10 HP Craftsman engine that I removed when I made my electric thingy, and I am thinking about trying to use it on this Broadmoor, rather than converting it to electric as I originally planned. It looks like it would be an easy fit, and I'd have a working tractor (hopefully). Then I can just finish the Craftsman rider as an electric utility vehicle that can be used to pull the cart I'm working on. Then maybe I'll electrify another tractor, or use the Broadmoor if the gas engine craps out.




It was removed from this (my Craftsman Electric Thingy):
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
324 Posts
Nice tractor i am currently restoring a 707 and freshening up a 738,
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
70 Posts
That old engine looks and sounds like it has zero compression, I think it would be a good call to attempt putting the Craftsman engine in if it runs and will fit!

That's a nice little project you've got there though. Are you planning on getting it working and turning it in to a work-horse tractor, or completely restoring it with new paint?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
189 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I think I will go ahead with my plans to make it into an electric tractor. I have a 5 HP motor that should be plenty powerful enough. I do plan to take it mostly apart and give it a nice coat of paint, but not really restore it. I have a 7.5 HP VFD but it is 460V and would need at least 480 VDC of batteries (40x12V). I can get 12V 12Ah SLAs for about $20 each, or 12V 8Ah for $16 each which are manufactured and sold locally. I already have 4 of the 12Ah, so I'd need 36 more for $720, or 40 of the 8Ah for $640. Or I can get a 230V VFD and use half as many.

Some 230V drives I could use:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/MOST-PERFEC...20V-VARIABLE-FREQUENCY-DRIVE-d5-/300916538456 $133
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Control-Tec...-Frequency-Drive-Motor-240v-VFD-/330836340246 $220
http://www.ebay.com/itm/FINCOR-5200...-VAC-output-5205P0-5HP-Free-S-H-/370801105848 $60

I'll post more if and when I make more progress. I might first finish up my Craftsman "toy".
 
1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Top