My Tractor Forum banner
21 - 40 of 421 Posts

·
Registered
2021 John Deere S240-42"
343 Posts
Discussion Starter · #21 ·
Yeah, unfortunately, those tri-rib tires won’t fit your current rims. Pre-1966 machines had the option for thinner front rims, I THINK they dropped that in ‘66. If you can nail down the rims tho, they’ll be an exact swap onto your spindles. The tires you can definitely get from Miller, if the rain stops here I’ll pop out to my tractor tent and get you the numbers off mine.

There was also the option for thinner rear rims, I came across a set a couple years ago.
I think that 1965 you pictured there has the thin rears on it too, but hard to tell with ags on it. One thing I’d mention about the ags tho, is they WILL tear up your lawn right quick! Especially if you have any weight on the tractor...found that out running my loader tractor around in the back yard.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Hummm... I will be spending a lot on other parts... First impulse is to use the rims that I have... better to spend the money elsewhere... Having said that, if I am going with narrower front, now will be the time to get them. To avoid having to buy another set of tires...

If I stick with the rims I have, that means that I will have to go with something like this: 16x6.50-8 Deestone Rib 4 ply Tire

And for the back: 23x8.50-12 Carlisle Tru Power 4 Ply Tire

·
The Admin from... Nowhere!
14,096 Posts
Sounds about right on the tires you're looking at, although I'm not in front of one of my machines right now. Just keep an eye out for the narrow rims, front and back, sometime you can luck into them when you're not expecting to. My narrow front rims, I was biking home from work one day and a guy I know was mowing his front lawn with his 112 SF with narrow rims on the front of it! I screeched to a stop and (once he shut the mower off) asked him what he thought of the narrows...

"I don't like'em, wish I could find some regular rims!"

Deal! By later that night, he had my spare set of regular of fronts, complete with tires!

·
Registered
2021 John Deere S240-42"
343 Posts
Discussion Starter · #23 ·
Sounds about right on the tires you're looking at, although I'm not in front of one of my machines right now. Just keep an eye out for the narrow rims, front and back, sometime you can luck into them when you're not expecting to. My narrow front rims, I was biking home from work one day and a guy I know was mowing his front lawn with his 112 SF with narrow rims on the front of it! I screeched to a stop and (once he shut the mower off) asked him what he thought of the narrows...

"I don't like'em, wish I could find some regular rims!"

Deal! By later that night, he had my spare set of regular of fronts, complete with tires!
Will keep an eye for a set. For now, I just needed tires to get this rolling... Ended up ordering from eBay because I wanted the same brand in all four corners (silly, I know...) :

23X8.50-12 / 4 Ply Carlisle Tru Power Tires Set of 2
16X6.50-8 / 4 Ply Carlisle Straight Rib Tires Set of 2

·
Registered
2021 John Deere S240-42"
343 Posts
Discussion Starter · #24 ·
Had to shop around... a few things are less expensive via eBay, others via HAPCO... and the difference is significant enough that I just can't order it all from HAPCO...

So from HAPCO:
Fuel Bowl Assembly
Fuel Bowl Gasket
Air Filter
Head Gasket (ordered two to keep a spare)

From eBay
Carburetor repair kit
Complete carburetor (just in case)
Tires with inner tubes
Fuel tank cap/gauge

Forgot to get a spark plug, but I probably can find that at the local auto shop...

Planning to head out in a couple of hours... I rather break that 16 hours trip in smaller segments to get some rest along the way... More photos tomorrow when I get to Texas.

Reactions: PA318Guy

·
Registered
2021 John Deere S240-42"
343 Posts
Long drive… financially speaking, all this made no sense…between trailer rental, diesel cost, etc.

But I am spending time with my sister, on my way to see two of my uncles… so we made it a mini vacation…

We took my brother-in-law’s Mom with us…. She is a hoot!! 🤣

Brother-in-law disconnecting the deck:

·
14,096 Posts
Hey congrats! Glad you got a bit of a holiday out of it too! Don't even think about "financial sense".... If more of us had any of that when it came to tractors, there'd be a LOT fewer people on this forum! :) Littletractorgal and I drove 600 kms (about 450 miles, I think) each way for MY first round fender 110... For which I way crazy overpaid I found out later, especially since it needed engine work... Kept it for a couple years, then I appropriated my grandfather's RF 112 hydraulic lift from my dad's yard, then LTGal found me a RF 110 with hydraulic lift like, 10 minutes out of town... These little guys really get under your skin!

·
Super Moderator
37,082 Posts
Financial sense, you are obviously on the wrong forum! :) We don't worry about thinks like budgets, they are made to be blown!

·
Registered
2021 John Deere S240-42"
343 Posts
Discussion Starter · #29 · (Edited)
Looks like I am in the perfect support group :LOL::ROFLMAO::LOL:

·
Registered
230 Posts
Budget? What’s that?! I drove 200 miles round trip for my ‘67 112, then two years later I drove 400 miles round trip for my ‘66 110. They get lonely by themselves:cool:

Reactions: wachuko

·
Super Moderator
17,359 Posts
Budget? What’s that?! I drove 200 miles round trip for my ‘67 112, then two years later I drove 400 miles round trip for my ‘66 110. They get lonely by themselves:cool:
I gave Up Long road trips Years ago I will travel 4hrs one way & 4hrs Back any further I don't Need it. Bringing My Previous old Simplicity 7016 From Greensboro, NC to Cowan, TN and Then finally Elburn, IL was the furthest I have gone for a Tractor Was living In Cowan,Tn at the time for about another 2 months wife & Her Businesses Partners Restaurant went south (y)

Reactions: wachuko

·
Registered
2021 John Deere S240-42"
343 Posts
Discussion Starter · #32 · (Edited)
Well…3 hours away from home. When I get home it will end up being a 3,000 miles round trip to pick it up.

·
Registered
2021 John Deere S240-42"
343 Posts
Discussion Starter · #33 ·
Quick question, if in Neutral, it should roll freely, correct???

·
Registered
1,403 Posts
If its not, check the brake band. It might be rusted on to the pulley. Mine was.

·
Registered
2021 John Deere S240-42"
343 Posts
Discussion Starter · #35 ·
If its not, check the brake band. It might be rusted on to the pulley. Mine was.
Thank you! With all the tires busted we did not even tried to find neutral. We were able to slide it into the trailer once the deck was removed. But it was the three of us…

But now here at home I have to get it out and into the garage by myself…Would be nice if it would roll out…

I had not thought about the brake being rusted in place. Will inspect tomorrow to make sure it is free. And will also play trying to find neutral…

·
14,096 Posts
Definitely check the brake band, as yes, that’ll lock it up tight. Did you find neutral? It’s in the center of that plastic shift quadrant, the gearshift should move up and down between the two horizontal slots of the quadrant when it’s in neutral. You might want to see if working it through some of the gears might unlock it too.

·
Registered
2021 John Deere S240-42"
343 Posts
Discussion Starter · #37 ·
Definitely check the brake band, as yes, that’ll lock it up tight. Did you find neutral? It’s in the center of that plastic shift quadrant, the gearshift should move up and down between the two horizontal slots of the quadrant when it’s in neutral. You might want to see if working it through some of the gears might unlock it too.

You guys must be correct... here is a photo of it:

I will clean and make sure it is free... Thank you!

·
Registered
2021 John Deere S240-42"
343 Posts
Discussion Starter · #38 ·
A few photos of the deck. I need to order a set of wheels for it... the missing one fell off as I was moving it to the garage. But the deck looks to be in great condition. All that is surface rust. No perforations from rust anywhere... I will take one photo of the underside as well to share.

Serial number for the deck

And a photo of the front whatchamacallit (I promise to learn what all these parts are called)...

·
14,096 Posts
Front draft plate and draft arms...

(If they ever had a Jeopardy category for What is this part from a RF 110/112, I’d be a millionaire!)

21 - 40 of 421 Posts